ESPN & ABC XFL Full Broadcast teams announced

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: ESPN & ABC XFL Full Broadcast teams announced

Post by MikeMitchell »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:26 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:18 pm
GregParks wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:55 pm Yeah, the point of my post wasn't to mean it would be IMPOSSIBLE for the XFL to come out with new innovations; just that in 2001, the NFL was kind of ripe for the picking as far as not seeming to have embraced a different look for their broadcasts, which is where the XFL stepped in. I'm not sure I can say that here in 2019 as the NFL has done a nice job embracing new technology in terms of how to present the games.

I'm wondering if Fox will have a McAfee-equivalent on their broadcasts; that is, sort of a roving reporter on the sidelines, or if that will be ESPN/ABC exclusive. Similarly, I wonder if innovations in how the game is broadcast will be shared between Fox and ESPN/ABC, or if each network will bring its own flavor to the table with its own innovations. We see that a bit with the slight differences between NBC, ESPN, and others airing NFL games, but for the most part, it's the same.
I think that Luginbill or Russini could fill the field analyst role during the ABC games. Luginbill has a ton of personality and is smart. Former coach/player. So he will know what to ask if called into that role. He’s also good with X’s and O’s.

That’s a good question about Fox. They also have two broadcasts every week. We know about Curt Menefee and Joel Klatt in the booth for Fox. No word yet on the second team. It stands to reason that the XFL is going to have a field analyst for every game.

The other question is whether the league has an in studio halftime show. Now with smaller leagues. You don’t have other games going on at the same time. So the focus is usually on the game at hand and previewing other upcoming games. These broadcasts have 3 hour windows. So I don’t see any pre game shows, at least not as leads in on ABC and Fox. Since every telecast is a doubleheader. I don’t see any extensive post game shows but a studio team can be a bridge to the next game if a game ends in that 2 hour and 40 minute window.
Regarding halftime, there won't be any stripper cheerleaders this time around, but if 2001 was any indication, the live look-ins at the locker rooms might very well make a comeback.

There's an unsubstantiated rumor that McMahon wanted to get rid of halftime altogether, which probably won't happen, but it wouldn't surprise me if the "less stall, more ball" approach shortens halftime substantially.
Strippers/cheerleaders are the furthest thing from my mind. Although there was the Hitmen-Bolts game in 2001....... Never mind.

I think halftime will be brief. There will certainly be some form of analysis/access to the teams during this process. How much remains to be seen. I think halftime overall will be shortened a bit.

Those first games are going to be something else. Some of the concepts will work. Some won’t. It’s not until these things are in play that we and the league will know for sure.

A studio team would be great in terms of recapping the first half and setting the stage for the game that follows. In my world, the league has someone who breaks down the game visually and someone who focuses on the fantasy/gambling aspect.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:13 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:26 pm There's an unsubstantiated rumor that McMahon wanted to get rid of halftime altogether, which probably won't happen, but it wouldn't surprise me if the "less stall, more ball" approach shortens halftime substantially.
That wasn't really a rumor -- McMahon specifically referenced potentially eliminating halftime at least twice during the debut press conference. But it does seem that the idea has landed on the cutting room floor.
You are right. Halftime might be shortened a bit.

In order to make halftime entertaining. The league might introduce a weekly feature that gets the audience into the second half. Less is more and it could be something as simple as live look-ins into the locker room with an added twist. The XFL using social media, could show plenty of pre, postgame and in game added footage. There should definitely be weekly shows that take fans behind the scenes in the lead up to, during and after games. Get the fans to know their teams.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

If the XFL really does the all audio feature with coaches being able to communicate with all 11 of their players on the field. That’s going to make for a fascinating watch and listen.

That might be one innovative way of presenting the game live.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

I think it's important to have a pregame show of some kind. I'm not sure what if any shoulder programming will be available for the league on these networks as some have suggested in terms of pre-or-post-games, etc. A halftime studio show wouldn't be real important to me as you could have the game announcers react, combined with the footage/audio culled from the first half and call it a day, especially if halftime is shortened. Though if you're already doing a pre-game studio show, sending it to them at halftime would make sense.
@gregmparks
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GregParks wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:57 pm I think it's important to have a pregame show of some kind. I'm not sure what if any shoulder programming will be available for the league on these networks as some have suggested in terms of pre-or-post-games, etc. A halftime studio show wouldn't be real important to me as you could have the game announcers react, combined with the footage/audio culled from the first half and call it a day, especially if halftime is shortened. Though if you're already doing a pre-game studio show, sending it to them at halftime would make sense.
Truth be told. Despite being a huge football fan. I don’t watch pre, halftime or post game shows like I did years ago. It was fun as a kid when you didn’t have multiple game options and would get scoring updates from other games, and the halftime shows would serve as a good build up to the second half. Now the viewing pattern is focused on my team and my fantasy players. I enjoy halftime because I can go check the other games action.

The XFL is partially different in that they don’t have multiple games going on at the same time. So you can centralize your focus on the game at hand and the upcoming games to follow. The NFL has this element when they have feature prime time games on Thursday, Sunday and Monday night.

I don’t want to over state it because its not of extreme importance but if the XFL can make halftime interesting and have some sort of feature worth watching in relation to the game, then it would keep viewers interested in the game, that’s still being played and what’s to follow. The League and networks don’t want viewers checking out at halftime. Obviously the competitiveness of the game and score is crucial to that. It’s really a small observation but I think some sort of new hook or feature that compliments the game could help. It could be just McAfee invading the locker rooms but who knows what the league has up it’s sleeve.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:46 pm
GregParks wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:57 pm I think it's important to have a pregame show of some kind. I'm not sure what if any shoulder programming will be available for the league on these networks as some have suggested in terms of pre-or-post-games, etc. A halftime studio show wouldn't be real important to me as you could have the game announcers react, combined with the footage/audio culled from the first half and call it a day, especially if halftime is shortened. Though if you're already doing a pre-game studio show, sending it to them at halftime would make sense.
Truth be told. Despite being a huge football fan. I don’t watch pre, halftime or post game shows like I did years ago. It was fun as a kid when you didn’t have multiple game options and would get scoring updates from other games, and the halftime shows would serve as a good build up to the second half. Now the viewing pattern is focused on my team and my fantasy players. I enjoy halftime because I can go check the other games action.
And I think for folks like you and me and others on this board, no, the pregame show isn't as important because we're already so familiar with the players, coaches, storylines, etc. I'm thinking more for the casual viewer, the one who wants to see what this XFL is all about. The pregame show is a chance to hook them into the franchises, the players, and perhaps most importantly in this case, the new rules. It's a chance to familiarize the casual viewer with the league; pace of play may be such that there won't be as many in-game opportunities for that to happen.
@gregmparks
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Diana Russini audio and video on her XFL Field Analyst role. She goes into some detail but says she was told not to reveal all the details about the role.

https://app.criticalmention.com/app/#cl ... 10282683dc
kennyloggins
Rookie

Post by kennyloggins »

Woah. I am excited to hear Tom. I still remember watching the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl listening to Tom. Let's see how well he does this time. ;)
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Maybe a happy medium would be a pregame show aimed at the casual or first time fan. Something with player/coach vignettes and features that introduce the teams, their cities, and their fans. The halftime show could be directed for the more hardcore fans, bettors, and fantasy players. Lots of stats, player comparisons, fantasy moves and the like.

Obviously this would include a hard look at the first half. I know I will blow off the pregame except in the opening weeks but be glued to the screen at half time if it isn't t all fluff.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

I like that idea Firecop.