32 team XFL in NFL cities

XFL Football discussion.
Santa Clara Curse
Linebacker

32 team XFL in NFL cities

Post by Santa Clara Curse »

Let's set the record straight, there are people that think the XFL needs to put ALL of their teams in NFL cities. In fact, they are very upset that St. Louis got a team.

Let's see why this is such a bad idea:

The Bay Area - This one I agree with. Only problem, NOBODY wanted to share their stadium with the XFL (not even San Jose State). There is an article that mentioned that awhile ago.

Phoenix - You think putting a team there is a good idea after what happened to the Hotshots? Heck, the Cardinals can't even sell out without opposing fans (Steeler fans invaded Glendale recently).

New Orleans - You really want to put a team in a city that got trashed by a hurricane 15 years ago?

Atlanta - See Phoenix, but replace Hotshots with Legends, and replace 'Steeler fans invaded Glendale' with, uh, 'Eagle fans invaded Atlanta', I guess?

Charlotte - Well, the Hornets are terrible, and the Panthers continue to have identity crisis issues, but there is one roadblock that must be overcomed...ACC basketball.

Minnesota - Vikings own that state. They won't share that stadium with the XFL. And if big name Universities like Stanford and UC-Berkeley wants nothing to do with the XFL, then the University of Minnesota won't either.
That leaves the Twins. Have fun working around their schedule.

Green Bay - You're kidding right? Green Bay over Birmingham and San Antonio. I just don't have words over that idea.

Chicago - I actually do think Chicago can support a second football team. Bill Bidwell's terrible ownership (surprise) is the reason the Cardinals ran off to St. Louis to begin with. But it's probably going to have to be an AFC (aka the AFL) team to make it work, and with a brand new retractable roof stadium opposite of Soldier Field in the city.

Detroit - Actually, not a bad idea for the same reason Washington has a team. Only problem, dealing with the Tigers (Lions are not sharing with the XFL).

Philadelphia - As mentioned elsewhere, the Stars were a flop. If Philadelphia couldn't support two baseball teams long term, what makes you think they will support two football teams? And then there's the 76ers, Flyers and college basketball to deal with.

second L.A. team - Do that and I guarantee you that they will relocate after ONE home game.

Las Vegas - Raiders now own Vegas. Next, please.

Denver - Broncos are in a down period right now, but not the Nuggets and Avalanche. Pass.

Kansas City - Don't let those ratings fool you, because Kansas City ain't Seattle. Plus, there is also a college basketball program in nearby Lawrence, Kansas...and they are pretty good too.

Indianapolis - The Colts are bad, but they'll never share their building with the XFL. Would a Triple-A baseball stadium be all right? Nah.

Nashville - Even with the soccer team, it's not a good idea to go there with the Titans and college basketball to deal with.

Jacksonville - Yes. Do it. Show Shadid and Tony the error of their ways.

Cincinnati - Another Washington situation. But I would rather have Columbus.

Cleveland - See Cincinnati.

Pittsburgh - If empty seats is what you seek, then go right ahead.

Baltimore - More empty seats. Oh, joy.

Miami - Yet, another Washington situation...minus the hardcore fanbase.

second New York team - Enough.

Boston - Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins. Have fun trying to compete with all that.

Buffalo - Might work, but you may need Tiger-Cats and Argonauts fans nearby for help.

And that is why the San Diego's and Louisville's are more worthy of XFL teams.
Last edited by Santa Clara Curse on Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: 32 team XFL in NFL cities

Post by GDAWG »

Louisville? I doubt that the University of Louisville will allow the XFL in their stadium. The new soccer stadium is going to be too small for the XFL at 14,000.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Santa Clara Curse wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:45 pm Let's set the record straight, there are people that think the XFL needs to put ALL of their teams in NFL cities. In fact, they are very upset that St. Louis got a team.
There are? I haven't seen that sentiment expressed on this board.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
kippsmoove
Kicker

Post by kippsmoove »

I think there is opportunity for expansion, but I'd like to see a couple teams in non-NFL towns. The fans would be way more appreciative and passionate about their team.

Ex: Portland, San Diego, San Antonio etc
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

It's just one data point, but if the XFL is looking seriously at expansion already, it would be wise to look at non-XFL market TV ratings. That might be a good starting point for them.
@gregmparks
XFLGUY
Quarterback

Post by XFLGUY »

I don’t recall anyone on this board advocating for anything like this.
Santa Clara Curse
Linebacker

"Louisville? I doubt that the University of Louisville will allow the XFL in their stadium. The new soccer stadium is going to be too small for the XFL at 14,000."

Ah, man! I just checked the type of stadiums Louisville has. You're correct. Vince would have to offer lots of money and a Wrestlemania (which is how Tampa got their XFL team) to the University to agree to share...and it probably won't be enough.

"There are? I haven't seen that sentiment expressed on this board."

"I don’t recall anyone on this board advocating for anything like this."

Try reading some of the messages on the "Birmingham XFL" discussion. And look around the internet too while you are at it.

"I think there is opportunity for expansion, but I'd like to see a couple teams in non-NFL towns. The fans would be way more appreciative and passionate about their team.

Ex: Portland, San Diego, San Antonio etc"

"It's just one data point, but if the XFL is looking seriously at expansion already, it would be wise to look at non-XFL market TV ratings. That might be a good starting point for them."

You two get it!
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Santa Clara Curse wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:19 pmTry reading some of the messages on the "Birmingham XFL" discussion.
Try quoting the posts you're referring to.
Santa Clara Curse wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:19 pmAnd look around the internet too while you are at it.
Not sure why you're ranting at us about stuff you've read elsewhere.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Santa Clara Curse
Linebacker

Tank55 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:58 pm
Santa Clara Curse wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:19 pmTry reading some of the messages on the "Birmingham XFL" discussion.
Santa Clara Curse wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:19 pmAnd look around the internet too while you are at it.
If you can't look for the posters wanting more NFL cities in the Birmingham discussion on your own, then I don't know what to say.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

Santa Clara Curse wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:27 pm
Tank55 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:58 pm
If you can't look for the posters wanting more NFL cities in the Birmingham discussion on your own, then I don't know what to say.
I don't think anyone is specifically advocating for the XFL to go to NFL cities. Rather they're saying for the XFL to succeed they need to focus in major media markets (which makes Birmingham a long shot). It just so happens that there's a lot of crossover with NFL markets.

I also haven't heard anyone upset with St. Louis getting a team.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3