Social Media

XFL Football discussion.
XFLGUY
Quarterback

Social Media

Post by XFLGUY »

It seems like the names have been getting trashed and made fun of in every article or videoclip I see but it really feels like people were just going to trash it no matter what because that’s just how things are nowadays. Those idiots weren’t going to like anything that was said so to hell with them, let’s play ball!🏈
XFL_FAN
Coach

Re: Social Media

Post by XFL_FAN »

XFLGUY wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:25 pm It seems like the names have been getting trashed and made fun of in every article or videoclip I see but it really feels like people were just going to trash it no matter what because that’s just how things are nowadays. Those idiots weren’t going to like anything that was said so to hell with them, let’s play ball!🏈
True. They were gonna hate on the names no matter what. I'm ready for Saturday so I can get some Cats merch though! Like Oliver Luck said,"2020 can't come soon enough!"
Ready for the team reveals...again
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

XFLGUY wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:25 pm It seems like the names have been getting trashed and made fun of in every article or videoclip I see but it really feels like people were just going to trash it no matter what because that’s just how things are nowadays. Those idiots weren’t going to like anything that was said so to hell with them, let’s play ball!🏈
You could see this coming from a mile away. As Greg Parks stated yesterday on this board. The league is going to be treated negatively until they prove themselves on the field. I get that and agree with it but there are people out there that were going to hate and goof on the names no matter what they were.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Ignore the noise

(Or in twitterspeak: #ignorethenoise)

When the face of XFL-bashing is some bot called Did The XFL Fold Yet, who basically spends his day talking to himself and retweeting his own tweets you know you've just got to soldier on
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

That's why we're on a message board. Twitter has its uses, but conversation isn't one of them.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

The people working in the XFL need to have thick skin. Gear up because you are going to get a lot of this. Hopefully it motivates them to put out the best possible product on the field. People expect this league to fail and are dismissive of it and treat it like a laughing stock. They think original XFL and saw what just happened with the AAF. A league that couldn’t even finish out one season. So the running joke is that the XFL won’t even finish their season.

I expected negativity before the names were released. Some criticisms are valid because there’s a lot of subjectivity when it comes to colors, logos and names. Some of the haters however are just lost.

People are making YouTube videos just to say that the XFL is officially a failure and dead due to the names. I have seen some newscasts and websites where people dissect and openly mock the names. One hack said that the LA Wildcats name was a working title like all things in Hollywood and that it will be changed. I see people out there not knowing what a Roughneck is. They can’t understand the concept of what a guardian is. It’s laughable and predictable. A bunch of lazy takes from misinformed people who are just hating for the sake of it.
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

I love the forum here at XFLBoard. It’s friendly and positive. Pretty much everybody is a fan. I was a part of the original XFLBoard and it’s turning out the same as before. I like it.

Twitter is a wasteland of negativity and fake news. It might be good for lurking but I don’t discuss anything there.

I’m mostly a lurker anyways. This is my place. When I come out and post something here, people don’t react with daggers.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

I wrote this on reddit about Deadspin's hit piece, but I think it applies here, too.
Most major sports team logos wouldn't hold up to the standard people are applying to the XFL logos. They're just use to them so they don't question them. The Packers logo is just a damn "G". People like it because of the history behind it and the nostalgia it evokes. How is a start up league supposed to pull that off?

There are some aspects about these logos/names you can pick apart but it's all so subjective. Anyone that is really *that* up in arms about these brands are just looking for something to complain about. Which pretty much sums up Deadspin's attitude toward the XFL.
Sums up Twitter as well.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
XFLGUY
Quarterback

Post by XFLGUY »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:37 am I wrote this on reddit about Deadspin's hit piece, but I think it applies here, too.
Most major sports team logos wouldn't hold up to the standard people are applying to the XFL logos. They're just use to them so they don't question them. The Packers logo is just a damn "G". People like it because of the history behind it and the nostalgia it evokes. How is a start up league supposed to pull that off?

There are some aspects about these logos/names you can pick apart but it's all so subjective. Anyone that is really *that* up in arms about these brands are just looking for something to complain about. Which pretty much sums up Deadspin's attitude toward the XFL.
Sums up Twitter as well.
Sums up social media in general. The only time there is overall happiness is when there is collective bitching and hatred about someone or something.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:37 am I wrote this on reddit about Deadspin's hit piece, but I think it applies here, too.

Sums up Twitter as well.
Good post. The people who already looked down on the XFL were never going to go in with an open and objective mind about the names. No matter what the names ended up being. There’s absolutely nothing to gripe about with the XFL names overall. You can critique them based on preference but to paint them as embarrassing or despicable or trash is so off base.

The funny thing is the level of disappointment in some that the XFL didn’t go the silly or absurd route. It’s like they expected all 8 teams to have “crazy” names. BattleHawks is being embraced for its uniqueness by some while more traditional and respectful names like the Wildcats are being blasted for being too plain. I get the genuine like for the BattleHawks. It’s not what I would name a team but it can have it’s own unique appeal to it.
Overall I think that the XFL did a solid job with their team identities. I am not surprised that certain people don’t see that. They weren’t going to anyway.