Do you guys like the constant NFL references during XFL Games?

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Do you guys like the constant NFL references during XFL Games?

Post by GDAWG »

Through three weeks of the XFL, one of the main constants of the telecasts have been the numerous NFL references, directly mentioning the teams. Example, during the Houston vs. Tampa game, the announcers mentioned June Jones and Jerry Glanville working together "with the Houston Oilers." They even had a feature on PJ Walker talking about his time with the Indianapolis Colts. They always mention "so and so was drafted in the ______ round of the NFL draft by _____" A lot of that has to do with the fact that both Fox and ESPN are NFL TV partners more than likely. I don't mind the constant references. In fact, I want the team of Kurt Menefee and Greg Olsen to do the next Seattle Dragons home game just to hear how many times they mention that Olsen will be playing for that stadium in the fall. When they kicked off the Roughnecks vs. Vipers the announcers mentioned "Raymond James Stadium, home of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers" when they could have said "Raymond James Stadium, the home of Tampa's other professional football team."

I don't mind the constant NFL references. But what is your opinion? Do you like it? Hate it? Indifferent?
MGB01
MVP

Re: Do you guys like the constant NFL references during XFL Games?

Post by MGB01 »

I can accept it as a background thing. But just no "this guy out of X" like we need to convince people after three weeks that these are actual players that we didn't pull out of the Y.

I know, there's always a first time viewer, but honestly, how many of those are there gonna be for week four?
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

I'm fine with it. Giving players' pro backgrounds familiarizes them with the audience and shows that these aren't guys just picked up off the street; many of them are talented enough to play in the NFL (and have played there), but circumstances, injury or otherwise, have found them on the outside looking in. Sometimes, that adds to the interesting stories told on the broadcasts.

95% of the players in the XFL are looking to use the league as a springboard to get back into the NFL, so it would be disingenuous to ignore that aspect of it.
@gregmparks
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Don't love it, but don't hate it either. It's context. Necessary, but it should be used sparingly.
BengalErnst
Quarterback

Post by BengalErnst »

There's no reason to hide from it. I see nothing wrong with it and think it has been used perfectly so far.
jjnova
Running Back

Post by jjnova »

The only references I don't like are when they put a rule on the screen to explain it, and also reference another league.

For Instance:
XFL Complete Pass:

One foot needs to be in bounds for a catch to be ruled complete. (NCAA Rule)
NCAA rule? You just put the rule on the screen, how many points of reference do people need?
Raising heck...
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

jjnova wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:49 am The only references I don't like are when they put a rule on the screen to explain it, and also reference another league.

For Instance:
XFL Complete Pass:

One foot needs to be in bounds for a catch to be ruled complete. (NCAA Rule)
NCAA rule? You just put the rule on the screen, how many points of reference do people need?
they state the rule and where else in major FB its used
i Like that
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I'm pretty militant on this issue, but it hasn't bothered me the way it did with the AAF broadcasts.

I definitely don't mind them talking about where someone was drafted and by whom. That's not much different than mentioning where they went to college.

The point isn't to wall off the XFL from the rest of football and pretend the rest of it doesn't exist. It's just to take themselves seriously and act like the game and season itself is important.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:08 am I'm pretty militant on this issue, but it hasn't bothered me the way it did with the AAF broadcasts.

I definitely don't mind them talking about where someone was drafted and by whom. That's not much different than mentioning where they went to college.

The point isn't to wall off the XFL from the rest of football and pretend the rest of it doesn't exist. It's just to take themselves seriously and act like the game and season itself is important.
The old XFL made that mistake. It seemed they prided themselves on hiring people who were obscure nobodies. Tim Lester was a math teacher. Mark Grieb, one of the biggest stars in arena football, was a guy going for his MBA. I know it ranks fairly low on the scale of how the old XFL crashed and burned, but openly emphasizing that "Our Players Are Nowhere Near Career Pro Football Players" certainly did not make the football look good, especially when... well... the football did not look good at all.
bige12
Linebacker

Post by bige12 »

I say the references to NFL is ok, you need to know some of the background on some players in league