MVP

Re: How bad is "too bad" in LA?

Post by MGB01 »

You mean parity I hope ;)
Metallifreak10
Running Back

Post by Metallifreak10 »

MGB01 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:57 am You mean parity I hope ;)
Nah, I’m just an idiot lol.

Yes, Parity as in equal, not parody as in a cheap imitation. I got no good excuse for the mistake haha.
MidwestJimmy
Kicker

Post by MidwestJimmy »

Vince McMahon and WWE were very shortsighted when they put a team in Los Angeles. They're not even interested in the NFL, so why would they support an XFL team? Assuming the X survives for a second season, I hope the Wildcats move. (If they go to Chicago, they would probably change their nickname to avoid confusion with Chicago's college team, the Northwestern Wildcats.)
TrueViper
Receiver

Post by TrueViper »

MidwestJimmy wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:45 am Vince McMahon and WWE were very shortsighted when they put a team in Los Angeles. They're not even interested in the NFL, so why would they support an XFL team? Assuming the X survives for a second season, I hope the Wildcats move. (If they go to Chicago, they would probably change their nickname to avoid confusion with Chicago's college team, the Northwestern Wildcats.)
Why wouldn't they just go south to San Diego?
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

MidwestJimmy wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:45 am Vince McMahon and WWE were very shortsighted when they put a team in Los Angeles. They're not even interested in the NFL, so why would they support an XFL team? Assuming the X survives for a second season, I hope the Wildcats move. (If they go to Chicago, they would probably change their nickname to avoid confusion with Chicago's college team, the Northwestern Wildcats.)
Pretty sure if they moved that quickly the XFL could kiss their current TV deal goodbye. Anyone want to watch games on B/R Live again?
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
MidwestJimmy
Kicker

Post by MidwestJimmy »

TrueViper wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:07 pm
That would be better. I just threw Chicago out there because this time around XFL/McMahon likes NFL cities. If that area got a team, I would rather it be Milwaukee. San Diego is getting a new stadium for SDSU, but it won't be completed for a while.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

A lot of it is that the networks, rightly or wrongly, insist on this crap—unless, of course, the league is willing to buy the airtime.

They used to insist on New York, LA AND Chicago. Eventually, after the Blitz of the USFL and the Enforcers of the old XFL completely bombed in terms of attendance, they dropped their Chicago demands. So now it's mostly New York and LA. New York's been relatively good with attendance over the years, so they haven't been a problem. LA, on the other hand, has never been attended well. Not as bad as Chicago, though. On the other hand, you look at their TV ratings and they're not that bad. Their Week 2 game in LA was the most-watched game of the week. Week 3's game with LA had the smallest week-to-week decline among the four networks. It seems that football fans became accustomed to watching football at home on TV rather than dealing with the region's notoriously bad traffic to go out to a stadium.

So you look at LA and its most common alternative, San Diego. San Diego had an AAF team. I think it ended up finishing third in attendance, just ahead of perennial alt-league pitfall market Birmingham—and many of the attendance figures were grossly inflated by as much as double. The city of San Diego charged the AAF through the nose to use their stadium, more than St. Louis is charging the XFL. And yet you didn't really see the kind of groundswell, grassroots support that the Battlehawks have drawn, or even the Dragons in Seattle.

I don't know what kind of deal the LA stadium is giving the Wildcats, and as much as on paper the San Diego market (jilted by an NFL team, having nothing in terms of NHL or NBA to compete against in the winter, and the largest population of any non-NFL market) should be the better option, Los Angeles at this point has a little more to offer. They're drawing as well as the Chargers in terms of home fans (though they're not getting the swell of road fans the Chargers usually get), and if you're doing as well as the NFL is in your home market, you're probably doing something right. Though that's a VERY low bar.
Regular Joe
Quarterback

Post by Regular Joe »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:35 pm
MidwestJimmy wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:45 am They're drawing as well as the Chargers in terms of home fans (though they're not getting the swell of road fans the Chargers usually get)
True. And the crowd is not rooting against them.

And after whipping DC like that and the hirings & firings of the first two weeks..nice to know people find them good viewing.
free dj mix download. all punk & hardcore. party tape. more cuss words then any hip hop mixtape. https://soundcloud.com/some-guy-2492895 Click on 'More' and download. dont forget both sides.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

No shortsighted was the guy that threw together a league and laughably "had it running", including a team already in SD, by the time the first airings of This Was The XFL were all done.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

TrueViper wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:07 pm
Because TV viewers is the driver and LA is 5 times the Neilsen market size