Fan base will come from XFL cities

XFL Football discussion.
tshanks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Fan base will come from XFL cities

Post by tshanks »

If the league is trying to build a fan base they won’t be able to do much until they announce some franchises. The people talking about this were likely fans of the old XFL. Any new fans will come when a team is placed in their city.
Lover of the game, and looking forward to Spring football. Reporting on the XFL.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Fan base will come from XFL cities

Post by MarkNelson »

I think this was largely true during XFL 1.0. The XFL’s biggest boosters came from the places where the teams were. Once they announce some team cities we will all see the fan base build.
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

This is a good point. To build a fan base they have to have some teams. This is all coming...
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

I hope they don't rush the selection, they need to take their time. Don't make risky moves, that's for expansion cities. Go to places you know it will work. Even if they don't put an XFL team in Indiana, I'll still be a fan.
Ready for the team reveals...again
PostFootball
Kicker

Post by PostFootball »

they are taking their time. Keep in mind, they are really trying to plant a seed. the want it to grow and expand. they do not want these to the 8 teams forever, just the first 8 teams of more. If people just get into the mindset of not supporting because there is no team, it is a problem as that is short sighted.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

PostFootball wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:29 pm they are taking their time. Keep in mind, they are really trying to plant a seed. the want it to grow and expand. they do not want these to the 8 teams forever, just the first 8 teams of more. If people just get into the mindset of not supporting because there is no team, it is a problem as that is short sighted.
That's true. These are just the first 8. If the league succeeds, then more will come.
GoDogs
Running Back

Post by GoDogs »

I see the same thing. Teams strategically placed in areas with a good to great potential fan support, a football culture, and in larger population centers.

This past year I traveled Katy, Texas (a suburb of Houston) post Hurricane Harvey, and toured a $72 million dollar High School stadium. (Completely blew my mind). I can see a team in Houston (for example as it fits the description above).

If a team isn’t placed in my region (Central Cal- Northern Cal), I’ll likely wait to see who the players are and from (ie. ex local college, high School or even pro players) and the likelihood of being able to catch game (before I commit to a team).

I can see other less populated places (as someone mentioned on another post) like Fargo, becoming players if the league can get going (XFL’s version of the Packers). But for now too much of a risk.
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

When they pick eight cities for teams, many will be disappointed. Hopefully the disappointed fans will attach themselves to the new teams rather than waking away.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

Those who walk away aren't true XFL fans. Hopefully nobody walks away though :|
PostFootball
Kicker

Post by PostFootball »

People who walk away are self defeating people. Those are people that really do not believe in the XFL. if the league does well they can expand in as little as 3 years and start adding markets. Walking away just makes it harder to get to that point. This is a fledgling league and needs some type of support to make it.