Any word on what the championship game will be called?

XFL Football discussion.
XFLGUY
Quarterback

Any word on what the championship game will be called?

Post by XFLGUY »

Or what the trophy handed out at the end of the game will be called? My vote is either the XFL Bowl, or XFL Championship Game, and the trophy handed out called the McMahon trophy.
Andibald
Head Coach

Re: Any word on what the championship game will be called?

Post by Andibald »

XFLGUY wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:10 am Or what the trophy handed out at the end of the game will be called? My vote is either the XFL Bowl, or XFL Championship Game, and the trophy handed out called the McMahon trophy.
The game will be called the "XFL Championship" game. No word on the trophy yet.
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

https://twitter.com/i/status/1228051295933796352

Luck says "The XFL Championship Game" but is written at times as "XFL Championship". One of those for sure :)
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
jjnova
Running Back

Post by jjnova »

The Tommy Maddox Trophy.

The Ron Carpenter Cup.

The Bobby Singh Award.
Raising heck...
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Part of me wants it named after McMahon because it’s his vision, and more importantly money that is paying for all of this to exist. He created a league everyone mocks him for and is paying close to a thousand employees. None of this is possible if not for McMahon taking the risk.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

LeoNY wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:50 am Part of me wants it named after McMahon because it’s his vision, and more importantly money that is paying for all of this to exist. He created a league everyone mocks him for and is paying close to a thousand employees. None of this is possible if not for McMahon taking the risk.
I get that, but we're talking about the guy who doesn't even want inductees to thank him publicly at the WWE Hall-of-Fame ceremony. So I'm not sure he'd sign off on naming the trophy after him.
@gregmparks
jjnova
Running Back

Post by jjnova »

GregParks wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:09 am I get that, but we're talking about the guy who doesn't even want inductees to thank him publicly at the WWE Hall-of-Fame ceremony. So I'm not sure he'd sign off on naming the trophy after him.
To be fair, being inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame has more to do with showmanship and the availability to put the WWE first (doing house shows, traveling to events, being a jobber when necessary). Vince McMahon and his team decide who will (and has the charisma to) be stars. By not wanting his name in their induction speeches, it helps keep the product looking legitimate.

In an undecided sporting event, the recipients of the award are there strictly on their athleticism and ability to execute instructions. A full team effort. I personally think that it makes more sense in the XFL to mention McMahon than in the WWE.

That being said, I would like to see the award named after someone that helped legitimize and moved the league forward. So I have no problem with it having a generic name until someone comes along and impacts the league in a major way. I really like awards named after individuals that are recognized by the league to be great. It's respectful and motivates people to look up who the award is named after.
Raising heck...
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

It is the XFL Championship. Nothing too flashy or complicated... just like the rest of the league.

(Though the original XFL used the name Million Dollar Game, the trophy and wordmark/logo both used "XFL Championship.")
XFLGUY
Quarterback

Post by XFLGUY »

so will this be considered XFL Championship II or will the first XFL Championship game be ignored and this one be considered the first?
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

The Arena league named it's trophy after Jim Foster, and he didn't even pay people.
So the Vincent K. McMahon trophy it is.....it is his vision ....his money.