Chad Johnson scheduled for tryout as a kicker

XFL Football discussion.
Tank55
MVP

Chad Johnson scheduled for tryout as a kicker

Post by Tank55 »

Retired NFL receiver Chad Johnson has a tryout scheduled for Monday with the XFL as a kicker, he announced via Twitter.

A source confirmed that, as of now, the tryout is real.

Johnson, 42, last played in an NFL game in February 2012, catching one pass for the New England Patriots during a Super Bowl XLVI loss. He was named to six Pro Bowls as a receiver, but often expressed sincere interest in kicking. In fact, he converted an extra point and kicked off for the Cincinnati Bengals during the 2009 preseason.
https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/28 ... xfl-kicker
The opportunity to kick in the XFL has presented itself, i must tryout Monday in Houston, I’m excited as hell & I’m sure all will go well 🙏🏿
https://twitter.com/ochocinco/status/12 ... 5497998337
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Dorky_dude
Kicker

Re: Chad Johnson scheduled for tryout as a kicker

Post by Dorky_dude »

:lol:
Instagram: jersey_dude52
BengalErnst
Quarterback

Post by BengalErnst »

For the legitimacy of this league, chad Johnson can’t win a kicking gig with a team lol. I’m a huge Bengals fan, and OchoCinco fan but cmon now haha
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Can't be any worse than Lauren Silberman.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Not holding my breath, but best case scenario is he's willing to stick around on Team 9 and gets a shot at the end of the season. Either way, it's a fun story.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Tank55 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:45 pm Not holding my breath, but best case scenario is he's willing to stick around on Team 9 and gets a shot at the end of the season. Either way, it's a fun story.
I am just ok on the Team 9 idea. That's provided that Chad Johnson has a great tryout.

I am pretty uptight when it comes to this kind of stuff. I don't like PFT Commenter or Chad Johnson getting a tryout. I understand that these guys initiated this and that the league is just trying to be good sports about it. This is more of a, let them get a chance since they are begging kind of situation and not a real tryout, but it doesn't feel right to me. No harm, No foul, I guess.
GoDogs
Running Back

Post by GoDogs »

MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:22 am
Tank55 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:45 pm Not holding my breath, but best case scenario is he's willing to stick around on Team 9 and gets a shot at the end of the season. Either way, it's a fun story.
I am just ok on the Team 9 idea. That's provided that Chad Johnson has a great tryout.

I am pretty uptight when it comes to this kind of stuff. I don't like PFT Commenter or Chad Johnson getting a tryout. I understand that these guys initiated this and that the league is just trying to be good sports about it. This is more of a, let them get a chance since they are begging kind of situation and not a real tryout, but it doesn't feel right to me. No harm, No foul, I guess.
I kinda don’t like this as well. If he’s that confident of his ability to kick, over other career kickers in the league, he should take his talents to the NFL. Seems kind of a no win situation, you give him a chance in game time, chokes under pressure, it becomes the definition of the league. You kick him out, he’ll badmouth it. Big personalities could be a liability in year one of the league. (Kinda why Manziel and Oakman aren’t around).

As someone mentioned before, put him on team 9. Have play both kicker and receiver. If someone goes down late in the season, bring him up. Wonder if his ego would allow him to wait.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

I suppose that any attention is good attention. I wouldn’t take this stuff serious. I would much rather see players like TO and Ochocinco play in the league rather than be kickers. At their age, they wouldn’t be able to be significant contributors anyway. They can’t compete on the pro level anymore.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

He'll be right at home in Audi.