Positive XFL News Everywhere

XFL Football discussion.
Regular Joe
Quarterback

Positive XFL News Everywhere

Post by Regular Joe »

I see articles all over the web about guys 'getting a chance' with the XFL. There's a different new one just about everyday. Not just here, local news in all the cities. I've seen the articles making fun of unis or XFL in general. But the really written stories, about your favorite player from college playing ball in the XFL are all over the place. Seattle News Times, NY Post, Washington City Paper. There was virtually none of this the first go around.

I'm excited to see the 2 weeks leading up to the season, response to the Superbowl commercials & after the first weekend when ESPN has 3 XFL highlights on it's Top 10.

This is alot different then the 1st time around. Let's go week 1.
free dj mix download. all punk & hardcore. party tape. more cuss words then any hip hop mixtape. https://soundcloud.com/some-guy-2492895 Click on 'More' and download. dont forget both sides.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Positive XFL News Everywhere

Post by MarkNelson »

I agree, it is quite different. Believe it or not, there is a smaller media cadre now than 19 years ago, as many papers have folded. Still, there seems to be more news, and as you pointed out, it is relatively good news.

Add social media to the mix, something that didn't exist the first time around, and people will hear more about the XFL this time around.
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Wait till ESPN starts to go all in on the league with highlights and coverage. Such a contrast from the way these types of leagues usually get ignored.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Helps that Vince came with a much better approach this time around.

In 2000 it was mostly based on fan disenchantment, that never works long-term. Plus coming off his own unsuccessful attempts at buying the CFL coupled with the longstanding Turner/NBC rumors, this was all the wrong reasons. Granted there were some legit concerns: In the mid 90s half the NFL was either on the move or rumored to, the CFL wasn't in good shape, but on the flip side Turner was pretty much rendered useless by the Time Warner merger (see WCW) so it's up for debate how much truth there was in those. This time he came at it totally legit, you wouldn't see guys leaving NCAA/NFL jobs (namely Luck and Pollack) if not. Sports rights continue to go upward--which he noted the day he came back, and the NFL is one of few reliable commodities on TV, so he's going with them instead of do the rebel thing.

That's cool for about 10 minutes, but then if you decide you wanna seriously play ball you change your approach: see the WWE/ESPN relationship, which in 20-25 years has gone from total Cold War to John Cena hosting the ESPYs.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:42 pm Helps that Vince came with a much better approach this time around.

In 2000 it was mostly based on fan disenchantment, that never works long-term. Plus coming off his own unsuccessful attempts at buying the CFL coupled with the longstanding Turner/NBC rumors, this was all the wrong reasons. Granted there were some legit concerns: In the mid 90s half the NFL was either on the move or rumored to, the CFL wasn't in good shape, but on the flip side Turner was pretty much rendered useless by the Time Warner merger (see WCW) so it's up for debate how much truth there was in those. This time he came at it totally legit, you wouldn't see guys leaving NCAA/NFL jobs (namely Luck and Pollack) if not. Sports rights continue to go upward--which he noted the day he came back, and the NFL is one of few reliable commodities on TV, so he's going with them instead of do the rebel thing.

That's cool for about 10 minutes, but then if you decide you wanna seriously play ball you change your approach: see the WWE/ESPN relationship, which in 20-25 years has gone from total Cold War to John Cena hosting the ESPYs.
Also - Last time was in partnership with NBC.... when you have partners you are married. if NBC was on board for a yr 2 - VM would have done it.

This time an older VM, who knows television, sees what you stated NFL / Sports rating and is going for it with FB people, big TV including the 2 big sports nets, and mega $$$ + upfront (to allay any post AAF fear of under funding imminent failure).
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

What was the pre-season coverage like back in 2001? I only remember the pearl clutching and overreaction all across media after week 1.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:13 pm
MGB01 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:42 pm Helps that Vince came with a much better approach this time around.

Also - Last time was in partnership with NBC.... when you have partners you are married. if NBC was on board for a yr 2 - VM would have done it.

This time an older VM, who knows television, sees what you stated NFL / Sports rating and is going for it with FB people, big TV including the 2 big sports nets, and mega $$$ + upfront (to allay any post AAF fear of under funding imminent failure).
I'm not entirely sure what a year two would have looked like, probably something along the lines of the AFL in 2006 with a minimal NBC presence due to the Olympics and NHL (although the XFL wouldn't have had to worry about the latter in 2002), I'm not sure he would have been up for that, although sticking it out and ending up with the rather sweet post-NBA spot (that went to the AFL) would have been pretty enticing I would think--though they'd eventually run into the same problem as above.
Regular Joe
Quarterback

Post by Regular Joe »

LeoNY wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:43 pm Wait till ESPN starts to go all in on the league with highlights and coverage. Such a contrast from the way these types of leagues usually get ignored.
Agreed. Huge! I'm starting to come of the belief that the XFL will consistently get better ratings then the NBA.

I call it now. $50 if anybody feels like gambling. XFL does consistently better then the NBA in the Neilsens. Call me crazy. I'm going with it. The countries passion for football is greater then the NBA.
free dj mix download. all punk & hardcore. party tape. more cuss words then any hip hop mixtape. https://soundcloud.com/some-guy-2492895 Click on 'More' and download. dont forget both sides.
Glennscott07
Linebacker

Post by Glennscott07 »

Thank God the XFL is back! It got attacked worse than Donald Trump the first time around. For some reason the media has called off the dogs this time. My feeling is they are not making the money they want fro the NFL.
Glennscott07
Linebacker

Post by Glennscott07 »

I agree. The XFL can beat the NBA.