XFL Player Salaries

XFL Football discussion.
XFLGUY
Quarterback

XFL Player Salaries

Post by XFLGUY »

Has the XFL said whether or not the player salaries are something that has potential to evolve and grow as the league hopefully evolves and grows or is it basically written in stone that this is what it is and always will be?
Tank55
MVP

Re: XFL Player Salaries

Post by Tank55 »

Nothing is written in stone. If the XFL survives, the pay scale will definitely evolve. Hell, the players will unionize if the league survives.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

XFLGUY wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:35 am Has the XFL said whether or not the player salaries are something that has potential to evolve and grow as the league hopefully evolves and grows or is it basically written in stone that this is what it is and always will be?
I would assume that would change over time. With no player's union, it's really at the whim of the league right now whether or not to increase salaries year-to-year. Until they get a high-paying TV deal however, I don't really see them increasing substantially.
@gregmparks
XFLGUY
Quarterback

Post by XFLGUY »

I guess I was just curious if in fact the league could on a case by case basis decide to pay more for certain higher priced qb’s , or other position players, if it felt inclined to do so or if the tier structure is set and whatever it is, it is. I’m fine with them not bending to Kaepernicks ridiculous salary demands, but was just curious about the above process.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

XFLGUY wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:35 am Has the XFL said whether or not the player salaries are something that has potential to evolve and grow as the league hopefully evolves and grows or is it basically written in stone that this is what it is and always will be?
It can change at any time. Right now, there's no union and no CBA, so if the XFL wants to raise salaries, it can, and if it wants to cut them, it can do that too. The only thing they can't do is change the salary midseason. There are contracts that the XFL has to honor.

I don't anticipate much change over the next few years. They can't cut it too much because it's likely as low as they can get without compromising the kind of talent they can draw, and they probably can't raise it too much because they haven't established a profitable enterprise yet.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

XFLGUY wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:36 pm I guess I was just curious if in fact the league could on a case by case basis decide to pay more for certain higher priced qb’s , or other position players, if it felt inclined to do so or if the tier structure is set and whatever it is, it is.
Absolutely. The league can literally do whatever they want as long as it doesn't violate a current contract.

Now, they might piss of agents or players or fans by doing things haphazardly. But there's no rule against it. They write their own rules.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Each season will likely bring new players - mostly, so why do it?
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
Xtremedb3
Running Back

Post by Xtremedb3 »

I think they should really look into doing the tier system they initially planned to retain some of the stars of the league. They seem to be creating a handful already after 1 week.

Each team gets a set amount of tier 2 and tier 3 players which may only be 3-7 players but enough to retain a solid team.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

I'd look at the joke that is the transfer portal (which is no doubt something Luck would be concerned with were he still at the NCAA), combined with the fact that, there's good talent now but going forward you want those next guys, like you pulled off with Kenny Robinson.

Structurally, it's the same as Herschel Walker signing with the USFL--it was seven years before the NFL drafted underclassmen. Most of it is geared towards playing pro ball anyway, but most of these kids have no business in the NFL, and school-hopping doesn't get them any closer. Right now you just keep it low-key and avoid a Lavar Ball-JBA disaster.

Who knows, we might eventually see that next Trevor Lawrence/Bryce Young take the plunge and play in the XFL for a couple years. I'm sure the NCAA would appreciate less pleas of poverty for "these poor kids making no money" even if some schools cry foul over it.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

I hope that the league grows. That will in turn mean that the salaries grow.