What the hell is this??

XFL Football discussion.
XFLGUY
Quarterback

What the hell is this??

Post by XFLGUY »

nationalgridiron.com

So anyone heard of the national gridiron league? Apparently it’s a thing and is billing itself as the minor league alternative to the NFL. That’s pretty much a direct quote from there FAQ page btw..

Also there regular season kicks off in March 2020 and there draft is in October. That leads to my question of what, if any, impact this league will have on our league?
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Re: What the hell is this??

Post by SamTheRam28 »

I've been loosely following the NGL because there will be a team in St. Louis. It's going to be an arena league. I doubt it has any effect on the XFL. It was supposed to kickoff last year, before it was pushed back a year. Who knows if it ever actually starts.
St. Louis BattleHawks
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Websites and press releases are cheap. Wait until the shovel is in the ground, so to speak, before getting worked up about this, Freedom, Pac Pro, etc.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:34 pm Websites and press releases are cheap. Wait until the shovel is in the ground, so to speak, before getting worked up about this, Freedom, Pac Pro, etc.
The Freedom Football League isn't happening. In fact, Marshawn Lynch stole one of the Freedom Football League teams, the Oakland Panthers and placed them in the Indoor Football League.

As for the sport of Arena Football itself, the sport is a joke, not because of the actual game, but because of the number of leagues. There are 6 leagues: AFL, IFL, NAL, AAL, CIF and AWFC and likely with at least two more coming in 2020, increasing the number to 8. This makes the sport a joke as there only needs to be two leagues at the most: one with Arena rules and one with indoor rules, which are different. Instead there are 8 leagues because of the fact that all of these leagues want to be the alpha male of the sport. The sport is a disgrace and an embarrassment to football because of all of these leagues.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I'm not following how a fractured landscape makes the sport a disgrace.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

It's semi pro sports. I feel like it's sort of like being mad at water for being wet.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:46 pm I'm not following how a fractured landscape makes the sport a disgrace.
Too many egos and the unwillingness of the leagues to work together or even merge. At most there should be two leagues, one arena and one indoor due to the different rules.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:49 pmAt most there should be two leagues, one arena and one indoor due to the different rules.
Why?
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

XFLGUY wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:41 pm nationalgridiron.com

So anyone heard of the national gridiron league? Apparently it’s a thing and is billing itself as the minor league alternative to the NFL. That’s pretty much a direct quote from there FAQ page btw..

Also there regular season kicks off in March 2020 and there draft is in October. That leads to my question of what, if any, impact this league will have on our league?
I'm pretty sure it's the same people that were behind the UNFL (name changed for obvious reasons), which propped up several years ago and was set to have Joe Cribbs as its first commissioner. This version, now sans 'National', has basically stolen the UFL logo and even has a team called the Virginia Destroyers. You can tell what kind of status they are when they claim to have signed Amari Spievey and pushed as him as a "major star" when he hasn't played an NFL regular season game since 2012.

So in other words, none (maybe less).
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

The fact that there have been so many half azz startups over the past couple decades aside from those that actually took the grid. And the aaf turned out to be half azz even though it played..... not completely though. People generally aren't believing the XFL could do any better. I don't understand what happened with arena..... They had their own developmental arm in Af2.....network tv..... good attendance figures in most markets that were solid like Arizona, Tampa Bay, San Jose et al. Didn't their players threaten to unionize and the league sought a new business plan and never came to an agreement so they strategically withdrew? Af2 actually played that season then the AFL assets were acquired and a merger/ Reformation took place. One thing that turned people off if it wasn't the game itself.... It was the constant instability of it's members in that I don't think you can find two consecutive seasons of the same lineup of teams. It did have it's moments. It's still around in case you care. With like six teams now up from four...... It's growing.
This XFL will be different..... Look at the great hirings they've done. They're listed as one of the top 25 startup companies to work for in America ..... That's saying something there. The images are great...... the rules will be interesting. Not another half azz venture looking to cash in on something...... This is real....... This is for you.......THIS. IS. THE. X. F. L!!!!!