CFL Free Agency Starts on February 11th.

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

CFL Free Agency Starts on February 11th.

Post by GDAWG »

Free Agency in the CFL starts on February 11th 2020, and that is two days following the start of the XFL season. However, due to the nature of football, in season roster moves happen all of the time. The NFL does this and the CFL does this so we should expect the XFL to so the same. We expect that there will be a Team Nine, but team 9 should not be the only option when it comes to signing players to replace the ones who are injured. This is the list of CFL free agents for 2020.

https://www.cfl.ca/fa20/

Any of those free agents interest you as a possible in-season addition to the XFL?
Last edited by GDAWG on Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
BengalErnst
Quarterback

Re: CFL Free Agency Stars on February 11th.

Post by BengalErnst »

So many of these guys could play in the XFL but I don’t see many jumping over. CFL just has too much history. AAF recent crash doesn’t help the XFL here
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I know he's a bit over the hill, but it's a travesty SJ Green never played in the NFL. Seeing him reunited with Trestman would warm my heart, especially since he went to USF.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

BengalErnst wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:55 pm So many of these guys could play in the XFL but I don’t see many jumping over. CFL just has too much history. AAF recent crash doesn’t help the XFL here
Some might jump to the XFL. I do think that Winnipeg will keep two of Streveler, Nichols and Collaros though and I could see Toronto keeping McCleod Bethel-Thompson. James Franklin could be an interesting addition to the XFL.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

This situation is a lot like college players and current NFL free agents sitting on the fence. The XFL will be more of a realistic avenue for CFL Free Agents in year two.

That being stated, You can't discount the connections that June Jones and Marc Trestman have to the CFL and I am pretty sure that there are specific players that they will target in February. Unique positioning in that, CFL free agency starts just days after week one in the XFL. That won't stop Trestman and Jones from pushing the league office to sign CFL players that they covet. It happened in the first XFL.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MikeMitchell wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:39 pm This situation is a lot like college players and current NFL free agents sitting on the fence. The XFL will be more of a realistic avenue for CFL Free Agents in year two.

That being stated, You can't discount the connections that June Jones and Marc Trestman have to the CFL and I am pretty sure that there are specific players that they will target in February. Unique positioning in that, CFL free agency starts just days after week one in the XFL. That won't stop Trestman and Jones from pushing the league office to sign CFL players that they covet. It happened in the first XFL.
Injuries play a factor as well.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:32 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:39 pm This situation is a lot like college players and current NFL free agents sitting on the fence. The XFL will be more of a realistic avenue for CFL Free Agents in year two.

Injuries play a factor as well.
No doubt. Injuries are going to play a big factor for sure. They are inevitable. Even though the NFL season is longer. Look no further than NFL rosters to see how many players are on IR for each team.

Team Nine is supposed to be roughly 40 to 45 players, and it will act as the league's unofficial free agent player pool. The league is going to need to constantly restock Team Nine during the season. It may start at 40 but end up with over a hundred players spending time on Team Nine during the course of a 13 week season. (10 regular, 3 for the playoffs)

Top CFL free agents will probably stay in Canada but the fringe players will consider the XFL. Especially if they have a connection with an XFL team and foresee themselves as getting significant playing time.
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

Eric Striker would definitely be interesting but I have no concept of how likely it would be for him to come to the XFL.
St. Louis Battlehawks
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

I think it's best to leave well enough alone here, you won't get any prime CFL free agents to come down and play half a season in the XFL. If we get a Kevin Swayne out of the deal (swap the AFL for the NAL since that's replaced it calendar-wise), that means the worst case scenario happened.

I'm as big a Chris Matthews guy as there is, but no way he comes back down south unless he goes unsigned for a few days. Then it's not (even in best case) a case of plug and play--sure he spent a year and half with Marshawn Lynch, but unless he became him, it's a waste of a spot. Remember, you're taking guys that would normally be in the middle of their off-season and in about two weeks trying to change them into midseason form.

There's a reason why no prime NFL stars ever immediately jumped to the USFL. Walter Payton came close; LT was just the usual bluster used lately for dishwashers and windmills; Joe Cribbs was a unique situation, but it's pretty much a warning shot against that ever happening again. The timelines just don't allow for it.

Besides, no better way to go back to trying to catch a bus.............