Week 3 TV ratings and Predictions

XFL Football discussion.
ozzies09tc
Receiver

Re: Week 3 TV ratings and Predictions

Post by ozzies09tc »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:55 pm
Your huge mistake is assuming other sports are like the NHL. They're not. The NHL is shrinking, and fast—faster than even scripted programming, which is dying a slow and miserable death. The NFL is recovering from the Kaepernick fiasco. It has ratings enough to warrant prime-time slots, something the NHL does not.

You took one part of my entire multi-paragraph rebuttal and completely ignored the rest.

You do realize in two years the NHL is expanding, again, for the 12th time in it's history, and will have as many teams as the NFL, correct?

You are probably correct about the contract situation, but to say the NHL is shrinking -when it's quite the opposite- makes your argument less likely to be taken seriously
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

ozzies09tc wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:51 pm
Your huge mistake is assuming other sports are like the NHL. They're not. The NHL is shrinking, and fast—faster than even scripted programming, which is dying a slow and miserable death. The NFL is recovering from the Kaepernick fiasco. It has ratings enough to warrant prime-time slots, something the NHL does not.

You took one part of my entire multi-paragraph rebuttal and completely ignored the rest.

You do realize in two years the NHL is expanding, again, for the 12th time in it's history, and will have as many teams as the NFL, correct?

You are probably correct about the contract situation, but to say the NHL is shrinking -when it's quite the opposite- makes your argument less likely to be taken seriously
Poor choice of words, perhaps. I should have said the NHL's television audience, which is the pertinent point here.
ozzies09tc
Receiver

Post by ozzies09tc »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:56 pm
ozzies09tc wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:51 pm

Poor choice of words, perhaps. I should have said the NHL's television audience, which is the pertinent point here.
You may be correct in saying the tv audience is dipping, however ovechkin has a chance at history so i expect it to go up in the next year or two PLUS Seattle's expansion - that said I dont see ANY tv contract besides NBC regardless what they offer wether it be 2x what it is now or just "more"
StoneSentry
Running Back

Post by StoneSentry »

Does anyone have ratings by market? I'd be very interested to see how the undefeated Roughnecks are faring in Houston.
Regular Joe
Quarterback

Post by Regular Joe »

MGB01 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:31 am
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:32 am
4th&long wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:38 am

Speaking of prime time, Roughnecks/Vipers beat Sixers/Bucks, which only did a 1.1 (NBA would probably have rather had Celtics/Lakers there instead, but Kings had Staples)
Told you guys that was going to be the norm all season. Firecop got my $50?!?!!!
free dj mix download. all punk & hardcore. party tape. more cuss words then any hip hop mixtape. https://soundcloud.com/some-guy-2492895 Click on 'More' and download. dont forget both sides.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

For all the consternation about ratings, here's a reminder of what Sports Business Journal had predicted for the league before the season:

"The XFL Sees A Second Season
XFL ratings will be big enough that the league will have a second season. I’m confident it also will have a third season, but that’s a prediction for next year. The debut broadcasts on ABC and Fox will exceed 2 million viewers. The season average on broadcast will average a respectable 1.5 million viewers. The games on FS1 and ESPN will average a healthy 800,000 viewers."

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jou ... media.aspx
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:03 pm For all the consternation about ratings, here's a reminder of what Sports Business Journal had predicted for the league before the season:

"The XFL Sees A Second Season
XFL ratings will be big enough that the league will have a second season. I’m confident it also will have a third season, but that’s a prediction for next year. The debut broadcasts on ABC and Fox will exceed 2 million viewers. The season average on broadcast will average a respectable 1.5 million viewers. The games on FS1 and ESPN will average a healthy 800,000 viewers."

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jou ... media.aspx
Thanks for posting this, it has the 1.5mm viewers (broadcast) and 800k cable I've seen else where. I read else where that that's the unpublished internal target by the league.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

ESPN2 this week, LAFC/Inter Miami on ESPN

On that note, FOX goes MLS primetime--ATL United/Nashville SC follows Dragons/BattleHawks, lead-in viewers perhaps?