NFL CUT TRACKER

XFL Football discussion.
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Re: NFL CUT TRACKER

Post by XFLInSTL »

LeoNY wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:29 pm
Sounder wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:55 pm Reciever Rashad Ross..... a standout in the AAF for the Hotshots, where he was seen by a few people.....cut by the Panthers
Derron Smith. The safety for the Commanders was also cut. Charles Johnson, The Apollos receiver is injured and sounds like he will be released by The Eagles with an injury settlement.
Damn we're getting all the best AAF players here. Don't understand how Ross got cut though.
St. Louis Battlehawks
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:55 pm
LeoNY wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:49 pm Paxton Lynch is officially released by The Seahawks. The question now is, If Lynch clears waivers, Does he land on Seattle or another teams practice squad or will Lynch entertain the XFL’s overtures?
Does he even have practice squad eligibility left? (Serious question.) He's had three years on an active roster at this point. Besides, as high as he was drafted, he might find it beneath him.
I believe that Lynch still does have PS eligibility. As does Cardale Jones. Although I think Jones is going to make the Chargers. NFL tweaked this rule a couple of years ago. I believe teams are allowed 4 players on their ps who have 3 years of active time on a active roster.

Beneath him is not the right term. Lynch might decide that he won’t get better unless he gets a chance to play. Staying with Seattle is not a bad play. Gob forbid but if Russell were to get hurt. Lynch would move back up the main roster. Lynch would have to still wait his turn but he’d be one step closer to starting.

Even if Lynch clears waivers and lands on Seattle’s PS. No guarantee that he stays there for the entire season. You can be cut at any point. By the same token and on the flip side. A team could sign you off the practice squad. It’s not going to be for a starting job though. Lynch is at best a backup at this point. Does he want to be a starter and become a better quarterback?
Xtremedb3
Running Back

Post by Xtremedb3 »

youngorst wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:47 pm
LeoNY wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:32 pm It’s not going to be for a starting job though. Lynch is at best a backup at this point. Does he want to be a starter and become a better quarterback?
People are fooling themselves if they think any football player would choose starting in the XFL over being a backup in the NFL.

They will all always choose the NFL job.
I think you may be underselling the XFL... They are willing to up to 600k for top talent which is more than PS + a starting spot with national TV time.

Lynch is the type of qb they are looking for.. 3 years in who needs more than practice squad reps.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

youngorst wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:47 pm
LeoNY wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:32 pm It’s not going to be for a starting job though. Lynch is at best a backup at this point. Does he want to be a starter and become a better quarterback?
People are fooling themselves if they think any football player would choose starting in the XFL over being a backup in the NFL.

They will all always choose the NFL job.
Landry Jones has made that decision. It appears that he has closed the door on being a backup in the NFL this season. A possibility that exists for him throughout the entire NFL season.

NFL job 10 times out of 10. Practice squad for a rookie. 10 times out of 10. Practice squad for a third or 4th year player on his last year of eligibility. 9.9 times out of 10. We are going to find out for sure by October. The players that get drafted and signed to a contract are in fact passing on the possibility of playing in the NFL this season or signing a futures contract in January.

I can tell you this about Lynch. The likelihood of him being given an entire offense to run or be the starter for an NFL team is closing. If it hasn’t closed already. He’s not going to get better by never playing.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

youngorst wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:56 pm
LeoNY wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:48 pm Landry Jones has made that decision. It appears that he has closed the door on being a backup in the NFL this season. A possibility that exists for him throughout the entire NFL season.

NFL job 10 times out of 10. Practice squad for a rookie. 10 times out of 10. Practice squad for a third or 4th year player on his last year of eligibility. 9.9 times out of 10. We are going to find out for sure by October. The players that get drafted and signed to a contract are in fact passing on the possibility of playing in the NFL this season or signing a futures contract in January.

I can tell you this about Lynch. The likelihood of him being given an entire offense to run or be the starter for an NFL team is closing. If it hasn’t closed already. He’s not going to get better by never playing.
Landry Jones wasn't gonna get an NFL contract. He isn't closing the door on anything because where were his NFL offers?

Landry got cut prior to 2018 NFL season, got a job with the Jaguars for 3 weeks, got cut again, Raiders signed him in March and cut him less than 2 months later.

Jones didn't choose the XFL over the NFL, the NFL moved on from Jones and the XFL is benefitting. If Jones thought he might get back into the NFL in 2019 he'd still be a free agent right now.

Lynch probably will never be more than an NFL backup, I agree but until that door (being a backup) is 100% closed (and I don't think it is yet) I seriously doubt he is signing with the XFL.
Jones worked out for the Lions just days before signing his XFL contract. By committing to the XFL. He is closing the door on any potential NFL job opportunities this season.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

youngorst wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:17 am
LeoNY wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:09 am Jones worked out for the Lions just days before signing his XFL contract. By committing to the XFL. He is closing the door on any potential NFL job opportunities this season.
I understand he is "closing the door on the NFL this season"

I am not disputing that. I am disputing that he had NFL opportunities. Did the Lions offer him a contract? I bet he would have taken it if they did.

Sounds more like the Lions workout was his last hope and they said nope.

Maybe you are right that like last year he might have gotten a call at some point but the fact that he couldn't even survive on a 90 man roster anymore strongly suggests the NFL was done with him.
I can tell you that The Colts reached out to Landry’s agent this week. They worked out several other veteran quarterbacks like Brock Osweiler and Brandon Weeden.

I don’t know if Landry’s XFL contract is iron clad yet. I don’t have access to the contract or the particular language in it. I do know that once the draft/allocations happen. That the players are locked in. That may be the case right now with Jones but I haven’t confirmed that yet. Since he is under XFL contract. It would appear to be the case.

I agree with your overall premise. It’s going to be very rare but there might be a few players like Landry Jones, who opt for the XFL just for the guarantee of actually playing and starting. Landry does have earning potential depending on his success, that could make him very good money in the XFL. Not counting any potential endorsements but like Tommy Maddox nearly twenty years ago. The bonus system helped Maddox nearly double his salary.

Tommy Maddox made 60,000 dollars on his base salary. It was 5,000 dollars per game. He played 12 games counting the playoffs.

The win bonus system netted him an extra $17,500 per regular season win. (7 wins total)

The playoff victory netted him $7,500 and the championship game was $25,000. So Maddox ended up making an extra 50 grand. Not bad. 110 grand made in one season.

Maddox ended up playing 5 seasons in the NFL as a result of his resurrection in the XFL. Which obviously earned him a lot more money.
Regular Joe
Quarterback

Post by Regular Joe »

Alot of this has to do with the players CBA & value to a team too. Somebody like Landry Jones with X amount of years has to make a minimum based on what the union negotiated. If Jones is going to be a 2nd or 3rd string behind Phillip Rivers, some QB that's never gonna miss a game, why pay him over a million per season that a more then capable rookie or 2nd year guy can do for a third the price. Some of the guys you will see in the XFL will just be guys caught in a numbers crunch.
free dj mix download. all punk & hardcore. party tape. more cuss words then any hip hop mixtape. https://soundcloud.com/some-guy-2492895 Click on 'More' and download. dont forget both sides.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

One of the other things someone's going to have to consider: practice squad and XFL do not necessarily have to be mutually exclusive. With practice rules in the NFL being so stringent (I can't remember, maybe no more than two full-contact practices a week?), they will be fresh and in shape but not beat-up come February—plus, practice squad contracts expire at the end of the season, December 30. I wonder if the XFL will have some sort of "futures contract" set up for this scenario that formally kicks in December 30 after the PS expires.

So this idea of "choosing between practice squad and the XFL" is, for the most part, a false dilemma.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:49 am One of the other things someone's going to have to consider: practice squad and XFL do not necessarily have to be mutually exclusive. With practice rules in the NFL being so stringent (I can't remember, maybe no more than two full-contact practices a week?), they will be fresh and in shape but not beat-up come February—plus, practice squad contracts expire at the end of the season, December 30. I wonder if the XFL will have some sort of "futures contract" set up for this scenario that formally kicks in December 30 after the PS expires.

So this idea of "choosing between practice squad and the XFL" is, for the most part, a false dilemma.
Team minicamps are supposed to be in December though. Not having your starting QB for that is not good at all.
Ready for the team reveals...again
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

XFL_FAN wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:50 am Team minicamps are supposed to be in December though. Not having your starting QB for that is not good at all.
I don't think most of the XFL's starting quarterbacks are going to be from practice squads.