XFL Championshp to be played at TDECU Stadium in Houston

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

XFL Championshp to be played at TDECU Stadium in Houston

Post by GregParks »

Per U of H beat writer Joseph Duarte on Twitter (@Joseph_Duarte):

"Sources: The Harris County-Houston Sports Authority and XFL will hold a press conference Thursday to announce inaugural XFL championship game will be played at TDECU Stadium on University of Houston campus"

XFL got to see Houston up-close during training camp and they must've liked what they saw. I know some stumped for a location outside any of the eight XFL cities, but that would've been a great risk in the first season. Would've been cool to see it go to the city without a team that had the most consistently high TV ratings in that market, but they really couldn't wait for weeks' worth of info to come in before negotiating.
@gregmparks
starsfan24
Running Back

Re: XFL Championshp to be played at TDECU Stadium in Houston

Post by starsfan24 »

If the Renegades make it I’m there.
RENEGADES SZN (2-1)
Dallas Stars (37-20-6)
Chicago Cubs (0-0)
LA Lakers (44-12)
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Awesome! I'm going.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
mcbrybry
Receiver

Post by mcbrybry »

not a huge fan because if the Roughnecks make it they’ll have a clear advantage but whatever. this league is too good to let something like this bother me all that much.
New York Guardians
#OnDuty
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

With Houston having hosted training camp, I can't say I'm all that surprised.

Though I would've liked to see some potential expansion markets explored, like Kansas City or one of the Ohio cities that are getting strong TV ratings. The weather should be decent in late April.

But I guess it is what it is, as the old cliché goes. (shrugs)
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

I think it's the best plan for year one given that they really don't know how the home markets will perform over a larger sample size. I'd like to think they'll take it to the best team record eventually.....but since Houston is the XFL's "mission control"..…..it's a place where they can concentrate on getting the best attendance.
TrueViper
Receiver

Post by TrueViper »

This feels like a strong disadvantage for Tampa Bay.
EnLiteEndOne
Kicker

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

TrueViper wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:44 pm This feels like a strong disadvantage for Tampa Bay.
:lol: :lol:

I think the disadvantage is the roster and the HC, but what do I know.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Sounder wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:27 pm I think it's the best plan for year one given that they really don't know how the home markets will perform over a larger sample size. I'd like to think they'll take it to the best team record eventually.....but since Houston is the XFL's "mission control"..…..it's a place where they can concentrate on getting the best attendance.
And a nod to "The Rob" (Jeppesen Stadium), which hosted the first AFL championship game (as well as the Abner Haynes 'we'll kick' game two years later)

Luck's a bigtime history buff, give him that

The risk here is getting lost in the shuffle with the Astros at home vs Oakland and the Rockets potentially hosting a playoff game that day. But hey, you wanna see where you stand, no better way.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

MGB01 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:15 pm
Sounder wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:27 pm I think it's the best plan for year one given that they really don't know how the home markets will perform over a larger sample size. I'd like to think they'll take it to the best team record eventually.....but since Houston is the XFL's "mission control"..…..it's a place where they can concentrate on getting the best attendance.
And a nod to "The Rob" (Jeppesen Stadium), which hosted the first AFL championship game (as well as the Abner Haynes 'we'll kick' game two years later)

Luck's a bigtime history buff, give him that

The risk here is getting lost in the shuffle with the Astros at home vs Oakland and the Rockets potentially hosting a playoff game that day. But hey, you wanna see where you stand, no better way.
Heh. It's probably more because Luck has deep and entrenched ties to Houston between the Oilers and the Dynamo. They were the first city to be linked to the XFL so to have them host a team, training camp AND championship... it looks like Luck is using his connections.