XFLGUY
Quarterback

Birmingham wants an XFL team

Post by XFLGUY »

BengalErnst
Quarterback

Re: Birmingham wants an XFL team

Post by BengalErnst »

Well they shouldn’t have selected to join the AAF..

But seriously, I don’t think the XFL expands too much for year 2, but maybe 10 teams and then 12 teams in year 3 is possible feasible.

San Antonio and Orlando make a lot of sense to me for year 2 expansion. Both cities dominated for the AAF and would install some natural rivalries while saving some money costs wise also.
Bastiat
Kicker

Post by Bastiat »

Am I the only one who doesn’t want to expand? 8 is a great number. I love being able to watch every single game, and having simple round robin scheduling. Even at 8 the league is feeling a shortage at QB. Why dilute it more?

I could see relocation, but I won’t be advocating for expansion at least until the league finds stability after a couple seasons.
jjnova
Running Back

Post by jjnova »

Uh...no.

The Birmingham Iron were the least attended games in the AAF, or if not, it definitely looked like it on video. Every time Legion Field was "broadcast" it looked incredibly sparse. Legion Field is nearly 100 years old.

The only way I would support an expansion in Birmingham, is if the city paid the XFL for it. People there might be die-hard football fans, but there aren't enough of them.
Raising heck...
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

jjnova wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:03 am Uh...no.

The Birmingham Iron were the least attended games in the AAF, or if not, it definitely looked like it on video. Every time Legion Field was "broadcast" it looked incredibly sparse. Legion Field is nearly 100 years old.

The only way I would support an expansion in Birmingham, is if the city paid the XFL for it. People there might be die-hard football fans, but there aren't enough of them.
That issue will be resolved soon: they're building a new, smaller stadium (Protective Stadium) that's slated to open in 2021.

Legion Field is getting to the point where it's too big and too old to be of use to anyone. I suspect it will be demolished eventually.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

I agree bastiat, I am in NO hurry to expand either. It is the death of many start ups - too big, too fast.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
XFLGUY
Quarterback

Post by XFLGUY »

Too few qb’s to go around at this point..
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

XFLGUY wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:06 am https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs42. ... ngham/amp/

At least there upfront about it.
It aint happen jackson.... Sorry Birmingham but your a small TV market.

Never going to happen... get over it.

However... if XFL over performs this yr, A summer league will form that will likely be more aligned with the NFL. Like and AAF2 in larger non-NFL cities. Mark this down.
GoDogs
Running Back

Post by GoDogs »

BengalErnst wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:23 am Well they shouldn’t have selected to join the AAF..

But seriously, I don’t think the XFL expands too much for year 2, but maybe 10 teams and then 12 teams in year 3 is possible feasible.

San Antonio and Orlando make a lot of sense to me for year 2 expansion. Both cities dominated for the AAF and would install some natural rivalries while saving some money costs wise also.
Agreed. Only if those cities get their AAF mascots. If not, it’s San Antonio and San Francisco for me! (You’d have to move Dallas to the East division, with Washington and New York).
Metallifreak10
Running Back

Post by Metallifreak10 »

Keep it at 8 teams for the first 2 years. By year 3, at most, you can add 2 teams. Just remember, every additional team dilutes the quality of players in the league. More and more players will make XFL rosters that aren’t even good enough to make and NFL training camp roster.

Even if the league is kicking butt 5 years down the road, it should never have more than 12 teams. And though I’d like a 12-game season, it would push the championship game into May. And if the NFL starts playing a 17-game season, you already will have to start the XFL season a week later.