XFL Rules revealed

XFL Football discussion.
Tank55
MVP

Re: XFL Rules revealed

Post by Tank55 »

General thumbs up from me as well. Much of it is flawed, but at least flawed in different ways than the NFL and college. Not all of it will work, but that's OK. They can (and should!) tweak things again for 2021.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

I want to see how these rules work in an actual game before giving judgment.
nick1091
Running Back

Post by nick1091 »

All in all, pretty happy with these.

Pros;

1. Like the lack of coach's challenges. One less thing for coaches to manage (of which I'm sure they're thankful), and no needless decisions about whether challenging is "worth it." The sky judge will really need to be on their toes.
2. One foot in bounds is a great simplification to an over complicated rule.
3. Reduction of time outs (number and length), which makes sense due to the comeback period.

Cons;

1. I'm just not a fan of the overtime period. I understand the desire to have a conclusive winner in a small time window, but I just don't think 5 attempts from the 5 is a decent approximation of the game of football that was just played for nearly 3 hours.
2. The onside kick rule (must pre-announce, defaults to standard NFL offside rules) just strikes me as a shoulder shrug compromise in light of a more creative idea. It might not have been viable since it was first introduced in the AAF, but I like the "4th & 12 from your 35," version of an onside kick and feel like that could've fit in pretty well with the XFL "no stall, more ball," philosophy.
Xtremedb3
Running Back

Post by Xtremedb3 »

Tank55 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:59 am General thumbs up from me as well. Much of it is flawed, but at least flawed in different ways than the NFL and college. Not all of it will work, but that's OK. They can (and should!) tweak things again for 2021.
Keep in mind these rules have been tested through out the year.

Colleges / The Spring League / Your call Football

I think the rules will work and help get rid of the games that are a game of punting back in forth.
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

MikeMitchell wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:47 am Andibald. The floor is yours. :D Wherever you are.
LOL :lol: You may have been correct, Mom...nothing had been decided yet :oops: :D

I'll give a more detailed opinion later, as this is as far as I got so far. Based on what I see in your posts above, most of the problems I had with the proposed changes in rules have been eliminated. My main issue is the KO alignment. My main problems with the OT seem to have been address (same side of field? and no def scoring). The "comeback period" is much better than initially described.

I'll look things over later but at least now I can put some Dragon gear in the shopping cart :)
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

Overall, I love most of the rules.

The one negative is they seem to punish punters a bit much, but some of the challenges can be overcome. The gunners not releasing until the ball is kicked can be solved by getting a lot of hangtime on a punt. And, as was their point, you can always go for it if you feel there isn't enough room to comfortably punt.

I love the OT. The timing rules won't be as big a factor as they seem. The running clock and play clock will cancel out, and they teams will have plenty of time to get a play in with the clock not resetting until the spot. Plus, they have the speakers.

One-foot in is great, review rules are great, everything makes sense.

And Mike, I'd bet the no coin toss rule was influenced by you on this board. ;)
St. Louis BattleHawks
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Tank55 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:59 am General thumbs up from me as well. Much of it is flawed, but at least flawed in different ways than the NFL and college. Not all of it will work, but that's OK. They can (and should!) tweak things again for 2021.
Agreed. But hopefully not midseason. Ahem, Mr. McMahon. 8-)
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Xtremedb3 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:21 pm Keep in mind these rules have been tested through out the year.
True, which was smart. I bet they still find room for improvement.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

A little side thought here:
● After a touchdown, the team has the option of running a play from the 2, 5, or 10-yard line, worth 1, 2, or 3 points respectively. The team must run an offensive play and no kicking plays are allowed.
● If the defense is able to cause a turnover and return the ball to the opponent’s end zone, the resulting score is equal to the number of points the offense was attempting to score on its PAT.
What I would like to see in such a situation—just to make it a little more sensical—is a defensive conversion return count for the full six points, and that team gets their own conversion attempt (and has to kickoff afterward). After all, they're advancing it 90+ yards instead of 10 or less. (Plus, the defense only scores 1 point for returning it 99 but 3 if it's only 90?)

Plus, if they were going by AAF/YCF no-kickoff rules, if the defensive team recovered and returned it past the 25, they could start the next series from the spot they are tackled or go out of bounds instead. Like an actual turnover. (Of course, they're not, and this one isn't as workable under the XFL kickoff system.)

But this is a minor quibble, and since they're not very common, I'm not anticipating it being a big deal.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I think the idea is that a "touchdown" is a fixed amount, regardless of which team converts it. It's a bit counterintuitive, but I think that's the most elegant setup.

I'll keep stumping for a "wager" system for 2021. Touchdown = 7, but you can risk one point to end with a total of 8 (but 6 if you fail), or risk two points to end with a total of 9 (but 5 if you fail).