When will the first XFL city be chosen?

XFL Football discussion.
XFL2020
Receiver

When will the first XFL city be chosen?

Post by XFL2020 »

I was wondering when we might expect the first XFL city to be chosen? This summer?
Sykotyk
Quarterback

Re: When will the first XFL city be chosen?

Post by Sykotyk »

That sounds about right. Gives 18 months to market inside the city. I'd guess all 8 to be picked sometime this year. Hopefully before end of August. Names and logos probably once nfl is over in 2019. The 1 year countdown.

Cities need a stadium and signed contract before they can be announced. Some of those might not be quick to hammer out. Though picky venues probably just get passed over.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

The first ones to be chosen will be the obvious ones. Then later the interesting cities which weren't a slam dunk will be chosen. That would be cool if they chose the 8 teams this summer but I'm not sure though if that's what they're going to do. The first XFL gave about half a year from the selection to the inaugural game. Since they wanted an extra year it might make sense to give it one and a half years to market the teams in their cities. I do expect them to select the cities before the end of this year though.
Ready for the team reveals...again
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

They need to choose cities before anything else happens, so it’s important to do it sooner than later.

I believe the plan is to build hype leading all the way up to the opening game. The league needs to start the hype sooner than later.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

Joker wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:03 pm They need to choose cities before anything else happens, so it’s important to do it sooner than later.

I believe the plan is to build hype leading all the way up to the opening game. The league needs to start the hype sooner than later.
Agree. Get marketing started sooner than 6 months would be a good idea :D
Ready for the team reveals...again
Loogan
Kicker

Post by Loogan »

If you look on Twitter you'll see nothing by lobbying for teams from cities across the country. I wonder how the XFL will accept all this noise, or whether they will completely ignore it all and make their own decisions.

There are even petitions! It's hard to ignore that kind of feeback.
XFLFan_76
Linebacker

Post by XFLFan_76 »

My guess would be next fall, during the football season. However, I think this summer you will hear about the people responsible running the league. Will be interesting to see who is chosen.
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

Loogan wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:31 pm There are even petitions! It's hard to ignore that kind of feeback.
I think the XFL will ignore most of the so-called petitions unless there appears to be a mega-huge amount of signatures, then they might have to take a look. But there are other important factors other than signatures, such as the availability of a stadium.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
PostFootball
Kicker

Post by PostFootball »

I can say that it will be months. they will not reveal the cities piecemeal. they will announce all of them at once along with the venue, which i can say with fair certainty. This means they have a lot of negotiating to do before this is all finalized. I can say officials from a number of cities have already reached out to them and The have reached out to certain cities/venues as well.

I just also want to add that the league is really in infancy and is also still hiring personnel at the administrative and legal levels. They also are setting up meetings with expert on various subjects ranging from artistic and design to sales and marketing to broadcasting.

While us fans want to know as much about teams and cities as possible, we are talking about a very fluid and early stage situation. Keep in mind we are not even 60 days in from when Vince McMahon even decided he was going to try this again.