XFL Show raves about comeback period during XFL scrimmages

XFL Football discussion.
LeoNY
Head Coach

XFL Show raves about comeback period during XFL scrimmages

Post by LeoNY »

There is so much going on right now in the XFL. It’s hard to keep track of everything.

XFL show released their show on Tuesday morning. They will be doing two shows a week. It’s worth a listen.

The hosts were very impressed with the comeback period of the last two minutes of each half. It was their favorite part of the scrimmage. They talked about how each team ended up having two possessions each in the final two minutes.

There are discussions at the end of the show about officiating, overtime and a few other elements. Also a good interview with the AAF’s top rated lineman Jordan McCray. The show also teased some innovations they saw and took part in, that they were not allowed to reveal.

https://twitter.com/XFLShow/status/1219 ... 04288?s=20
BengalErnst
Quarterback

Re: XFL Show raves about comeback period during XFL scrimmages

Post by BengalErnst »

Apparently, I'm a bit behind. I have no idea what this comeback period at the end of the halves is all about.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

I heard their show this morning. Good stuff. They are league enthusiasts for sure. So it’s easy for some to dismiss them but I think their enthusiasm is genuine and warranted.

There’s a lot of rumors flying around about what the XFL has planned from a broadcast innovation standpoint but nothing is concrete. Sounds like XFL show got a taste of it in Houston.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

BengalErnst wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:24 pm Apparently, I'm a bit behind. I have no idea what this comeback period at the end of the halves is all about.
It’s similar to college football. Inside of two minutes, the clock temporarily stops after every play until the ball and offense are set.

Here is the XFL’s rationale behind the comeback period.

“The most exciting part of the game is the end of each half, and the XFL aims to maximize this excitement.

By stopping the game clock after every play, the team that is trailing has a clear way to maximize its remaining time and still have the ability to use its complete playbook, including runs or plays in the middle of the field.

Also, a team cannot “run out the clock” at the end of the game until the opponent has no timeouts and there is 1 minute left (5 second run off on the play clock, so 20 seconds can be run off on a play), vs. the NFL, where a game can essentially be ended with 2 minutes left through three kneeldowns that each take 40 seconds off the play clock.”