Prediction: XFL will be rebranded

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Prediction: XFL will be rebranded

Post by MikeMitchell »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:33 am
MikeMitchell wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:22 am I wrote about this back in 2018 on this site.

Vince McMahon filed two trademarks back in 2017. The United Football League and the UrFL, as in ‘your football league’. The XFL was almost not the XFL.
I did not know that... that's an interesting wrinkle. I wonder if Ebersol's pitch to buy the XFL brand forced Vince's hand.

We might be dealing with a UFL revival instead of the XFL!
Most people gloss over stuff or just ignore it.

I wrote about this in several articles in the last two years. Before Alpha Entertainment was even named. Vince McMahon under VKM Ventures filed for The United Football League and URFL trademarks. It was done in September of 2017.

Quote from SI article back in January of 2018.
Alpha Entertainment filed several trademarks tied to the new league back in September, including UFL and UrFL, though McMahon said Thursday that he felt it was best to retain the XFL branding.
McMahon never wanted to fold the original XFL. His hand was forced and his own company was leveraged against him. NBC owed him 50 million dollars legally for year two. He didn’t fight them on it. He could have.

McMahon debated not reviving the XfL name but based on brand equity and pride probably. The XFL name is back.

Link to an article about the UFL filing. There are several out there.

https://dailysnark.com/breaking-vince-m ... ll-league/
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:52 am
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:33 am
MikeMitchell wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:22 am I wrote about this back in 2018 on this site.

Vince McMahon filed two trademarks back in 2017. The United Football League and the UrFL, as in ‘your football league’. The XFL was almost not the XFL.
I did not know that... that's an interesting wrinkle. I wonder if Ebersol's pitch to buy the XFL brand forced Vince's hand.

I wrote about this in several articles in the last two years. Before Alpha Entertainment was even named. Vince McMahon under VKM Ventures filed for The United Football League and URFL trademarks. It was done in September of 2017.

Alpha Entertainment filed several trademarks tied to the new league back in September, including UFL and UrFL, though McMahon said Thursday that he felt it was best to retain the XFL branding.
McMahon never wanted to fold the original XFL. His hand was forced and his own company was leveraged against him. NBC owed him 50 million dollars legally for year two. He didn’t fight them on it. He could have.

McMahon debated not reviving the XfL name but based on brand equity and pride probably. The XFL name is back.

I had found the Deadspin article... and also went to the USPTO site and verified it for myself after you said that.

I didn't join this site until early 2019, and I'd been kind of following along with some of the stories before that but not that much in depth, so yeah, sometimes some details like that slip through the cracks.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:06 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:33 am I did not know that... that's an interesting wrinkle. I wonder if Ebersol's pitch to buy the XFL brand forced Vince's hand.

I had found the Deadspin article... and also went to the USPTO site and verified it for myself after you said that.

I didn't join this site until early 2019, and I'd been kind of following along with some of the stories before that but not that much in depth, so yeah, sometimes some details like that slip through the cracks.
In this day and age, I try my best to shorten articles because people don’t like reading several paragraphs on various topics. It’s hard when you have so much info. Sometimes details get lost in the shuffle.

I assume that everyone knows these things but I guess not.

The debate against bringing back the XFL name is a strong one. You could argue for both sides of the argument and make a strong case. It’s obvious by Vince McMahon’s actions, that he went through the same dilemma.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:40 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:06 pm

In this day and age, I try my best to shorten articles because people don’t like reading several paragraphs on various topics. It’s hard when you have so much info. Sometimes details get lost in the shuffle.

I assume that everyone knows these things but I guess not.

The debate against bringing back the XFL name is a strong one. You could argue for both sides of the argument and make a strong case. It’s obvious by Vince McMahon’s actions, that he went through the same dilemma.
He made the right call, reviving the UFL name (which has been used at least three times) would have had all sorts of fail written all over it because the wound's still fresh, plus you get all sorts of Lex Luger jokes ("CAN'T EVEN AFFORD TO PAY ME?!?!?!?!). The XFL OTOH you could make the argument was getting stronger and once you got rid of all the BS could have at least been where the Arena League was in the mid 2000s.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

Perhaps if the "United Football League" name hadn't been used recently.....it would've been a good way to go.....not so much now.....other than that.....there's only so many things you could attach "FL" to. Besides, I like it. The "X" is just that.....it doesn't need to stand for anything......and it sounds more like a 21st century league.