"Safe" Team names

XFL Football discussion.
Regular Joe
Quarterback

"Safe" Team names

Post by Regular Joe »

Through all the UFL, WLAF, USFL, XFLs, ect...through history, and now with the XFL going with 'safe' team names, or just various team names in general, how come nobody has chosen a number or color team name? Has somebody? The Denver Gold is the closest I can think of. But there's no other "49ers" s safe cool name.

If a team was in an area relative to say Amelia Airhesrt, she had some type of female pilot group called the 99ers...that could be a good name for a team. Are there any teams (76ers) in football other then San Francisco to try it?
free dj mix download. all punk & hardcore. party tape. more cuss words then any hip hop mixtape. https://soundcloud.com/some-guy-2492895 Click on 'More' and download. dont forget both sides.
Firecop
Coach

Re: "Safe" Team names

Post by Firecop »

MLB AAA Las Vegas 51s come to mind.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

There are teams named after colors now like Syracuse or The Reds. The Blues are a color name but they signify more than just the color itself. In the case of the Denver Gold. It’s more about the actual object than the color itself. For a team to be named specifically after a color. It has to have a real strong significance to the region. It’s a pretty limiting name chance. The Portland Purple. The Orlando Teal. I suppose you could name a team the Silvers. If you are trying to tie in actual silver into the branding.

A lot of teams adopt a color as their team nickname like Big Blue or Gang Green.

As for number based teams. Same principle. The number would need to have real strong significance. The 49ers and 76ers have historical significance. They work because of that and their meaning to their region. You could name a team after an area code, I suppose but it’s just not the same.
Regular Joe
Quarterback

Post by Regular Joe »

LeoNY wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:30 am There are teams named after colors now like Syracuse or The Reds. The Blues are a color name but they signify more than just the color itself. In the case of the Denver Gold. It’s more about the actual object than the color itself. For a team to be named specifically after a color. It has to have a real strong significance to the region. It’s a pretty limiting name chance. The Portland Purple. The Orlando Teal. I suppose you could name a team the Silvers. If you are trying to tie in actual silver into the branding.

A lot of teams adopt a color as their team nickname like Big Blue or Gang Green.

As for number based teams. Same principle. The number would need to have real strong significance. The 49ers and 76ers have historical significance. They work because of that and their meaning to their region. You could name a team after an area code, I suppose but it’s just not the same.
Wasn't the NAFL (what was the NAFL!?) Silverbacks a team? But never became a team. Or was that the A11FL?

The 808s or 619ers has potential..
free dj mix download. all punk & hardcore. party tape. more cuss words then any hip hop mixtape. https://soundcloud.com/some-guy-2492895 Click on 'More' and download. dont forget both sides.