XFL Football discussion.
MGB01
MVP

Re: First XFL game drew 3.3 million viewers on ABC

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:46 pm
XFL_FAN wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:06 pm
4th&long wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:21 am

That is only with fast national metered markets (note the asterisk) - final ratings/viewers coming or s/b
While that may be true there's no way itś going to be those highly inflated 3.8-4.6 million you were talking about. Either way, the league did pretty well.
actual Fox games viewers. links above posts

Fox sat: 3.3mm
Fox Sun: 3.4mm

abc sat: 3.3mm
Espn sun: 2.5mm

total 12.5mm. major start for XFL

while lower than that top range a strong multiple of ratings ( which is always confusing)

lets see how week 2 goes
Even better that hasn't been noticed, no large drop off from Sat to Sun.

The XFL debut in 2001 did a 9.5, the next day on UPN (admittedly not a football household on the weekend) did less than a third of that.

The AAF debut went from nearly three million viewers to 640,000 on NFLN the next night.

Retaining nearly 75% of their audience (and peaking at over 85) from OTA network to cable is, as you said, huge.

The AAF did good numbers on TNT, if they had that the whole year it might have justified hanging on at least the four more weeks to the end. Remember, TNT wasn't officially part of the league until eight days before the season, and even they had one scheduled game and the other two were flexed.

In college terms, this is the difference between Power 5 (FOX/ESPN) and CUSA/MAC (CBSSN/NFLN)
ozzies09tc
Receiver

Re: First XFL game drew 3.3 million viewers on ABC

Post by ozzies09tc »

Hey all,

1st post - wanted to say hi - now on to business

Alot of good positive feedback about the games here in St Louis. This is going to be a big thing here. People are already talking tailgating parties etc.

I was never a rams fan so when they left I didnt have sour grapes like most people here. I'm a denver broncos fan, so the battlehawks having Marquette King is kinda nice :)