Some thoughts from commissioner Oliver Luck

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Some thoughts from commissioner Oliver Luck

Post by 4th&long »

From Seattle Times:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/wit ... iver-luck/

>> Oliver Luck: Seattle is doing remarkably well. When we looked at Seattle, we saw this marvelous sports town, and people love anything that is Seattle-related and they come out. They’re supportive — that’s why the NHL is obviously moving in here, the Sounders and the Seahawks knocking it out of the park — that’s what we saw and the manifestation of that through season ticket sales that the Seattle Dragons are having is awesome. There are some other markets too. We’re doing well in both the Texas cities (Houston and Dallas), and St. Louis is really doing well and nipping at Seattle’s heels. << :mrgreen:
MGB01
MVP

Re: Some thoughts from commissioner Oliver Luck

Post by MGB01 »

Well with the exception of the Mariners (hereforth referred to as Fredo), that's cause for a riot.

Remember I told you a while back Fredo a few years ago, instead of moving his game to Sunday night, actually played head to head with the Sounders next door? The Sounders for that match nearly outdrew Fredo's entire three game set that weekend.
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

I just saw this article on twitter and posted it in the Seattle ticket sales thread. Expecting an average of 10,000 for the league? If there are a few teams over or close to 20k, there must be some that will really be struggling (LA) :o
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Andibald wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:52 am I just saw this article on twitter and posted it in the Seattle ticket sales thread. Expecting an average of 10,000 for the league? If there are a few teams over or close to 20k, there must be some that will really be struggling (LA) :o
XFL commissioner Oliver Luck was in Seattle on Friday, helping promote the league. He said the league would like to average at least 10,000 per game in attendance, but the hopes are much higher than that in Seattle, which is expecting more than 20,000 for its home opener Feb. 15 against the Tampa Bay Vipers.
I'm not sure how to read that either. Did he mean 1) some cities will average 10k, while others like the 4 he mentioned - Seattle, St Louis, Dallas and Houston will do more? 2) Or that the entire league will average 10k and that means to balance that some teams are really low. I think he meant #1.

But let's face it, and I've said this in the 'Seattle ticket sales' thread too - Oiver luck did a great job on the FB side (it appears), great job on the TV contracts with ABC/ESPN & Fox/FS1 but where they lacked was XFL promotion.

IMO they should have started short teaser ads in early fall and picked up in Dec/Jan - they had 2 years to promote and its not where it should be, however, AAF likely had less and had solid TV ratings - so I'm hopeful.

Also - lets face it he wanted Orlando over Tampa even though TB is a bigger market, Orlando is still top 20 and was mentioned early on so you know that was the intended market. TB may not get the attendance with Bucs, Rays and Lightning already there. We know Orlando did well attendance wise in the AAF.

Also having games in NY and DC in Feb is not going to be an easy sell. If game day weather is good, you may see a good game day walk up crowd.

Let me add
: With AAF gone, SD and Orlando could be move locations for both LA and TB. The TB to Orlando move is a no brainer, not losing much there in TV audience and could gain big in attendance. LA to SD is a harder sell even if attendance dropped as LA TV market is huge and SD is smaller than you'd think ie Neilsen. They could brand them as Southern Calf. even. But that's way ahead thinking for now.
Last edited by 4th&long on Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

4th&long wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:09 am
Andibald wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:52 am I just saw this article on twitter and posted it in the Seattle ticket sales thread. Expecting an average of 10,000 for the league? If there are a few teams over or close to 20k, there must be some that will really be struggling (LA) :o
XFL commissioner Oliver Luck was in Seattle on Friday, helping promote the league. He said the league would like to average at least 10,000 per game in attendance, but the hopes are much higher than that in Seattle, which is expecting more than 20,000 for its home opener Feb. 15 against the Tampa Bay Vipers.
I'm not sure how to read that either. Did he mean 1) some cities will average 10k, while others like the 4 he mentioned - Seattle, St Louis, Dallas and Houston will do more? 2) Or that the entire league will average 10k and that means to balance that some teams are really low. I think he meant #1.

But let's face it, and I've said this in the 'Seattle ticket sales' thread too - Oiver luck did a great job on the FB side (it appears), great job on the TV contracts with ABC/ESPN & Fox/FS1 but where they lacked was XFL promotion.

IMO they should have started short teaser ads in early fall and picked up in Dec/Jan - they had 2 years to promote and its not where it should be, however, AAF likely had less and had solid TV ratings - so I'm hopeful.
LOL...I just posted something similar to your #1 in the other thread. I agree that it is a team avg expectation (low avg) with others nearing 20k. :)

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

I am not surprised of the league office calculating or expecting a 10k average particularly in some markets. There’s ambiguity with the 10k figure. Is it certain markets? Is it a projection of season ticket sales per team? Seattle and St. Louis seem on pace to double that figure.

The AAF debacle did damage to the market place.

The other thing that Greg Parks brought up on XFL Xtra a while back and it’s a fair criticism. The XFL’s decision to not have training camps in their local markets. The Houston deal was designed for quality of play and practicality but not being at home all this time hurts a bit.

Los Angeles spent no time in LA during minicamp and then none in the market during January. Block party today notwithstanding.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Andibald wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:14 am
4th&long wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:09 am

LOL...I just posted something similar to your #1 in the other thread. I agree that it is a team avg expectation (low avg) with others nearing 20k. :)
Yep, I think its team, and see what I added on LA and TB as those are two of the most likely movers. And having Feb games in NY/DC esp is a crap shoot for weather so if its a nice day - game day may see higher attendance with walk ups.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

LeoNY wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:21 am
I am not surprised of the league office calculating or expecting a 10k average particularly in some markets. There’s ambiguity with the 10k figure. Is it certain markets? Is it a projection of season ticket sales per team? Seattle and St. Louis seem on pace to double that figure.

The AAF debacle did damage to the market place.

The other thing that Greg Parks brought up on XFL Xtra a while back and it’s a fair criticism. The XFL’s decision to not have training camps in their local markets. The Houston deal was designed for quality of play and practicality but not being at home all this time hurts a bit.

Los Angeles spent no time in LA during minicamp and then none in the market during January. Block party today notwithstanding.
All the more reason to promote more. Unless its a strategy to Walk Tall and carry a big stick (bag of cash) and let the word circulate that McMahon has 3 yrs cash in bank.

Also Oliver may be focusing more on selling sponsorships and some type of Ads leveraging the TV exposure. I know ABC/Fox get the TV ad revenue but, in field ads, jersey ads, off field ads like soccer are likely XFL money.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

4th&long wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:09 am Also - lets face it he wanted Orlando over Tampa even though TB is a bigger market, Orlando is still top 20 and was mentioned early on so you know that was the intended market. TB may not get the attendance with Bucs, Rays and Lightning already there. We know Orlando did well attendance wise in the AAF.

Also having games in NY and DC in Feb is not going to be an easy sell. If game day weather is good, you may see a good game day walk up crowd.

Let me add
: With AAF gone, SD and Orlando could be move locations for both LA and TB. The TB to Orlando move is a no brainer, not losing much there in TV audience and could gain big in attendance. LA to SD is a harder sell even if attendance dropped as LA TV market is huge and SD is smaller than you'd think ie Neilsen. They could brand them as Southern Calf. even. But that's way ahead thinking for now.
The thing about SD is that the city charged the Fleet in the AAF quite a bit of money—adding up to over $900K for the season when factoring in game day expenses—to play in that old stadium. That's not way out of wack (St. Louis is charging $800K to the BattleHawks) but not ideal, especially when you consider that Tampa loaned out their stadium to the Vipers for free for three years.

That's why I'm hesitant to say TB to ORL is such a no-brainer. Besides the free rent, TB has good history with alt-pro ball of its own (Bandit Ball, the Storm) and of the markets that only have one winter sports team, the XFL has been far more inclined to share with NHL teams (which Tampa Bay has in the Lightning) than NBA (Orlando Magic). If anything, I sense that if the XFL does come to Orlando, it will be via expansion to create regional rivalry.

I suspect Tampa Bay will end up at least near average for attendance. LA will probably be dead last, but they're there for the TV contract and everyone knows it.
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

4th&long wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:25 am

I agree... they could have planted the seed a bit earlier. There are still football fans that don't know much, if anything, about the XFL. I thought they should have jumped on the excitement that some on social media had early in the process...before cities were named. Quite a few people wanted to try to spread the word with "XFL Your City" t-shirts or bumper stickers. At the time, I would have probably bought a couple of them. Of course, most of these cities would not get a team but they are still counted on the watch the games on TV and until cities were named...there was still a chance ;) and the excitement could build.

That said, I think they will be alright.