NFL CBA structure and XFL Opportunity

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

NFL CBA structure and XFL Opportunity

Post by 4th&long »

Could the NFL's current CBA structure - Which has seriously LOWERED for MULTI years the value of rookie contracts - what I'm saying is can they lure College grads to XFL INSTEAD of going to NFL. At least bargin players that are getting paid low amounts.

The CBA was a disaster when DeMaurice Smith agreed to it (9/10 yrs ago). And I imagine it won't changed much going forward. They simply are screwing young players and push the Guaranteed revenue share (49% of team rev) up to veterans with 3/4 yrs under their belt.

For example - Gardner Minshew:
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonvill ... hew-29226/
>>Gardner Minshew signed a 4 year, $2,710,884 contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars, including a $190,884 signing bonus, $190,884 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $677,721. <<

Another Example Chris Godwin:
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-b ... win-21826/
>> Chris Godwin signed a 4 year, $3,284,164 contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, including a $792,164 signing bonus, $792,164 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $821,041.<<

I mean in a world where XFL signs a $160-420mm TV contract(s), could they "steal" these players from the NFL if the CBA stays the same and forces low wages on 2-7round rookies?
Last edited by 4th&long on Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: NFL CBA structure and XFL Opportunity

Post by GDAWG »

The XFL should not be signing NFL players still under contract with NFL teams. That would be stupid.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:39 pm The XFL should not be signing NFL players still under contract with NFL teams. That would be stupid.
They can't, they are under contract - what I'm saying is can they lure College grads to XFL INSTEAD of going to NFL.
But thanks I cleaned up my original post.

I'm going to guess this is a legit concern for the NFL.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:49 pm
GDAWG wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:39 pm The XFL should not be signing NFL players still under contract with NFL teams. That would be stupid.
They can't, they are under contract - what I'm saying is can they lure College grads to XFL INSTEAD of going to NFL.

It will depend on what happens as both sides are talking about a new CBA right now.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:59 pm
4th&long wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:49 pm

It will depend on what happens as both sides are talking about a new CBA right now.
Yep, And I'm sure the NFL team is considering this impact.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Sorry, I'm not going to go all Florio and cry poverty for rookies that aren't paid like four and five year vets. If they're stars after 2-3 years you have an argument (in which case they usually sign big money deals anyway), but the average first contract player is more Shaquil Griffin (two good years sandwiched around meh), Chris Carson (ended two of three years on IR), or Will Dissly (ten games over two years) than Mahomes or Russ.

Relearn what killed the USFL (it wasn't Trump, he just did what he does), they signed all these guys that they couldn't pay. Hell that's why the NFL, who was supposedly scared to death of them remember, had supplemental drafts for when, not if, the bottom fell out.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:33 pm Sorry, I'm not going to go all Florio and cry poverty for rookies that aren't paid like four and five year vets. If they're stars after 2-3 years you have an argument (in which case they usually sign big money deals anyway), but the average first contract player is more Shaquil Griffin (two good years sandwiched around meh), Chris Carson (ended two of three years on IR), or Will Dissly (ten games over two years) than Mahomes or Russ.

Relearn what killed the USFL (it wasn't Trump, he just did what he does), they signed all these guys that they couldn't pay. Hell that's why the NFL, who was supposedly scared to death of them remember, had supplemental drafts for when, not if, the bottom fell out.
No one is crying for rookies, I'm stating that the NFLPA signed a horrendous deal that slid salaries from all 1-4 year players and pushed them to multi year veterans. That has potentially opened up an opportunity for the XFL...
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Probably not. Not yet, anyway.

Let me remind you of why that rookie contract scale is the way it is. Back about 10 years ago before they put the wage scale in, these high draft pick rookies who had never proved a damn thing in the NFL were holding the teams that drafted them hostage for huge contracts, higher than even free agents were getting.

At least with the wage scale, players have to earn their money.

Also note this: the rookie wage scale is just that, a scale. The first-round draft picks are paid more. The lower-end draft picks were already on the fringes of the roster and paid accordingly. So, I suppose, if the XFL saw a guy who was a Day 3 draft pick and rated them higher than the NFL did, they could make a move on the guy.

But they're not going to outbid the NFL on Trevor Lawrence or anyone else who the NFL really wants. Plus, I think—given the XFL's own pay scale—such a move would almost exclusively apply to quarterbacks.

The one thing you would be battling is the prestige the NFL brings. Yes, the XFL has a competitive wage for a late-round QB, and it affords what might be a better opportunity to star in a big-city football market on national TV. Cardale Jones is probably making about the same amount of money per game as Minshew when everything adds up.

Come to think of it, now that I analyze it, you do have a point...
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:37 pm
MGB01 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:33 pm Sorry, I'm not going to go all Florio and cry poverty for rookies that aren't paid like four and five year vets. If they're stars after 2-3 years you have an argument (in which case they usually sign big money deals anyway), but the average first contract player is more Shaquil Griffin (two good years sandwiched around meh), Chris Carson (ended two of three years on IR), or Will Dissly (ten games over two years) than Mahomes or Russ.

No one is crying for rookies, I'm stating that the NFLPA signed a horrendous deal that slid salaries from all 1-4 year players and pushed them to multi year veterans. That has potentially opened up an opportunity for the XFL...
Which is the way it should be, should even Mahomes really be making more than Honey Badger, Frank Clark, or anybody else on their second/third contract until they sign their new deal?

How about Watson over JJ Watt? Lamar over Earl Thomas? Or hell with the stars, Germain Ifedi will get 12-14 mil per in a few weeks, should he have had a $30 million contract all along?

The last thing the XFL should be doing is paying rookies and young players double, especially when the financial structure isn't there. The spaces in the graveyard occupied by the WFL and USFL should be proof.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:27 pm Probably not. Not yet, anyway.

Let me remind you of why that rookie contract scale is the way it is. Back about 10 years ago before they put the wage scale in, these high draft pick rookies who had never proved a damn thing in the NFL were holding the teams that drafted them hostage for huge contracts, higher than even free agents were getting.

At least with the wage scale, players have to earn their money.

Also note this: the rookie wage scale is just that, a scale. The first-round draft picks are paid more. The lower-end draft picks were already on the fringes of the roster and paid accordingly. So, I suppose, if the XFL saw a guy who was a Day 3 draft pick and rated them higher than the NFL did, they could make a move on the guy.

But they're not going to outbid the NFL on Trevor Lawrence or anyone else who the NFL really wants. Plus, I think—given the XFL's own pay scale—such a move would almost exclusively apply to quarterbacks.

The one thing you would be battling is the prestige the NFL brings. Yes, the XFL has a competitive wage for a late-round QB, and it affords what might be a better opportunity to star in a big-city football market on national TV. Cardale Jones is probably making about the same amount of money per game as Minshew when everything adds up.

Come to think of it, now that I analyze it, you do have a point...
That's what I said! yeeeeeeeehawwww :mrgreen: