The XFL's lower bowl stadium strategy

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

The XFL's lower bowl stadium strategy

Post by MikeMitchell »

This is not really a thing with Dallas, DC or LA. All 3 stadiums are in the 20k range capacity.

However with New York, St.Louis, Tampa and Seattle. The XFL is only selling tickets in the lower bowls in these larger stadiums. Now TDECU for Houston isn't as large as the other NFL sized stadiums. It's in that 40k range capacity. The Roughnecks are also employing a similar strategy but to a lesser extent.

At MetLife for the Guardians. The team is only selling tickets for the lower bowl. That would amount to a little over 33 thousand seats. The intriguing one is St.Louis, their lower bowl would be about 27 or 28k. One of the things with only selling lower bowl tickets is to put all the fans in one area rather than them being scattered all over the stadium.

How the networks shoot these games and how the league and venues tarp off or design the upper bowls should be interesting. Some MLS teams use a similar strategy and use the open stadium areas to their benefit.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: The XFL's lower bowl stadium strategy

Post by GDAWG »

It will probably be the same strategy for future expansion. Example if one of the next expansion teams is in the Bay Area, they would probably use the lower half of Levi's Stadium unless the Bay Area XFL team is at the 18,000 seat MLS Avaya Stadium, although since the MLS San Jose Earthquakes own that stadium, I am not sure they would be in favor of an XFL team there.
steinerfhc
Quarterback

Post by steinerfhc »

It make sense because they want the on camera stuff look full as a visual. If they opened all seats, fans would be more spread out, now if the XFL takes off and there becomes more a demand, than it would make sense to open upper level but when you target goal for now should be 20,000.
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:09 pm This is not really a thing with Dallas, DC or LA. All 3 stadiums are in the 20k range capacity.

However with New York, St.Louis, Tampa and Seattle. The XFL is only selling tickets in the lower bowls in these larger stadiums. Now TDECU for Houston isn't as large as the other NFL sized stadiums. It's in that 40k range capacity. The Roughnecks are also employing a similar strategy but to a lesser extent.

At MetLife for the Guardians. The team is only selling tickets for the lower bowl. That would amount to a little over 33 thousand seats. The intriguing one is St.Louis, their lower bowl would be about 27 or 28k. One of the things with only selling lower bowl tickets is to put all the fans in one area rather than them being scattered all over the stadium.

How the networks shoot these games and how the league and venues tarp off or design the upper bowls should be interesting. Some MLS teams use a similar strategy and use the open stadium areas to their benefit.
I like the advertising tarps if the upper bowl is visible on camera. Get a few bucks and hide the empty seats at the same time.

Outside the box (and likely too expensive, gimmicky, and unrealistic) thought - How about using virtual fans? ESPN can get on the horn with Disney and get some tech to fill those seats with fans. In some way, be it tarp, green screen, CGI, hologram etc, put the fans from home, in those seats. I know the NFL uses a graphic overlay of the field for snowy games (and advertising as well?). Fans could send in a selfie, maybe even a 5 sec video, of them cheering for their team and get it pasted or overlaid in some way into a seat. Could even have "watch party" sections with a live feed from the party green screened or even projected. Could even go low tech and put cardboard cutouts of those fans in the seats and maybe show occasional fans home videos on the big screen.

Or...just go with the advertising tarps until interest increases enough to fill with real people :)
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
jcestl
Running Back

Post by jcestl »

I think your green screen idea could be a genius move. I'm not that much in favor of "fake" fans in the seats....but you could use it show videos on....maybe something along the lines of the videos shown on the team name reveals. Or even just "erase" that part of the stadium with scenes of what's beyond the stadium, or outside in the case of St Louis. Lots of possibilities. Not to mention the advertising potential
jcestl
Running Back

Post by jcestl »

Or even place the stadium somewhere completely different. Oceanside. In the middle of a desert. Tampa could be in a jungle. The Arch could be right next to the St Louis stadium. It could be on the moon....whatever.
Nothing to do with football....but fun
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

jcestl wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:28 pm I think your green screen idea could be a genius move. I'm not that much in favor of "fake" fans in the seats....but you could use it show videos on....maybe something along the lines of the videos shown on the team name reveals. Or even just "erase" that part of the stadium with scenes of what's beyond the stadium, or outside in the case of St Louis. Lots of possibilities. Not to mention the advertising potential
Yeah, the "fake fan" thing could backfire for sure. It would have to be a transparent thing, stressing the idea of getting the fan who can't get to a game, feel like they are included in the fun.

Even a low tech printed tarp with fans faces would look better than empty seats. May include some sort of charity i.e. pictures of kids who are in childrens hospitals, or include donations for charities to get your face on the tarp. Something more than just hiding the empty seat with fake fans.

I think a green screen might be cool also. Could always put the weather forecast maps on them as well :D

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

jcestl wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:37 pm Or even place the stadium somewhere completely different. Oceanside. In the middle of a desert. Tampa could be in a jungle. The Arch could be right next to the St Louis stadium. It could be on the moon....whatever.
Whoa!!! A ring of fire at the Dragons Lair?!?!?!? Dragons circling the stadium?!?!?!?!?

jcestl
Running Back

Post by jcestl »

Andibald wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:41 pm
jcestl wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:37 pm Or even place the stadium somewhere completely different. Oceanside. In the middle of a desert. Tampa could be in a jungle. The Arch could be right next to the St Louis stadium. It could be on the moon....whatever.
Whoa!!! A ring of fire at the Dragons Lair?!?!?!? Dragons circling the stadium?!?!?!?!?
I was just thinking about circling dragons........
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

I see boredom has set in as there's not a whole lot left for us to discuss. I see them doing what MLS does.....at least at CenturyLink. With the tarped upper tier.....that leaves 32000 seats. It's enough for now.....and yeah maybe it looks 🧀 cheesy......but ads placed on the tarping can and should be a revenue source. But as demand increases.....more tarp is removed and real people.....not superimposed or holographic....will fill those seats.