Reliving The 2001 XFL Season

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Reliving The 2001 XFL Season

Post by MikeMitchell »

It's been awhile. 17 years to be exact. As a hobby, I decided to write for my local XFL team, The New York/New Jersey Hitmen on XFLboard.com.

As a 20 something year old at the time. I was real happy to get the opportunity to write and cover a football team for a website. The XFL gave a lot of players, coaches and front office personnel a chance to extend their pro dreams. On a much much much smaller scale, I got a chance to be a part of the media. Although it didn't even occur to me at the time, that I was even a part of the sports media. The online world was a much different animal back in 2001.

Here I was, a diehard football and wrestling fan writing about a team as a hobby and getting press passes to go to XFL games as a result. A young 20 something year old kid in The Memphis Maniax locker room annoying then Memphis head coach Kippy Brown after his team squandered another 2nd half lead and lost to New York 16-15 in the final seconds of the game. Memphis had a habit of blowing second half leads and I asked Kippy if his team's conditioning played a part in their second half collapses. He snapped at me and said that his players didn't lose leads because they were over worked. I guess that I was an early version of an internet troll annoying a football lifer who ended up coaching for over 3 decades until 2014, where he won a superbowl ring as The Seahawks wr coach.

I am very happy that the XFL is returning in 2020. I am looking forward to it. Nostalgia is king and it's rare that something that flopped so hard, would attempt to rise from the ashes reborn. I guess this is the day and age of reboots. To me, the original XFL was a success. Big thanks to those who run this website and have kept it alive. I have gone into the archives and read my game recaps from the XFL 1.0's 2001 season. I rambled on then, just like i am doing now.
Regular Joe
Quarterback

Re: Reliving The 2001 XFL Season

Post by Regular Joe »

Really?! That stuff is on here somewhere??!!!

I loved that board. I'd Google it now and then over the years ..just because I missed it.

I think I was regular Joe then too

So then you aren't Mike from "Mike In The Morning"

Nonetheless, Aloha!!
free dj mix download. all punk & hardcore. party tape. more cuss words then any hip hop mixtape. https://soundcloud.com/some-guy-2492895 Click on 'More' and download. dont forget both sides.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Regular Joe wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:42 pm Really?! That stuff is on here somewhere??!!!

I loved that board. I'd Google it now and then over the years ..just because I missed it.

Nonetheless, Aloha!!
Aloha. My game recaps are in the archives. They bring back good memories. I am a die hard NFL guy(Jets fan unfortunately). I remember the 2001 Hitmen season better than I do Jets seasons from the last two decades.

There is an account on YouTube. XFL 2001 that has posted every single game from that season. Over the last year, I have gone back and watched those games. It’s the pre hd era, so the quality sucks but it’s fun to revisit.
Regular Joe
Quarterback

Post by Regular Joe »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:11 pm
Regular Joe wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:42 pm Really?! That stuff is on here somewhere??!!!

Nonetheless, Aloha!!
Aloha. My game recaps are in the archives. They bring back good memories. I am a die hard NFL guy(Jets fan unfortunately). I remember the 2001 Hitmen season better than I do Jets seasons from the last two decades.

There is an account on YouTube. XFL 2001 that has posted every single game from that season. Over the last year, I have gone back and watched those games. It’s the pre hd era, so the quality sucks but it’s fun to revisit.
Thanks Mike. I haven't used a messageboard in 20 years since you guys disappeared. So if my messageboard manners seem off and confused and a hot mess. I'm lost. Not really a web guy.

Sorry about the Jets...you know what they say...

"Next year!!"
free dj mix download. all punk & hardcore. party tape. more cuss words then any hip hop mixtape. https://soundcloud.com/some-guy-2492895 Click on 'More' and download. dont forget both sides.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Regular Joe wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:03 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:11 pm

Nonetheless, Aloha!!

Thanks Mike. I haven't used a messageboard in 20 years since you guys disappeared. So if my messageboard manners seem off and confused and a hot mess. I'm lost. Not really a web guy.

Sorry about the Jets...you know what they say...

"Next year!!"
Message boards are really a thing of the past but it's cool to see them come back. This board was so active and crazy back in the day. Just google August 24th 2000. That's when the original XFL revealed it's team names. This board voted on names and sent it to the league. Back when it was The San Jose Demons and the Birmingham team was almost called "Blast".