Live audio of play calls and live sideline interviews, what’s the point?

XFL Football discussion.
Firecop
Coach

Re: Live audio of play calls and live sideline interviews, what’s the point?

Post by Firecop »

I agree with most above, lose the interviews and keep the play calling. It IS confusing at times to even understand who is talking or more often talking over whom. Still, the games and rules are fun and I am in it for the long run.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
HVGuardian
Receiver

Post by HVGuardian »

Andibald wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:07 am I don't like the in-game interviews.

The coaches play calling is okay for occasional use (big 3rd or 4th down, PAT, Etc.), but keep them off the screen during the play (ABC/ESPN).

With players, coaches, and the Ref, mic'd up, along with the announcers and sideline reporters, it's hard to tell who's talking at times.

Also, was the QB cadence being broadcast over the PA system in STL last week? I thought I heard the announcer mention that and it sounded odd at times.
Agree with keeping coaches off the screen. I don’t need to see them while they call plays, I need to see the play.

Also agree with too many people talking at once/over each other. Hopefully that gets worked out as the season goes on. Hard to believe we are almost 40% done with the season already!
StoneSentry
Running Back

Post by StoneSentry »

I'm okay with the sideline interviews. For the most part players have handled them well and given interesting feedback. The live playcalling is indecipherable to me, but fortunately the commentators often explain what the calls mean (i.e. "this will probably be a run to the left"). So, no complaints about either of those things.

If I wanted the XFL to cover their games exactly like the NFL, I'd just watch old NFL games over again. I enjoy the different flavor they add to their broadcasts. The networks have done a good job, especially FOX.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

Sideline interviews are just another window into the heart of the game. I agree that sometimes they are pointless, when the player gives a textbook answer that could have waited until a post-game interview, but there are some interviews which expose the inside of the game.

Going back to 2001, sideline interviews were part of the game and some memorable ones come to mind, such as QB Jeff Brohm saying he couldn't stay away from playing a game after he was injured because he currently had a pulse. At Purdue, where Brohm currently coaches, his players are fully aware of that quote. (Made possible through a sideline interview) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTJkFi06LFk
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
BengalErnst
Quarterback

Post by BengalErnst »

How bad ass would it be to see the XFL go out and get XFL1.0 alums Scott Milanovich and Jeff Brohm as Head Coaches for year 2?
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

This is something I don't see the NFL ever adapting.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

BengalErnst wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:35 pm How bad ass would it be to see the XFL go out and get XFL1.0 alums Scott Milanovich and Jeff Brohm as Head Coaches for year 2?
Considering Brohm is scheduled to earn $5.55 million plus bonuses this fall, incredibly bad ass.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

I like both. Anything that gets me closer to the game is a plus. The sideline interviews can be cliched and canned as far as the answers, but for every five of those blah ones you get a gem, and I think that tradeoff is worth it. Hearing the play calls is interesting and it's nice in this go-round of the XFL to actually have folks in the booth who can break down what the calls mean. It's also cool to see which coaches take advantage of the audio not shutting off with a certain amount of time left on the play clock to continue to instruct, and those who just get the play call out and leave the rest up to the QB.
@gregmparks