Live audio of play calls and live sideline interviews, what’s the point?

XFL Football discussion.
Deacon
Kicker

Live audio of play calls and live sideline interviews, what’s the point?

Post by Deacon »

Guys I’m sorry but I don’t get it, interviewing players after big plays and getting short cliche meathead answers half of which gotta be bleeped does not make the broadcast better, neither does the advance audio play call which is such a combination of words and numbers gibberish I’m clueless of what it means or details. Maybe it’s just me but damn just let the broadcast team in booth paint the picture of the game in the educated and insightful way they did there homework for.
Xtremedb3
Running Back

Re: Live audio of play calls and live sideline interviews, what’s the point?

Post by Xtremedb3 »

Most of it’s just you .... keep in mind the XFL was aiming for the hardcore football fans with this product.

The play calling and interviews bring you closer to the game and players
Adz43
Linebacker

Post by Adz43 »

Xtremedb3 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:25 am Most of it’s just you .... keep in mind the XFL was aiming for the hardcore football fans with this product.

The play calling and interviews bring you closer to the game and players
The playcalling is whatever to me.

Interviews are cringeworthy though when the vast majority of players are annoyed by it...
HVGuardian
Receiver

Post by HVGuardian »

I personally like the play calling. It makes me feel like I am learning new terminology and brings me closer to the game.

The sideline interviews seem kind of intrusive and pointless though.
Vipers6
Receiver

Post by Vipers6 »

HVGuardian wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:14 am I personally like the play calling. It makes me feel like I am learning new terminology and brings me closer to the game.

The sideline interviews seem kind of intrusive and pointless though.
I love hearing the play calls - offense and defense. What's interesting to me is how different terminology is from team to team and how advanced play calling is now vs. when I coached in the 90's/2000's. I was watching somebody the other day and they called "rip" as part of the call. Rip in the offensive packages I coached was usually a motion call (right - Liz motion left - tag it with A, B, Z or Y rip/liz, etc.). So i'm watching for motion and there was no motion, so must have been part of their formation/blocking call or a tag to a route.

So for me, that part is fun, seeing if I can guess what's coming based on the call. The color commentators hit the call right every now and then, but they miss a bunch of them too. Again, it speaks to how terminology varies by team/package, etc.

On another note, I coached against G.A. Mangus when he was the head coach at Delaware Valley College. Kind of cool to see him out there dialing it up (or trying to) with the Guardians.
Xtremedb3
Running Back

Post by Xtremedb3 »

Interviews are what gives the players of the league their personality’s ...

Montez Carter was 3rd on the depth chart and is now becoming a star

Headlines over Matt McGloin interview

Online from the defenders trying to do his Fn job

A what were you thinking moment when Everyone was lashing out about the Renegades player who tried to recover the ball in the end zone of downing it at the 1

These interviews were replayed over day time networks on ESPN and gave social media a lot to talk about

So from an XFL fan who has watched every game

Please keep the interviews and play calling 👌🏽
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

The interviews aren't for me. I'm all for getting cameras and mics on the sidelines to catch what's happening, but the interviews are so cringey. There have been some funny moments though.

I love the play calls, even if I can't decipher a tenth of it.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Deacon
Kicker

Post by Deacon »

Ok 🤷🏼‍♂️ Whatever it takes to get more tv viewers and more social media clicks then
Regular Joe
Quarterback

Post by Regular Joe »

The coaches audio is real cool! The sideline interviews are the same. McGloin with his conspiracy theories. Landry Jones being polite but like "wtf" after being asked the same question 3 times for interceptions, comes back and throws for 300 yards in the 4th Q.
free dj mix download. all punk & hardcore. party tape. more cuss words then any hip hop mixtape. https://soundcloud.com/some-guy-2492895 Click on 'More' and download. dont forget both sides.
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

I don't like the in-game interviews.

The coaches play calling is okay for occasional use (big 3rd or 4th down, PAT, Etc.), but keep them off the screen during the play (ABC/ESPN).

With players, coaches, and the Ref, mic'd up, along with the announcers and sideline reporters, it's hard to tell who's talking at times.

Also, was the QB cadence being broadcast over the PA system in STL last week? I thought I heard the announcer mention that and it sounded odd at times.
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?