Another Tier 1 QB Signed

XFL Football discussion.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Re: Another Tier 1 QB Signed

Post by LeoNY »

youngorst wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:46 pm
LeoNY wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:08 pm Brandon Silvers would be a quality starter in the league. I think people will feel differently about him once they see him play. I think the coaches are the ones giving the XFL the names of who they want as their starter. So if DC for example wants him and he ends up playing poorly. That’s just like any other team in sports that chooses the wrong player in either free agency or the draft. It’s their choice.
He is a fine quarterback but tier 1 players should draw casual fans to the league, Silvers won't do that.

Maybe it would make more sense to let teams sign ANY player (not just QBs) to a tier 1 deal. Let the teams decide if QB is the position they want to place that high dollar contract on.

Silvers may be a very good to great XFL QB but he simply isn't a "tier 1" talent based on what he has done as a professional QB. Tier 1 players should have made an NFL roster at least once.
The teams themselves might view Silvers as a tier one quarterback. That’s up to Joey Clinkscales, Randy Mueller, Daryl Johnston, Tony Softli and others to determine that.

I get the star cache element of it all but if STL’s braintrust wants Silvers. Then we can question it but that’s their football decision. Daryl Johnston chose Logan Woodside, Marquise Williams and Dustin Vaughan over Johnny Manziel in Texas. He obviously saw more value in his QB room than he did in someone with great name value and appeal like Manziel in Texas of all places.

Performance can create Stars. The same way Kurt Warner and other lesser known quarterbacks who didn’t have nfl resumes made themselves into stars.
steinerfhc
Quarterback

Post by steinerfhc »

youngorst wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:46 pm
LeoNY wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:08 pm Brandon Silvers would be a quality starter in the league. I think people will feel differently about him once they see him play. I think the coaches are the ones giving the XFL the names of who they want as their starter. So if DC for example wants him and he ends up playing poorly. That’s just like any other team in sports that chooses the wrong player in either free agency or the draft. It’s their choice.
He is a fine quarterback but tier 1 players should draw casual fans to the league, Silvers won't do that.

Maybe it would make more sense to let teams sign ANY player (not just QBs) to a tier 1 deal. Let the teams decide if QB is the position they want to place that high dollar contract on.

Silvers may be a very good to great XFL QB but he simply isn't a "tier 1" talent based on what he has done as a professional QB. Tier 1 players should have made an NFL roster at least once.
That not always the case because there is cases of a player of being overlooked, hell Kurt Warner story shown that. Being in the NFL doesn't always means something when you flat out fail and your run in the NFL showed you sucked. Example I take Silvers over lets say Matt Leinart. I get the whole tier 1 should be guys fans know. Which I said before if that was the case Hakeem Nicks is more of a Tier 1 than anybody. Being he is not only a Superbowl champion but was a starting WR.
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:14 pm Man, I hope not. I know he looked good in the AAF, but signing AAF guys to the Tier 1 contracts completely undermines the narrative of the XFL raising the bar for talent.

EDIT: I have not seen that anywhere else and I'd take most of the information peddled by these types of sites with a big grain of salt.
I don't think it does at all. The XFL may have a slightly higher average in terms of talent, certainly a higher floor, but it's unreasonable to expect that none of the top XFL players will have been AAF talent. Silvers was arguably the best QB in the league over the last three weeks and is one of the best passers in Sun Belt history. That's a good signing by the XFL.
St. Louis Battlehawks