The behind the scenes and rarely mentioned fact that hurts the XFL, THE NFL 12 practice squad players hurting the XFL

XFL Football discussion.
User avatar
Deacon
Kicker
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:02 am
Location: Charlotte

The behind the scenes and rarely mentioned fact that hurts the XFL, THE NFL 12 practice squad players hurting the XFL

Post by Deacon » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:22 am

Ok guys my numbers may not be exact but are just general numbers to make a point - the nfl employs around 400 practice squad players that make around $200,000 a year, (and I think the NFL is adding 2 practice squad players per team in the current negotiations, that’s another 64 players taken away from the XFL player pool) If we could just get XFL salaries up to around that $200,000 level then playing in the XFL would be more desirable then playing on a nfl practice squad. I mean we are talked about roughly 400 players, thats enough to basically fill the entire roster of all XFL teams in a talent/quality upgrade. Your thoughts?

User avatar
LeoNY
Coach
Posts: 975
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 8:20 pm

Re: The behind the scenes and rarely mentioned fact that hurts the XFL, THE NFL 12 practice squad players hurting the X

Post by LeoNY » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:53 am

NFL practice squad players make 125,000 if they last an entire season on on the squad.

The futures contracts players don’t make anything until March once the season ends. Perhaps the NFL will change that.

XFL salaries will go up if fans buy tickets and watch the games. More profits, more money for the players. The chicken has to come before the eggs.

User avatar
johnnyangryfuzzball
Coach
Posts: 850
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:22 pm

Re: The behind the scenes and rarely mentioned fact that hurts the XFL, THE NFL 12 practice squad players hurting the X

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:54 am

Practice squad deals aren't that big of a deal.

1. With CBA restrictions, there isn't all that much physical "practice" anyway.

2. The practice squad contracts expire in January. That's before XFL training camp begins. Practice squad players can—and frequently do—play on both.

3. Practice squads have a limit on how long a player can stay there.

4. Practice squads are inherently unstable. Players bouncing on and off the squad for only a few days at a time (see: PJ Walker) is a commonplace occurrence.

The futures contract concerns me more than the practice squad itself.

4th&long
Coach
Posts: 930
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Re: The behind the scenes and rarely mentioned fact that hurts the XFL, THE NFL 12 practice squad players hurting the X

Post by 4th&long » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:03 am

Deacon wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:22 am
Ok guys my numbers may not be exact but are just general numbers to make a point - the nfl employs around 400 practice squad players that make around $200,000 a year, (and I think the NFL is adding 2 practice squad players per team in the current negotiations, that’s another 64 players taken away from the XFL player pool) If we could just get XFL salaries up to around that $200,000 level then playing in the XFL would be more desirable then playing on a nfl practice squad. I mean we are talked about roughly 400 players, thats enough to basically fill the entire roster of all XFL teams in a talent/quality upgrade. Your thoughts?
I brought this u in the NFL CBA structure and XFL Opportunity thread, which should be titled Opportunity and risks.

There is no doubt, IMO, that the NFL does not want another league - even an off-season lower level one. The did the same thing to the UFL, increased # of PS players and camp bodies. They are also talking of raising the minimum salary more than expected, by $90k next yr.... if they sign the new CBA.

The NFL knows that a TV deal worth $200-400mm annually to the XFL will give them the $$$ to grab late round picks and lure PS players. While that actually might BENEFIT the play on the field in the NFL, the ownership and league mgt don't want this to happen.

Lets see if the NFL relaxes some of the other rules to being on a PS like years/games in league.
There are other issues in the CBA that impact XFL, see other thead.

4th&long
Coach
Posts: 930
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Re: The behind the scenes and rarely mentioned fact that hurts the XFL, THE NFL 12 practice squad players hurting the X

Post by 4th&long » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:08 am

LeoNY wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:53 am
NFL practice squad players make 125,000 if they last an entire season on on the squad.

The futures contracts players don’t make anything until March once the season ends. Perhaps the NFL will change that.

XFL salaries will go up if fans buy tickets and watch the games. More profits, more money for the players. The chicken has to come before the eggs.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... azzs8tsrzx

Going to $8400/wk in 2020 or $134400 in 2020.

Agreed and its another reason for the NFL to sign a CBA now before XFL does sign its own TV deal.

GoDogs
Running Back
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:24 pm

Re: The behind the scenes and rarely mentioned fact that hurts the XFL, THE NFL 12 practice squad players hurting the X

Post by GoDogs » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:20 am

In a country with 327.6 million people, over 130 D1 schools, countless D2 and D3 schools, I’m sure the XFL can scrounge up 400 more quality players.

User avatar
LeoNY
Coach
Posts: 975
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 8:20 pm

Re: The behind the scenes and rarely mentioned fact that hurts the XFL, THE NFL 12 practice squad players hurting the X

Post by LeoNY » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:58 am

GoDogs wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:20 am
In a country with 327.6 million people, over 130 D1 schools, countless D2 and D3 schools, I’m sure the XFL can scrounge up 400 more quality players.
I agree. There’s always room for finding quality football players. Even if the NFL extends their seasons or rosters, what they can’t offer is playing time. It’s invaluable. Look what it’s doing for PJ Walker, Cardale Jones and Jordan Ta’amu. Walker has zero regular season playing time in the NFL. Zero passes.

4th&long
Coach
Posts: 930
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Re: The behind the scenes and rarely mentioned fact that hurts the XFL, THE NFL 12 practice squad players hurting the X

Post by 4th&long » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:29 am

GoDogs wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:20 am
In a country with 327.6 million people, over 130 D1 schools, countless D2 and D3 schools, I’m sure the XFL can scrounge up 400 more quality players.
In 1961 NFL had 14 teams AFL 8 and CFL 9

31 vs 41 today yet the population was half, so your point is valid

User avatar
Firecop
Quarterback
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:10 pm

Re: The behind the scenes and rarely mentioned fact that hurts the XFL, THE NFL 12 practice squad players hurting the X

Post by Firecop » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:36 pm

LeoNY, you bring up a great point. Football, from Little Man to the NFL is a pyramid and not everyone, no matter how gifted, can make it to the top level. Whether people believe it or not, there are plenty of college players who have the skill, drive, and tenacity to play at the pro level - IF GIVEN A FAIR CHANCE. It is a numbers game, pure and simple, maybe just maybe with the possible exception of OL personnel.
The talent is there for the XFL to succeed.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair

BengalErnst
Quarterback
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:10 pm

Re: The behind the scenes and rarely mentioned fact that hurts the XFL, THE NFL 12 practice squad players hurting the X

Post by BengalErnst » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:29 pm

Firecop wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:36 pm
LeoNY, you bring up a great point. Football, from Little Man to the NFL is a pyramid and not everyone, no matter how gifted, can make it to the top level. Whether people believe it or not, there are plenty of college players who have the skill, drive, and tenacity to play at the pro level - IF GIVEN A FAIR CHANCE. It is a numbers game, pure and simple, maybe just maybe with the possible exception of OL personnel.
The talent is there for the XFL to succeed.
And honestly the reason the OL talent always seem to be lacking in this league is because so many of them are needed. Each team need 7-8 good OL or it becomes glaring. This league needs 8 QBs but 50+ OL

Post Reply