XFL Opening home attendance

XFL Football discussion.
Sounder
Coach

XFL Opening home attendance

Post by Sounder »

This is a closest to the pin prediction thread.
Seattle Dragons:. It's likely the upper tier of CLF will be tarped..... leaving the lower bowl of roughly 32,000 seats available. And I believe they'll sell out. Barring lousy weather.... Opening:. 32,174.
Los Angeles Wildcats:. It's a good thing they're not playing in the mausoleum,,. the scaled down soccer facility of 30,000 seats or so offers a more intimate tv friendly setting..... Opening:. 21,683.
Houston Roughnecks:. Pro teams that play on college grounds tend to draw lower for some reason.... but they'll draw fairly well..... Figure would be higher if Dallas is the opponent.
Opening:. 27,349.
Dallas Renegades: Texas is and has always been a football crazy state. America's team resides here..... will there be enough love to spill over..... Playing in a renovated baseball stadium..... will be higher is Houston is the opponent.....Opening:. 34,229.
St. Louis BattleHawks: Just like Seattle.... Expect to see upper tier seating converted.... Fans are buying enough team merchandise to lead the XFL.... but city has poorly supported and lost two NFL franchises. Opening:. 22,371.
DC Defenders: They have a real opportunity to make a positive impression in this market. The last time a spring team came to Washington.... it was the USFL Federals and the Redskins were coming off a super bowl win and heading to another SB. NOW...... The skins are bad and they've fired their coach..... Venue is small..... But it will sell out.... Opening:. 21,054. That's above listed capacity I believe.
New York Guardians:. Neither New York area NFL team is really rockin it either.... New York Hitmen of 2001 were second in overall attendance behind San Francisco.....I expect a solid opening attendance here..... Opening:. 36,987.
Tampa Bay Vipers:. Florida has always been friendly for alternative football teams. The USFL Bandits were one of that leagues bright spots.... so it wouldn't surprise me if their opener draws well.....Opening: 39,994.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: XFL Opening home attendance

Post by MikeMitchell »

Good write up. Your projections are high. The league would do backflips if they did those numbers in week one. Tampa scares me. You get snowbirds in that time of the year and it's a beautiful stadium but people in that market don't support their local teams, the way they should.

I think that the Renegades stadium might be of a smaller capacity.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

MikeMitchell wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:11 pm Good write up. Your projections are high. The league would do backflips if they did those numbers in week one. Tampa scares me. You get snowbirds in that time of the year and it's a beautiful stadium but people in that market don't support their local teams, the way they should.

Football's been an exception to that. Bandit Ball in the 80s and the Storm for most of arena ball's history have been rousing successes. I am more optimistic than you about Tampa Bay.

Washington and Los Angeles are the ones that make me the most nervous.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:32 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:11 pm Good write up. Your projections are high. The league would do backflips if they did those numbers in week one. Tampa scares me. You get snowbirds in that time of the year and it's a beautiful stadium but people in that market don't support their local teams, the way they should.

Football's been an exception to that. Bandit Ball in the 80s and the Storm for most of arena ball's history have been rousing successes. I am more optimistic than you about Tampa Bay.

Washington and Los Angeles are the ones that make me the most nervous.
I hope that you are right. The thing, I like about DC and LA is their size. Forgetting the business and sponsorship opportunities because of the strength of those markets. Both play in smaller venues and will from an optical standpoint look better with 15 to 20k a game rather than a large stadium like Tampa, which will need smoke and mirrors to make 20k look good in that venue.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

The thing about DC is that fans are tired of the Redskins and the Arena Football League's Valor is a non-factor. They need a football team that has great organization and it's what the Commanders have.

I think Los Angeles will have attendance issues despite playing in a smaller stadium.

Those projections in the original post seem too high. All the XFL needs is 15,000 to 20,000 per game for the 1st season. The issue now is the growing Anti-Vince McMahon sentiment that has rapidly grown in the last 24 hours and whether or not that will affect the XFL or if it will die down by February.
XFLSTLOUIS
Receiver

Post by XFLSTLOUIS »

St. Louis per capita is one of the best sports cities in America. The national perception that St. Louis did not support the Rams is absolutely false. For 10 years St. Louis had every Rams game sold out at the Dome which at the time was the loudest stadium in the NFL. St. Louis fans paid for the Dome and large numbers of PSLs. During the Greatest Show on Turf days the atmosphere was amazing. It was only when after 15 years of the Rams tanking with the worst winning percentage in the history of the NFL and the underlying knowing that the plan was to relocate to LA as a long range plan that fans felt betrayed. The reality is that the fan support for the Rams in LA has been horrible compared to TV ratings per capita in St. Louis and the fan support here. St. Louis is the only city in NFL history to build or offer to build to new stadiums for a team over a 20 year span. The word here is that fans in St. Louis feel so betrayed by the NFL that the best way to express that is to support the XFL all the way. Yes we are an amazing baseball city, yes the support of the Stanley Cup Champion Blues has been incredible, yes the support for the new MLS soccer team will be huge, and yes the XFL will be big here too as we have a ton of passionate football fans in St. Louis
XFLSTLOUIS
Receiver

Post by XFLSTLOUIS »

St. Louis would have been the only city in NFL history to build 2 tax supported stadiums for an NFL franchise in a 20 year span which was the offer to the Rams. Fans here feel betrayed by the NFL and Oliver Luck in interviews in St. Louis acknowledged that strong fan support for football was a reason why the XFL choose St. Louis. Our team President has done a great job engaging the community. The XFL has potential to be really big here.
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

STL will be out in force, dude. We're arguably the best sports city in the country, on average at least, and we're hungry for football again. The idea that we didn't support the Rams is ridiculous. Look at the Greatest Show on Turf era, when the Dome was one of the best atmospheres in the league.
St. Louis Battlehawks
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

XFLInSTL wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:22 pm STL will be out in force, dude. We're arguably the best sports city in the country, on average at least, and we're hungry for football again. The idea that we didn't support the Rams is ridiculous. Look at the Greatest Show on Turf era, when the Dome was one of the best atmospheres in the league.
Indeed. That whole situation with Kroenke (who wasn't even supposed to be allowed to buy the team under league rules at the time) was a ploy to get back to L.A. But then again, it's not the first time a shady owner deprived St. Louis of pro football.

I mean, I get it—the NFL was foolish to not have a single NFL team in a city as big as LA for as long as it did—but maybe they should've looked at some metro areas that had more than one team before they took the only NFL option away from others. The Raiders, for example. BUT the Raiders were poor, and the Davis family didn't want to give up their stake in the team to get a new stadium... whereas Kroenke was a multibillionaire with a multibillionaire wife. And Davis decided to go with the flash of Vegas instead of literally middling St. Louis.

If there's one city that I want to see come out in full force in support of the XFL, it's St. Louis.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:06 pm
XFLInSTL wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:22 pm STL will be out in force, dude. We're arguably the best sports city in the country, on average at least, and we're hungry for football again. The idea that we didn't support the Rams is ridiculous. Look at the Greatest Show on Turf era, when the Dome was one of the best atmospheres in the league.
Indeed. That whole situation with Kroenke (who wasn't even supposed to be allowed to buy the team under league rules at the time) was a ploy to get back to L.A. But then again, it's not the first time a shady owner deprived St. Louis of pro football.

I mean, I get it—the NFL was foolish to not have a single NFL team in a city as big as LA for as long as it did—but maybe they should've looked at some metro areas that had more than one team before they took the only NFL option away from others. The Raiders, for example. BUT the Raiders were poor, and the Davis family didn't want to give up their stake in the team to get a new stadium... whereas Kroenke was a multibillionaire with a multibillionaire wife. And Davis decided to go with the flash of Vegas instead of literally middling St. Louis.

If there's one city that I want to see come out in full force in support of the XFL, it's St. Louis.
Kroenke was able to circumvent the whole "An NFL Owner cannot own a team in another sport if that sport is in an NFL Market" by transferring ownership of the Denver Nuggets and Colorado Avalanche to his wife, which made a mockery of that rule.