Running the ball seems to be working.

XFL Football discussion.
MidwestJimmy
Kicker

Running the ball seems to be working.

Post by MidwestJimmy »

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there have been more successful running plays in the XFL so far than in the NFL. Is it because the DTs and LBs are not as good (or maybe smaller)? Or is it because all the 3-WR formations XFL offenses are based out of put smaller nickel defenses on the field, even on first down? Whatever the reason, I like 10 and 15 yard runs. In the NFL, it seems nobody can run the ball anymore.

On a related side note, Tampa Bay has a tiny starting DT in Nikita Whitlock who only weights 250 pounds. If I'm an OC, I'm running at him all game. The broadcaster mentioned him, and says he's good at "sliding" around blocks. At that size, he better be!
BengalErnst
Quarterback

Re: Running the ball seems to be working.

Post by BengalErnst »

I don't think I agree with this take from my observations thru the first three weeks. It would be interesting to see some stats or data on this.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Here's one stat: In 2019, NFL offenses got 32.46% of their yards rushing. So far, XFL teams have gotten 25.71% of their yards rushing. YPC would be interesting as well.

Anecdotally, St. Louis, Tampa, and Dallas all look great on the ground.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Sacramento XFL
Receiver

Post by Sacramento XFL »

Rushing the ball in interesting to me. If you get only 1 or 2 yards, the play totally sucks (in my opinion). But, even when you get just 5 or 6 yards I like seeing that. Especially if you are more likely (in the XFL) to go on 4th downs.
Hammerpgh
Receiver

Post by Hammerpgh »

The running game seemed to come more to the fore this week. St Louis in particular look really strong in that department. Maybe the best balanced team in the XFL?
steinerfhc
Quarterback

Post by steinerfhc »

Hammerpgh wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:37 pm The running game seemed to come more to the fore this week. St Louis in particular look really strong in that department. Maybe the best balanced team in the XFL?
St. Louis maybe just that, but that what Hayes's style is to be run first and pass second but they have a good QB that can do both well. But Hayes more than most teams in the league went ground and pound style over passing but it works because they have good runners and a OL line that can make then opennings.
Hammerpgh
Receiver

Post by Hammerpgh »

And didn't they just prove that last night. The RB's could barely move the ball but this week Ta'amu took over both on the ground and in the air. He looks a class QB.