One week from right now

XFL Football discussion.
StoneSentry
Running Back

Re: One week from right now

Post by StoneSentry »

One week from right now all the inaugural games will be finished. All eight teams will have made their first impression. Expectations will have formed in our minds. And the site will be awash in power rankings, hot takes, and recaps.

Don't forget to savor this final week. It's a time when anything seems possible and every team, at 0-0, wonders "why not us?" And however it all turns out, one day we'll be able to look back and say that we were there.
NYJ6420
Kicker

Re: One week from right now

Post by NYJ6420 »

I agree with MikeMitchell. Seen this way too many times to expect it to stick but while it's here, it helps fill the "sports void" between the end of the NFL playoffs and Opening Day.

The attendance and TV ratings should be pretty good for the first week but will it be enough to carry them through to the last few weeks when they compete with MLB and the newness has worn off? Time will tell. I am hoping that by cutting game times that people will be more engaged.

The weather here in NY is a huge stroke of luck. If they are successful in this market, it could make the league vis-à-vis the media.

The reality of this league, however, is that it is that NFL practice squad fodder will be the best players in the league, kind of like AA-AAA baseball. Minor leagues are fun but they just do not produce huge revenues. The XFL should have gone after big names with publicity attached (like Manziel), it would have helped.

This is a good board, I look forward to following it as much as the league itself.