Shawn Oakman has received an invite to The XFL Draft

XFL Football discussion.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Shawn Oakman has received an invite to The XFL Draft

Post by LeoNY »

https://twitter.com/MMXFLBoard/status/1 ... 99745?s=20

Mike Mitchell @MMXFLBoard just reported this on Twitter. Shawn Oakman has received a draft invite from The XFL.

I read the article from Greg Parks, Mitchell and Jackson on their ideal XFL players. They each picked two. Mitchell picked Oakman. This one might be controversial because of his background. I like that he is getting a chance to play pro football but there could be some backlash.
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Re: Shawn Oakman has received an invite to The XFL Draft

Post by XFLInSTL »

Sweet.
St. Louis Battlehawks
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Not much that I can add to this, that I didn’t already write about in my joint xfl player article with Greg Parks and Jackson Conner.

Shawn Oakman has been working super hard for this type of opportunity. He received invite a while ago. I just needed confirmation before going live with it. There are a lot of players that have yet to publicize their draft invites.

You can figure that any “big names” that you haven’t seen thus far announce it publicly, that they have already received their invites to the draft pool. Especially the name players that were involved in the showcases. It’s just a matter of the player, their agent, the league or someone else making it public.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

He would look nice in an LA Cats uniform 8-)
Ready for the team reveals...again
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

XFL_FAN wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:30 am He would look nice in an LA Cats uniform 8-)
He would. It’s a matter of how XFL teams see him. Is Oakman at nearly 300 pounds. Is he a 3-4 DE or a 4-3 DT.

LA is most likely going to play a 3-4 defense with Moss and Pepper at the helm.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

He was listed at 290 playing in the AAL, so 3-4 DE seems to be it kind of in the Calais Campbell (when he was in Arizona) mold with his height. In fact that would seem to sort of preclude him from playing the nose in either a 3-4 or a 4-3 as the average for those guys seems to be 6-3.

It is possible he could put on 10-20 pounds and play the nose in a 3-4, Brandon Mebane did for the Chargers for a year (before they hired Gus Bradley and went back to a 4-3) in addition to a bevy of nose tackles in the 300-310 range (Suh, Javon Hargrave, Brandon Dunn--listed as DJ Reader's backup in Houston, Shelby Harris). An improvement from Ted Washington, who was one of the best in the league yes and the prototype for 90s/2000s nose tackles, but also looked like a heart attack in waiting at times.

I always thought the two guys that could be a 3-4 nose despite being slightly undersized for it were Tez (RIP) then and Aaron Donald now. J.J. Watt and Jurrell Casey are two more guys that often line up at nose tackle, depends on matchup.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Oakman’s agency/Pr firm has acknowledged the draft invite. Like some XFL stories. This might take awhile before it lands on the football mainstreams radar. Oakman is a fairly popular name in football circles.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

LeoNY wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:54 am Oakman’s agency/Pr firm has acknowledged the draft invite. Like some XFL stories. This might take awhile before it lands on the football mainstreams radar. Oakman is a fairly popular name in football circles.
Not only have they acknowledged the invite but Shawn Oakman has formally accepted the invite. He did that earlier this week. His Pr firm Black Diamond announced in this press release today.

https://www.prlog.org/12786762-shawn-oa ... draft.html