XFL Rules revealed

XFL Football discussion.
Tank55
MVP

Re: XFL Rules revealed

Post by Tank55 »

Pleasantly surprised by the reaction I've seen in the mainstream sports world. The NFL board I frequent, which has generally been extremely dismissive, was probably more positive than we were here.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

I just watched the Chalk Talk video re the announced rule changes. I think they confused a few people, based on some comments, and I don't think they all understood the KO rule.

However, their talk re the KO did bring up another question for me. If they use a traditional onsides kick (only when announced), what happens if the ball is not recovered by the kicking team? The reason I ask, it may be beneficial for the kicking team to kick from the onsides formation and squib, pooch or even kick the ball deep downfield.

My suggestion to avoid this would be to give the ball to the receiving team at either the major touchback spot or even at midfield if not recovered by the kicking team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd-ZgGGIp3U
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Andibald wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:39 pm I just watched the Chalk Talk video re the announced rule changes. I think they confused a few people, based on some comments, and I don't think they all understood the KO rule.

However, their talk re the KO did bring up another question for me. If they use a traditional onsides kick (only when announced), what happens if the ball is not recovered by the kicking team? The reason I ask, it may be beneficial for the kicking team to kick from the onsides formation and squib, pooch or even kick the ball deep downfield.

My suggestion to avoid this would be to give the ball to the receiving team at either the major touchback spot or even at midfield if not recovered by the kicking team.

Such a thing could even become sort of routine, unless (like the AAF and its onside-conversion play) there are limits on when it can be used. The kicking teams could decide the standard kickoff is better for coverage and opt to call an onside on every kickoff, then never actually kick it onside.
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

Andibald wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:39 pm I just watched the Chalk Talk video re the announced rule changes. I think they confused a few people, based on some comments, and I don't think they all understood the KO rule.

Re the running clock prior to the 2-min warning: They didn't emphasize that the timing is identical to the NFL except for incomplete passes and out of bounds. The clock doesn't run like it does in rugby. I'm not sure if anyone thought it did but the term "running clock" is a bit misleading and some may misunderstand.

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:49 pm

Such a thing could even become sort of routine, unless (like the AAF and its onside-conversion play) there are limits on when it can be used. The kicking teams could decide the standard kickoff is better for coverage and opt to call an onside on every kickoff, then never actually kick it onside.
Right. That's where I was going with that but you stated it better :) I think they will have some sort of rule when everything is "finalized".

Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:49 pm

Based on his comments, I think one of the guys thought both teams lined up on the KICKING teams 30 and 35yd lines. He was talking about different strategies to give the coverage team time to get downfield. That is actually something that I would prefer as it would be very similar to the current XFL punt and would bring in different strategies as he was suggesting.

HVGuardian
Receiver

Post by HVGuardian »

I am kind of late to the party here but I can’t wait to see how the OT rules work out. The NFL OT is broken IMO. I prefer college football OT rules but I am endlessly intrigued by how the XFL rules will work. How easy will it be for teams to convert?
Andibald
Head Coach

Re: XFL Rules revealed in ESPN article

Post by Andibald »

MikeMitchell wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:25 am
XFL Rules

Kickoff
XFL Rule
● The kicker kicks from the 25-yard line and must kick the ball in the air and in play between the opponent’s 20-yard line and the end zone.
● The coverage team lines up on the return side 35-yard line and the return team lines up on the 30-yard line. Each team must have exactly 3 players outside the hash marks on both sides of the ball and cannot move until the ball is caught by the returner.
● Out of bounds kicks and kicks that fall short of the 20-yard line will result in an illegal procedure penalty, taking the ball all the way out to the kicking team’s 45 yard line.
One of my concerns with the KO formation, was the kicker getting the ball past the players (30yrd line). I thought it would be a very bad look to have the ball bounce through or land short. Now, after reading the details, I am more concerned.

Kicking from the 25yd line and having to get it past the 20yd line should be no problem but weather and maybe even some extra pressure, could make it a bit difficult at times.

That season opening KO better get past the 20 yd line. I would hate to see the returner run up and catch the ball at the 25yd line, in the middle of the field, and have the play blown dead for illegal procedure to start XFL 2.0.

MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

If we don't have kickers that can do 55-yard kickoffs we got problems. That said, how often do you see a non-designed short kick?

Take out Greg Joseph's last squib and every kickoff in Philadelphia and New England (the two points of reference for week 1 games in DC and the Meadowlands) went on average to the 1. That's around the 10-11 for XFL kickers, just eliminates the squib cause there's largely no need, and if you have Deonte Harris, take your chances--you already got a headstart
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

This board is awesome because everyone comes up with such insightful takes.

I am a fan of XFL Chalk Talk but I think they didn’t get all the particulars on the rules down correctly. Same thing with XFL Show and a few others. Very little gets by members of this board.

There are some interesting loopholes on special teams. You might have to outlaw squibs or penalize teams that don’t execute a traditional onside kick. I think the onside kick is the biggest flaw in the xfl rule book. It’s like the league figures that no one will opt for it because of the timing rules. Belichick would have a field day with this if the loopholes are not closed.

I do think that the XFL’s rules will require kickers and punters who are precise and accurate in ball placement. You can really screw with a punt returners decision making if you can get some hang time on punts in between that 20 and 15 yard line. Letting it bounce into the end zone might come back to haunt the returner.