Future XFL Expansion

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Future XFL Expansion

Post by GDAWG »

Metallifreak10 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:08 pm So, I’ll defend Chicago a little bit once again. The Chicago Rush were near the top in attendance in the Arena League from 2003-2008. 14,000-16,000 per game in that 6-year span in an arena that can hold a little over 17,000. It was a fairly popular team that got local coverage from all of the news affiliates.

Allstate Arena is easy and convenient to get to, where as Soldier Field sucks to get to. I’d like to know if anyone has the local ratings from the original XFL? I’d like to see how Chicago placed among the 8 cities.
Chicago doesn't do well outdoors as it has failed three times outdoors in terms of attendance. Chicago has no history of success when it comes to alternate outdoor leagues. It would be a disaster if the XFL goes back to Chicago only because of it's market size. It should only come back if it can prove they can support non-NFL outdoor football.
Metallifreak10
Running Back

Post by Metallifreak10 »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:49 pm
Metallifreak10 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:08 pm So, I’ll defend Chicago a little bit once again. The Chicago Rush were near the top in attendance in the Arena League from 2003-2008. 14,000-16,000 per game in that 6-year span in an arena that can hold a little over 17,000. It was a fairly popular team that got local coverage from all of the news affiliates.

Allstate Arena is easy and convenient to get to, where as Soldier Field sucks to get to. I’d like to know if anyone has the local ratings from the original XFL? I’d like to see how Chicago placed among the 8 cities.
Chicago doesn't do well outdoors as it has failed three times outdoors in terms of attendance. Chicago has no history of success when it comes to alternate outdoor leagues. It would be a disaster if the XFL goes back to Chicago only because of it's market size. It should only come back if it can prove they can support non-NFL outdoor football.
I don’t disagree with that. I’m just stating that where Soldier Field is located makes it an unattractive location.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Metallifreak10 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:55 pm
GDAWG wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:49 pm

I don’t disagree with that. I’m just stating that where Soldier Field is located makes it an unattractive location.
My idea is to have Chicago host the XFL Championship game at SeatGeek Stadium for one year, followed by an option for a second year if it does well. This way, you make sure Chicago can support an XFL team and have XFL 2.0 be the alternative league that finally has success in Chicago.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

If it's about location....how about Wrigley? It's historic....it's accessible.....hasn't hosted pro football since the 60s....and there really wouldn't be too much to compete against seeing the Cubs begin almost at what would be the end of the XFL season. If you place them outside of Chicago proper, people might not be willing to travel to your games in some surburbia place. Even the Fire are moving back to Soldier Field.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Sounder wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:00 pm If it's about location....how about Wrigley? It's historic....it's accessible.....hasn't hosted pro football since the 60s....and there really wouldn't be too much to compete against seeing the Cubs begin almost at what would be the end of the XFL season. If you place them outside of Chicago proper, people might not be willing to travel to your games in some surburbia place. Even the Fire are moving back to Soldier Field.
The Cubs own Wrigley Field so they would likely pass on the XFL and besides, the XFL doesn't need to be playing in stadiums where a baseball team is still playing. With Dallas, Globe Life Park is free for them because the Rangers moved across the street. The XFL would not have gone to Globe Life Park if the Rangers were still there in 2020.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:49 pm It should only come back if it can prove they can support non-NFL outdoor football.
There's only one way to prove it.

Chicago's issue is all about the stadium. I sort of figured that Wrigley would be done with football after that Northwestern-Illinois debacle in 2010, but it looks like Northwestern is going back in 2020, 2022, 2024, and 2026. Maybe there is a path forward there after all. It still doesn't change the fact that it's freezing in Chicago in February. And March and April. But if they're looking to test the market, I can get on board with an XFL Championship game at Wrigley.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:17 pmThe Cubs own Wrigley Field so they would likely pass on the XFL
I'm not following. The Cubs seem eager to monetize Wrigley.
GDAWG wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:17 pmthe XFL doesn't need to be playing in stadiums where a baseball team is still playing.
Worked out fine in 2001. It's worth fitting a square peg into a round hole when that hole is a top three media market.
GDAWG wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:17 pm With Dallas, Globe Life Park is free for them because the Rangers moved across the street. The XFL would not have gone to Globe Life Park if the Rangers were still there in 2020.
Wrigley wouldn't need to be retrofit for football.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

I am not opposed to XFL teams playing in MLS stadiums in the future, but it depends on who owns that MLS stadium and whether or not they want football there. The XFL is more likely to get a favorable reaction if the MLS stadium isn't owned by an MLS team, like with Audi Field, who is owned by Washington DC (although DC United is the stadium's operator, in charge of the day to day operations of the stadium) than one that is, although AEG (who own the Los Angeles Galaxy of MLS as well as the NHL's LA Kings) have allowed the Wildcats to play at Dignity Health Sports Park. An example of this could be the Bay Area. The MLS San Jose Earthquakes own Avaya Stadium, so they may not be as receptive to the XFL as Levi's Stadium might be. LA FC owns Banc of California Stadium and they too might not be as receptive to the XFL as the LA Galaxy have been should the Wildcats have to look for a new home or the XFL adds a second LA Team.

Same goes for college football stadiums. The University of Houston was open to the XFL playing at TDECU Stadium, which they own. That's a better option for a new league than NRG Stadium, where the Texans play. Not every college will be like Houston though. If the XFL was to go back to the Bay Area, it would probably be Levi's Stadium as it's unknown whether Stanford or Cal would be open to the XFL at their stadiums.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the XFL commandeer a venue and stage games there without the owner's consent.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:34 pm
GDAWG wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:17 pmThe Cubs own Wrigley Field so they would likely pass on the XFL
I'm not following. The Cubs seem eager to monetize Wrigley.
GDAWG wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:17 pmthe XFL doesn't need to be playing in stadiums where a baseball team is still playing.
Worked out fine in 2001. It's worth fitting a square peg into a round hole when that hole is a top three media market.
GDAWG wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:17 pm With Dallas, Globe Life Park is free for them because the Rangers moved across the street. The XFL would not have gone to Globe Life Park if the Rangers were still there in 2020.
Wrigley wouldn't need to be retrofit for football.
If the Cubs are open to the XFL playing at Wrigley, then put a team there. Again, it's all about how the primary tenant feels. But Chicago needs to prove it can host alternative football. Don't just put a Chicago team there just because it's a top three media market. It needs to prove that non NFL Pro Football can work.