The behind the scenes and rarely mentioned fact that hurts the XFL, THE NFL 12 practice squad players hurting the XFL

XFL Football discussion.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: The behind the scenes and rarely mentioned fact that hurts the XFL, THE NFL 12 practice squad players hurting the X

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

BengalErnst wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:29 pm
Firecop wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:36 pm LeoNY, you bring up a great point. Football, from Little Man to the NFL is a pyramid and not everyone, no matter how gifted, can make it to the top level. Whether people believe it or not, there are plenty of college players who have the skill, drive, and tenacity to play at the pro level - IF GIVEN A FAIR CHANCE. It is a numbers game, pure and simple, maybe just maybe with the possible exception of OL personnel.
The talent is there for the XFL to succeed.
And honestly the reason the OL talent always seem to be lacking in this league is because so many of them are needed. Each team need 7-8 good OL or it becomes glaring. This league needs 8 QBs but 50+ OL
Maybe going to a nine-man format would be something worth considering. But I think players, coaches and networks would find such a change to be a bit too radical.
BengalErnst
Quarterback

Re: The behind the scenes and rarely mentioned fact that hurts the XFL, THE NFL 12 practice squad players hurting the X

Post by BengalErnst »

Yeah I don’t think I’m a huge fan of that. One of the appeals for the players of this league is to get them another chance at the nfl and that move wouldn’t help with that
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:31 pm
Firecop wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:36 pm LeoNY, you bring up a great point. Football, from Little Man to the NFL is a pyramid and not everyone, no matter how gifted, can make it to the top level. Whether people believe it or not, there are plenty of college players who have the skill, drive, and tenacity to play at the pro level - IF GIVEN A FAIR CHANCE. It is a numbers game, pure and simple, maybe just maybe with the possible exception of OL personnel.
The talent is there for the XFL to succeed.
And honestly the reason the OL talent always seem to be lacking in this league is because so many of them are needed. Each team need 7-8 good OL or it becomes glaring. This league needs 8 QBs but 50+ OL
Maybe going to a nine-man format would be something worth considering. But I think players, coaches and networks would find such a change to be a bit too radical.
When Vince announced the return of the XFL and "re-imagined" football, I was actually hoping for something like 8 or 9 man football. But, like you mentioned, it likely wouldn't work on the big stage. It would have to be something that developed from the ground up. Smaller cities and regional to start.

With the way "safety" is changing football, the future may be less lineman, less padding and safer tackling (think rugby or A7FL). Perfect for an 8 or 9 man league.

Hopefully, this XFL will succeed and we won't have to worry about alternative formats for quite a while.
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Andibald wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:50 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:31 pm

When Vince announced the return of the XFL and "re-imagined" football, I was actually hoping for something like 8 or 9 man football. But, like you mentioned, it likely wouldn't work on the big stage. It would have to be something that developed from the ground up. Smaller cities and regional to start.

With the way "safety" is changing football, the future may be less lineman, less padding and safer tackling (think rugby or A7FL). Perfect for an 8 or 9 man league.

Hopefully, this XFL will succeed and we won't have to worry about alternative formats for quite a while.
I wouldn't even watch, just play FB and get rid of the crap Goodell put in, I have no prob with the XFL changes however.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

Would mandating the two point stance help? Might make the league too pass heavy, but I feel like that could improve the o-line quality. Any word on why Luck abandoned that idea?
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3