XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: Four things we need to happen when the XFL returns

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

For the record, the only reason it didn't stand for Xtreme the last time around was because arena football snatched up the trademark before WWF could. Arena football, of course, is gone now.

So if the X "could mean anything," why not Xtreme? ;)
Last edited by johnnyangryfuzzball on Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metallifreak10
Running Back

Post by Metallifreak10 »

1. Oh god no lol.

2. I would like to see The Wildcats pay tribute to the 2001 champions, just not the home opener. Maybe their 2nd home game.

3. I agree

4. I agree lol.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

I realize this is tongue in cheek, but I think the league needs to avoid the OG league for the first season. In 2021 the WIldcats can do some sort of 20th Anniversary celebration for the Xtreme.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Maybe a short Gettysburg-style "Four score and two years ago I reintroduced the world to the XFL.........." taped intro with the four magic words at the end, but Luck can do something along those lines. Besides, even if Vince isn't "Mr. McMahon" anymore (he hasn't even been on WWE TV since May), it's best to continue to forge upward here.

More Brandon Silvers, Cardale Jones, Jim Zorn, Pep Hamilton. Less of "The Chairman"
StoneSentry
Running Back

Post by StoneSentry »

It might be appropriate for Vince McMahon to say a few words, but that's all people should see from him; otherwise he (and by extension, his main product) will be a distraction. Oliver Luck should do most of the talking, promotion, and media appearances. The old XFL is remembered by most people as a joke, so hopefully they distance themselves from it as much as possible. They're already risking enough by reusing the name.

I would also not use the word "extreme," "Xtreme," or any variation of it in the branding. That schtick got old in the 90s. Just say it stands for the x-factor, the energy, the magic that football used to have before it got bogged down in bad calls and endless reviews, and that their company is here to bring it back.
Regular Joe
Quarterback

Post by Regular Joe »

StoneSentry wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:07 pm It might be appropriate for Vince McMahon to say a few words, but that's all people should see from him; otherwise he (and by extension, his main product) will be a distraction. Oliver Luck should do most of the talking, promotion, and media appearances. The old XFL is remembered by most people as a joke, so hopefully they distance themselves from it as much as possible. They're already risking enough by reusing the name.

I would also not use the word "extreme," "Xtreme," or any variation of it in the branding. That schtick got old in the 90s. Just say it stands for the x-factor, the energy, the magic that football used to have before it got bogged down in bad calls and endless reviews, and that their company is here to bring it back.

Vince has been doing great at letting his people,Luck, et all, do all the XFL work. Good call on his part.

People who remember the old XFL remember it wasn't the peoples favorite.

I laughed when I saw the ESPN Special. They were waxing nostalgic about the old XFL, how people loved it. I was like, huh?!! Everyone HATED the XFL. That's why there was no season 2!!

The only XFL fans were on this board!!

They talked about He Hate Me like he had the #1 selling Jersey that year!! They Hated the XFL.

I love some of the article online. You can tell the writers are clueless. Writing about the league coming back and referring to it in all sorts of glowing terms. But I'm glad they did, because some people do think it was great in hindsight/nostalgia and kinda fuled some of the other positivity I hear all over the place now.

This is the X-EFF-ELLL!!
free dj mix download. all punk & hardcore. party tape. more cuss words then any hip hop mixtape. https://soundcloud.com/some-guy-2492895 Click on 'More' and download. dont forget both sides.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

I am happy that the current XFL is nothing like the original XFL.

The only thing XFL 2020 shares in spirit with the original besides the name is innovation. We are going to see plenty of that again with audio/video and the overall presentation. It’s in the rules already.

There will be some sort of tip of the hat to the former league during the season. I am not sure what. The XFL championship trophy from 2001 is at Wildcats headquarters. It’s in the main office lobby. Any tribute will be understated.

Nostalgia always makes one think fondly on the positives. The truth is that the original XFL was a bad sports league. Just a poorly conceived football product.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:22 pm I realize this is tongue in cheek, but I think the league needs to avoid the OG league for the first season. In 2021 the WIldcats can do some sort of 20th Anniversary celebration for the Xtreme.
I agree completely. Re-establish yourself in Year 1, connect to the past where appropriate for the 20th anniversary.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Tank55 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:36 am
XtremeFanForever wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:22 pm I realize this is tongue in cheek, but I think the league needs to avoid the OG league for the first season. In 2021 the WIldcats can do some sort of 20th Anniversary celebration for the Xtreme.
I agree completely. Re-establish yourself in Year 1, connect to the past where appropriate for the 20th anniversary.
I pray that the XFL is around in 2021. The XFL will probably have Tommy Maddox as a guest at one of the LA games. Interviewed on the sidelines kind of deal. I would have no problem with it.