Great article on the TV innovations for XFL games

XFL Football discussion.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Re: Great article on the TV innovations for XFL games

Post by LeoNY »

Firecop wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:31 am Mike brings up (as usual) another interesting point that I hadn't thought of. Whether you are into gambling, fantasy football, stats or whatever; the networks i.e. ABC are now free to do many things that the NFL would never allow. Think about that for a moment - the network(s) have been unfettered and some innovations may actually come down the line from the network(s) themselves. The possibilities could be very very interesting. Obviously some things wont work, and will likely be dropped as others are added - kinda amps you up doesn't it?
That’s an excellent follow up to Mike’s point. I am amped for the way these networks get to present the game of football.
jjnova
Running Back

Post by jjnova »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:32 pm
jjnova wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:25 pm It will be busy in the editing room. Integrating live audio is a pain, even with a short time delay, due to the offensive nature in which people tend to talk when pushing themselves to perform their best.

High tension moments could lead to some fines. I'm sure the audio feeds will be minimal due to this.
It’s a good point.

This article doesn’t even delve into the video innovations of the league. We are going to get quite a few of those.

I am not a gambler myself but I like the approach of putting the point spreads and over/unders into the actual broadcast on screen. The announcers will probably talk about it too during games.

It’s like ABC wants to do all the stuff that they never get to do during NFL and college games and the XFL is down for all of it.
Major F-Bomb in the Dragons/Defenders game. Looks like they may need to add a few more seconds of delay. It's funny because they did indeed drop the audio, just about 2 seconds too late.
Raising heck...
Oracal
Linebacker

Post by Oracal »

My ABC affiliate here in Richmond, Va. is broadcasting the game in Spanish. I can't find another way to switch to English. I had been looking forward for weeks to XFL Football, I can't enjoy Spanish language football.

A very poor start right out of the box! :evil:
jjnova
Running Back

Post by jjnova »

Oracal wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:05 pm My ABC affiliate here in Richmond, Va. is broadcasting the game in Spanish. I can't find another way to switch to English. I had been looking forward for weeks to XFL Football, I can't enjoy Spanish language football.

It may not apply to you, but a lot of TVs/Cableboxes/Streams support dual audio. You might want to check your options/settings while on the channel to make sure you aren't on the wrong audio feed.
Raising heck...
Oracal
Linebacker

Post by Oracal »

jjnova wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:21 pm
Oracal wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:05 pm My ABC affiliate here in Richmond, Va. is broadcasting the game in Spanish. I can't find another way to switch to English. I had been looking forward for weeks to XFL Football, I can't enjoy Spanish language football.

It may not apply to you, but a lot of TVs/Cableboxes/Streams support dual audio. You might want to check your options/settings while on the channel to make sure you aren't on the wrong audio feed.
Thanks for your reply, but I've repeatedly checked the language options on all devices. The broadcast is in Spanish while the commercials / on field coaches/players audio is in English.

I'm very disappointed in ABC, the XFL, and whoever else is responsible. :x
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Oracal wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:28 pm
jjnova wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:21 pm

Thanks for your reply, but I've repeatedly checked the language options on all devices. The broadcast is in Spanish while the commercials / on field coaches/players audio is in English.

I'm very disappointed in ABC, the XFL, and whoever else is responsible. :x
Probably either your local affiliate or your cable provider, one of the two.

I know that my local cable provider did the same thing with NBC Sunday Night Football in the past. They'd funnel the SAP into the main feed.
Oracal
Linebacker

Post by Oracal »

Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal !
Oracal
Linebacker

Post by Oracal »

Fox has the second game between LA and Houston. Not sure that a repeat of the Spanish audio mandate will play well a second time.

Good thing I'm not in charge, some people would be looking for new jobs tomorrow.
jjnova
Running Back

Post by jjnova »

Oracal wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:47 pm Fox has the second game between LA and Houston. Not sure that a repeat of the Spanish audio mandate will play well a second time.

Good thing I'm not in charge, some people would be looking for new jobs tomorrow.
Yeah, sounds like your local affiliate has screwed up. Surprised no one figured it out during the broadcast. Especially since the game has been on for 3 hours now.
Raising heck...