Future XFL Expansion

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Future XFL Expansion

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:36 pm I don't think anyone is suggesting that the XFL commandeer a venue and stage games there without the owner's consent.
Not anyone here, but a few people elsewhere have suggested it for expansion in future years.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

LOL, get out of here. Link?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:41 pm LOL, get out of here. Link?
Been trying to find it. It's one of those random sites I went to while looking up XFL stories. Not XFL Hub or anything like that.
Metallifreak10
Running Back

Post by Metallifreak10 »

The Cubs would not allow football to be played at Wrigley Field during the MLB season. If the XFL went there, they’d draw 30,000+ for the first game, then no one after that(okay, not nobody**). People would show up for the first game because of the novelty of football being played there(last college game there was 2010).

The problem with Wrigley is that it’s not very convenient to get to either. I’m a big Cubs fan and have been to 75+ games over the last 15 years, but parking sucks, and traffic is ridiculous there. The renovations have really been a plus, but I dread dealing with parking and traffic. The last few games I went to this year, we decided to Uber there and back. I’m pretty jealous of how easy it is to get to games at other parks when I go like Miller Park, PNC Park, Chase Field, etc.

Easiest places(including arenas) to get to in Chicago with large amounts of parking is Allstate Arena, Guaranteed Rate Field, and the United Center isn’t too bad. Wrigley Field and Soldier Field both suck to get to. But the vibe and feeling around Wrigley when you are out of your car is great.

Toyota Park(SeatGeek Stadium) is right off of both 294 and 55. I think it’d be a great place for XFL football. Close to suburbs like Joliet, Naperville, Aurora, Orland Park, Wheaton(where I live). But, I will concede that some potential fans would be turned off with it’s location. Not all Bears fans share my distaste for the location of Soldier Field. But a majority do. Well that and most hate that there are only 61,500 seats there. We could never host a Super Bowl in such a small stadium.

Anyways, Other places I’d consider expansion to are San Diego, Denver, San Antonio, Milwaukee, Omaha(likely too small), Raleigh or Charlotte.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

My whole issue with Chicago is that it has failed three times in alternative leagues and I have serious doubts that the XFL will work in the Windy City the second time around unless the XFL decides to use Chicago as a "test market" to see if it can work. Put the XFL Championship game at Wrigley or SeatGeek (depending upon who is interested) for one year, but do have an option for a second year in case it's successful the first time. This way, you can determine if Chicago can work as a future XFL city by looking at attendance figures for the two XFL championships in Chicago. If attendance is above 20,000, then by all means put a team in Chicago. If it's below, you can say that you tried to go there and it didn't work and you didn't have to waste resources putting a team there and have it fail.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Metallifreak10 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:52 pm The Cubs would not allow football to be played at Wrigley Field during the MLB season. If the XFL went there, they’d draw 30,000+ for the first game, then no one after that(okay, not nobody**). People would show up for the first game because of the novelty of football being played there(last college game there was 2010).

The problem with Wrigley is that it’s not very convenient to get to either. I’m a big Cubs fan and have been to 75+ games over the last 15 years, but parking sucks, and traffic is ridiculous there. The renovations have really been a plus, but I dread dealing with parking and traffic. The last few games I went to this year, we decided to Uber there and back. I’m pretty jealous of how easy it is to get to games at other parks when I go like Miller Park, PNC Park, Chase Field, etc.

Easiest places(including arenas) to get to in Chicago with large amounts of parking is Allstate Arena, Guaranteed Rate Field, and the United Center isn’t too bad. Wrigley Field and Soldier Field both suck to get to. But the vibe and feeling around Wrigley when you are out of your car is great.

Toyota Park(SeatGeek Stadium) is right off of both 294 and 55. I think it’d be a great place for XFL football. Close to suburbs like Joliet, Naperville, Aurora, Orland Park, Wheaton(where I live). But, I will concede that some potential fans would be turned off with it’s location. Not all Bears fans share my distaste for the location of Soldier Field. But a majority do. Well that and most hate that there are only 61,500 seats there. We could never host a Super Bowl in such a small stadium.

Anyways, Other places I’d consider expansion to are San Diego, Denver, San Antonio, Milwaukee, Omaha(likely too small), Raleigh or Charlotte.
If the XFL goes to Milwaukee, the XFL is going to have to convince the Milwaukee Brewers to play at Miller Park and that is no easy task. The two largest football stadiums in Wisconsin are in Madison and Green Bay. Everything else is under 10,000.
Metallifreak10
Running Back

Post by Metallifreak10 »

Honestly, I think football would be awesome to see at Miller Park, I’d make the 2-hour trip. But, probably a long shot with the Brewers.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I know that the AAF was interested in Milwaukee, although I don't know how far they got into the process. My memory is that the Brewers blocked the UFL from coming in, but I can't verify that.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

I know that Soccer has been played at Miller Park, so football is doable, but it's up to the Brewers.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

steinerfhc wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:01 pm My thoughts is I think expansion is a given that is going to happen, I think the soonest would be after year two as long they have success after two years in the current market. Meaning year one they do well and after year one they can maintain the interest if not increase it in season two. If they keeps going I can see them adding going into season 3 at the soonest.

Now which cities are going to get them we can debate where until we turn blue at this point or how many teams would be added. My guess would be 2 and doing it by the 2s going forward to keep the divisions even.

For me now it's harder to think who deserves the teams first IMO It shouldn't be about the "market size" but how many in a market are interested in it and how good of the coverage the city will give it. My list no real order:

1. San Diego: Much like the Rams leaving St. Louis, The fans where pretty much handcuffed to be able to do anything to keep the team from leaving and the Chargers was a better team over all than the Rams was in the last 10 years in the market. So I believe the football fans there would love another chance. The AAF was a reason why maybe they didn't pick them to start but still think they do well with the XFL.

2. San Antonio: Another solid market but again they only have an NBA team in that city and believe did well with the AAF. The XFL I see no issues them having success.

3. Chicago: Even as an NFL already market. The idea I like is another rivalry can happen. That is another one for the BattleHawks because St. Louis vs. Chicago is sports goes through multiple sports now. So it's a natural fit for that again.

4. Boston: While yes is Patriots country. The idea of the NY XFL rivalry with the Boston team would be fun. Like St. Louis vs. Chicago a lot of multi sport history.

5. Birmingham, AL.: This was another AAF teamed Market and an XFL original, I think it a great choice because how popular college ball is there.
Your #1 & #2 are a departure from XFL 2.0, but of these 5 definitely the most likely.

SD and especially SA proved well for AAF. They are near other XFL teams and can reduce travel cost and add to local rivalries. While they are NFL sized population wise the TV mkt size is small for XFL 2.0 stds based on first 8 teams but that may be ok or even desire for expansion. To that end I'd add Orlando, its similar pop, but a bigger TV market. Also Orlando gives TB a local rival as SD gives LA, while SA does that for Houston and Dallas, they already have each other.

If they are seriously looking at these markets, they should just use the excellent AAF team names/logos. Its no diff than XFL rebirth. XFL should likely purchase these assets in bankruptcy. Even if its not till yr 3, the purchase alone will create BUZZ.