Future XFL Expansion

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Future XFL Expansion

Post by GDAWG »

steinerfhc wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:01 pm My thoughts is I think expansion is a given that is going to happen, I think the soonest would be after year two as long they have success after two years in the current market. Meaning year one they do well and after year one they can maintain the interest if not increase it in season two. If they keeps going I can see them adding going into season 3 at the soonest.

Now which cities are going to get them we can debate where until we turn blue at this point or how many teams would be added. My guess would be 2 and doing it by the 2s going forward to keep the divisions even.

For me now it's harder to think who deserves the teams first IMO It shouldn't be about the "market size" but how many in a market are interested in it and how good of the coverage the city will give it. My list no real order:

1. San Diego: Much like the Rams leaving St. Louis, The fans where pretty much handcuffed to be able to do anything to keep the team from leaving and the Chargers was a better team over all than the Rams was in the last 10 years in the market. So I believe the football fans there would love another chance. The AAF was a reason why maybe they didn't pick them to start but still think they do well with the XFL.

2. San Antonio: Another solid market but again they only have an NBA team in that city and believe did well with the AAF. The XFL I see no issues them having success.

3. Chicago: Even as an NFL already market. The idea I like is another rivalry can happen. That is another one for the BattleHawks because St. Louis vs. Chicago is sports goes through multiple sports now. So it's a natural fit for that again.

4. Boston: While yes is Patriots country. The idea of the NY XFL rivalry with the Boston team would be fun. Like St. Louis vs. Chicago a lot of multi sport history.

5. Birmingham, AL.: This was another AAF teamed Market and an XFL original, I think it a great choice because how popular college ball is there.
Chicago has never proven it can be a success in alternative football. Why would it be different this time around? My idea for XFL in Chicago is to have the IFL Championship in Chicago for a year, with an option for a second year if there is interest from the sports fans there.
Last edited by GDAWG on Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regular Joe
Quarterback

Post by Regular Joe »

Television has everything to do with the XFL. Middle America, Small town America, Rural, Country, aren't being represented.

Need a Green Bay Packers.

North Dakota has a dome and rabid football fans who show up. Remember ESPN College Game Day? Even the announcers said it was the best crowd they were a part of.

Give me the Underdog next go around.

David vs Goliath.

New York vs North Dakota.

Good for television. What you lose in one market, you pick up in 1000 others. Sell a ton of gear too.
free dj mix download. all punk & hardcore. party tape. more cuss words then any hip hop mixtape. https://soundcloud.com/some-guy-2492895 Click on 'More' and download. dont forget both sides.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Regular Joe wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:27 am Television has everything to do with the XFL. Middle America, Small town America, Rural, Country, aren't being represented.

North Dakota has a dome and rabid football fans who show up. Remember ESPN College Game Day? Even the announcers said it was the best crowd they were a part of.

David vs Goliath.

Good for television. What you lose in one market, you pick up in 1000 others. Sell a ton of gear too.
I think the smallest the XFL would ever go would be a place like St. Louis.
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

Regular Joe wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:27 am Television has everything to do with the XFL. Middle America, Small town America, Rural, Country, aren't being represented.

David vs Goliath.

The Packers would never work if they were starting out now. They only exist because of the history behind the franchise, and the loyalty of the fans.
St. Louis Battlehawks
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Green Bay would be irrelevant as a sports city if not for the Packers. Same cannot be said for a "Green Bay like city" in the XFL. A city like Fargo, North Dakota doesn't need the XFL. Their "pro football" team is the NDSU Bison.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:45 am Green Bay would be irrelevant as a sports city if not for the Packers. Same cannot be said for a "Green Bay like city" in the XFL. A city like Fargo, North Dakota doesn't need the XFL. Their "pro football" team is the NDSU Bison.
But what do they do during the offseason?

Fargo has a dome—admittedly undersized for XFL standards but necessary given the weather in winter there and the market's size—and the XFL's stated purpose is to go where the football fans are. You'd have no competition. The one concern I have is that, at about 300,000, Grand Forks/Fargo is a VERY small market. But imagine the area going absolutely wild for having their own pro sports team.

There's a case to be made that the XFL should start looking at smaller markets. Some of the greatest success stories of the leagues that ultimately failed were the cities that had nothing. Shreveport for the CFL: a God-awful ownership group, a small market and a pretty bad team, but could get over 30,000 fans on a good day. Omaha was an attendance leader in the UFL and FXFL. Jacksonville parlayed its support for the USFL into landing the Jaguars.

And if you look at TV ratings, what is the NFL's (and, for that matter, the NHL's) highest rated market on a regular basis? Buffalo, New York.

There is a place for small markets in a big league. There's a reason why these teams have been such successes when the LA's and Chicago's fizzle out. But of course, you need big cities, too—so long as, like New York, they're actually interested enough for it to matter.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:12 am
GDAWG wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:45 am Green Bay would be irrelevant as a sports city if not for the Packers. Same cannot be said for a "Green Bay like city" in the XFL. A city like Fargo, North Dakota doesn't need the XFL. Their "pro football" team is the NDSU Bison.
But what do they do during the offseason?

Fargo has a dome—admittedly undersized for XFL standards but necessary given the weather in winter there and the market's size—and the XFL's stated purpose is to go where the football fans are. You'd have no competition. The one concern I have is that, at about 300,000, Grand Forks/Fargo is a VERY small market. But imagine the area going absolutely wild for having their own pro sports team.

There's a case to be made that the XFL should start looking at smaller markets. Some of the greatest success stories of the leagues that ultimately failed were the cities that had nothing. Shreveport for the CFL: a God-awful ownership group, a small market and a pretty bad team, but could get over 30,000 fans on a good day. Omaha was an attendance leader in the UFL and FXFL. Jacksonville parlayed its support for the USFL into landing the Jaguars.

And if you look at TV ratings, what is the NFL's (and, for that matter, the NHL's) highest rated market on a regular basis? Buffalo, New York.

There is a place for small markets in a big league. There's a reason why these teams have been such successes when the LA's and Chicago's fizzle out. But of course, you need big cities, too—so long as, like New York, they're actually interested enough for it to matter.
I think that there's a place too for smaller markets in the XFL. Every one of the major leagues have a combination of large and smaller markets. The NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB and MLS has a nice mix of small and large markets and they thrive because of it. The NBA is a strong example. They have the Knicks and Nets in New York and the Clippers and Lakers in LA, but they also have teams in Memphis, San Antonio, New Orleans, Orlando, Sacramento, Portland, Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City and Milwaukee. The NFL is also another one. The NFL has New Orleans, Buffalo, Green Bay and Jacksonville. MLB has St. Louis and Milwaukee.

If the XFL is to last and thrive, they cannot go 100% major markets. There needs to be a mix.
The XFL Today
Rookie

Post by The XFL Today »

Personally, I think the best choices for expansion are for the following cities:
Birmingham, Alabama (former home of the Bolts)
Chicago, Illinois (former home of the Enforcers)
Las Vegas, Nevada (former home of the Outlaws)
Memphis, Tennessee (former home of the Maniax)
Orlando, Florida (former home of the Rage)
Portland, Oregon
San Antonio, Texas

Some of these cities have a hard time hanging on to teams, but this XFL should make sure teams are placed in these cities, especially Birmingham, Memhis, Orlando, Portland and San Antonio. But Chicago is essential and crucial.
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

The XFL Today wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:18 pm Personally, I think the best choices for expansion are for the following cities:
Birmingham, Alabama (former home of the Bolts)
Chicago, Illinois (former home of the Enforcers)
Las Vegas, Nevada (former home of the Outlaws)
Memphis, Tennessee (former home of the Maniax)
Orlando, Florida (former home of the Rage)
Portland, Oregon
San Antonio, Texas

Some of these cities have a hard time hanging on to teams, but this XFL should make sure teams are placed in these cities, especially Birmingham, Memhis, Orlando, Portland and San Antonio. But Chicago is essential and crucial.
I think Raleigh-Durham is an underrated option. No NFL team in market, plenty of stadiums, minimal competition, over 1 million TV homes(25th). Charlotte could work too though. Having a team in either allows you to probably parlay both TV markets somewhat. Unfortunately, Sacramento lacks good stadium options for now unless you really want to play football in really old, not as updated stadiums like at sacramento state or hughes. Portland is a good option too but you only have one option to play at Providence Park but if you can make that work, do it. san antonio is an easy option for sure. Indianapolis is also pretty underrated as a market and provides unique NFL relationship building opportunities. Birmingham and Memphis could work as well, but the AAF left a pretty bad taste in my mouth from them. Vegas is a good option but I'm concerned about attendance and ratings compared to san diego who has abandoned Chargers fans. Despite being close to Tampa, Orlando still is a sizable market and only has the Magic to compete with and it has a pretty promising history of supporting offseason football. Market size is smaller than san diego though.

Notice, all of these options have no more than 1 NFL team and 1 non NFL team combined.

If I had to rank "small TV market" options
1. san antonio
2. Indianapolis(due to NFL relationship potential)
3.san diego(pending stadium renovation, farther from LA than Orlando to TB especially considering traffic)
4. Orlando
5. Portland(for the rivalry with seattle and having hardcore fans)
6. Raleigh-Durham/Charlotte
7. Las Vegas
8. Memphis
9. Birmingham
Realistic options left out: sacramento(stadium issues)

Big TV Market Options(1.5M TV homes or more)
1. Bay Area- if the XFL can work out a way to fix that coliseum's structural and plumbing issues with Oakland and the A's, they should come no more questions asked. If not, explore other options in Berkeley, san jose, or maybe even santa clara, but this may not be as ideal. The league crushed it in the bay area the last time, so this really seems like a must. Capturing abandoned Raiders fans in addition to the entire market of the Bay vaults this over Philly.
2. Philadelphia- Considering Chicago's laundry list of failed spring league teams, giving Philly a shot may not be a bad idea, and they still have over 6M people in their metro area. Philly also has a much stronger MLS attendance record compared to Chicago(which indicates families may be more willing to come out and spend) and Philly's MLS stadium would be much less difficult to fill as it is 10K seats smaller than in Chicago, if the XFL wanted to opt for that. Not to mention, Philly doesn't have two baseball teams to compete with like Chicago(yes, I know the Bay does, but the Bay is a unique situation because you have a ton of abandoned Raiders fans). Philly has a good history with spring football as well.
3. Detroit- Football fans in this city have suffered a TON this century with only 3 playoff appearances...why not bring an XFL team here? stadium options are pretty limited here, with only Ford Field being a viable option. The trouble here is there are a ton of options for a market that isn't that big and, while having troubled fanbases, doesn't have abandoned football fans and isn't a huge market like philly, and has all 4 big leagues unlike Tampa. Not a bad option to have in the long term.
4. Denver- There was a pretty strong history with the usfl here, and denver would be a solid market size wise to get into. There is also an mls stadium here to play in should the xfl want to. Helps that the Broncos are a mess for now.

Options left out due to poor history- Atlanta, Chicago, Phoenix, Boston
Options left out due to having not enough market size/attendance, and too many other good options in sports and events- Miami, Minneapolis, Boston, Chicago, Atlanta

Anybody I left out here?
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Just going by TV market. Chicago, Philly and The Bay Area are the way to go. In terms of market size and the number of TV homes. Oliver Luck may be paying lip service to non XFL markets but when he was on San Diego Radio. He mentioned that San Diego was in consideration before the AAF took it off the table. The first market the XFL negotiated with was Oakland and that didn’t work out because of their demands. I hope the league expands to 4 more cities.