Lowered expectations for the XFL’s eight assigned quarterbacks

XFL Football discussion.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Lowered expectations for the XFL’s eight assigned quarterbacks

Post by LeoNY »

When this process began. The dream scenario for some people was that the XFL’s eight assigned quarterbacks would look something like this.

Colin Kaepernick, Tim Tebow, Johnny Manziel, Cardale Jones, Paxton Lynch, Landry Jones, Chad Kelly, Devlin Hodges etc

The reality after listening to Oliver Luck’s interview Thursday and after seeing what has transpired in the NFL since the summer. My expectations have been lowered. Oliver Luck down played the league’s assignment quarterbacks and made it seem as if they are just temporary and that the league will still be pursuing better alternatives at the position.

So the initial list of projected starting quarterbacks will probably end up looking like this. Probably because the quarterbacks the XFL wanted are on NFL rosters or some players passed for now. Like maybe a Cardale Jones, who is probably hoping for a way back into the NFL. This is probably what the list may look like.

Brandon Silvers, Kevin Hogan, Landry Jones, Tom Savage, Luis Perez, Ryan Mallett, Jordan Taamu, Wilson Speight etc
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Re: Lowered expectations for the XFL’s eight assigned quarterbacks

Post by XFLInSTL »

While those aren't as good as Cardale Jones, Devlin Hodges, etc. Silvers, Mallett, Landry Jones, Perez, and Savage are a solid group. If Manziel maybe were to be involved (which of course is just rumors) then that would be six solid Tier One QBs.

Some other names that you may be forgetting from the showcases are Phillip Nelson, Devante Kincade, and Keith Price.
St. Louis Battlehawks
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

XFLInSTL wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:21 am While those aren't as good as Cardale Jones, Devlin Hodges, etc. Silvers, Mallett, Landry Jones, Perez, and Savage are a solid group. If Manziel maybe were to be involved (which of course is just rumors) then that would be six solid Tier One QBs.

Some other names that you may be forgetting from the showcases are Phillip Nelson, Devante Kincade, and Keith Price.
When it comes to the XFL. A lot of assumptions are made. I am assuming that the quarterbacks that are in the draft pool lists are not the assigned quarterbacks. For example, Landry Jones is not listed in the pool because he is one of the assigned quarterbacks.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

LeoNY wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:10 pm
XFLInSTL wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:21 am While those aren't as good as Cardale Jones, Devlin Hodges, etc. Silvers, Mallett, Landry Jones, Perez, and Savage are a solid group. If Manziel maybe were to be involved (which of course is just rumors) then that would be six solid Tier One QBs.

When it comes to the XFL. A lot of assumptions are made. I am assuming that the quarterbacks that are in the draft pool lists are not the assigned quarterbacks. For example, Landry Jones is not listed in the pool because he is one of the assigned quarterbacks.
Which I think is a safe assumption. They have Jones under contract and he hasn't been spotted trying out for any NFL teams. So if he's not in the pool, the other seven probably aren't either. Plus, that would also confirm those reports earlier this year about Mallett having signed a Tier 1 deal.

Not all of the XFL's quarterbacks have to be former starters in the NFL. It'd be nice to have a league like that, but it's more important to have a few of them mainly to serve as a benchmark for the others who don't have that experience. Shane Boyd is STILL playing pro ball in the arena league in part because he proved he could hang with the likes of Brooks Bollinger and J.P. Losman. (Speaking of the old UFL, I wonder if the XFL has considered Chase Clement, who's largely been out of football since the UFL but is still of playing age. If not, it's worth asking him.)
steinerfhc
Quarterback

Post by steinerfhc »

This is what I am expecting as the QBs, Mallet maybe not because of the legal issues he suffered recently may cost him and I honestly don't see Manziel because if the XFL really had him on board they say something like they did Landry because the attention to the league would be a big deal and they need to be talked about.