Final Name Predictions

XFL Football discussion.
XFLGUY
Quarterback

Final Name Predictions

Post by XFLGUY »

Here it is. Put it out there, lay it all on the line. What are your final predictions for the 8 team names?

Dallas Vipers
Seattle Dragons
Washington Defenders
St. Louis Stallions
Tampa Bay Bolts
New York Gargoyles
L.A. Stars
Houston Roughnecks
XFL_FAN
Coach

Re: Final Name Predictions

Post by XFL_FAN »

DC Defenders
New York Gothams
St. Louis Guardians
Tampa Bay Crocodiles (Nicknamed "crocs" lol :lol: )

Seattle Dragons
Dallas Sparks
Houston Vipers
LA Archangels
Ready for the team reveals...again
Jerseyknight458
Kicker

Post by Jerseyknight458 »

Dallas Thunder
Houston Bandits
Los Angeles Vipers
New York Guardians
St.Louis Aviators
Seattle Dragons
Tampa Bay Torpedoes
Washington Regiment
XFLGUY
Quarterback

Post by XFLGUY »

I like the torpedos, aviators, and regiment. Those would be great.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Main prediction is that the names are going to be universally trashed. It’s going to be very difficult to please everyone. Most people have a negative perception of the XFL, Vince McMahon and wrestling in general. So even if the names are perfectly fine or acceptable. People are going to hate just for the sake of hating. There will be legit gripes or preferences by even the league’s best supporters but I have a feeling that the response won’t be positive overall.

New York Gothams
DC Defenders
Tampa Bay Vipers
St. Louis Thunderbirds

Los Angles Predators
Seattle Dragons
Houston Forge
Dallas Riders
Last edited by LeoNY on Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Dallas Vipers: My original Dallas team name in my sim, I get the concerns but my only one is not in STL since it'd just be seen as a Randy Orton (STL native) reference.

Washington Command: Speaking of references, how about a little nod to the Washington Commandos of the original AFL (Arena)? Besides, the military theme's gonna be there with Annapolis not far away. I didn't like Commanders as much for SA (the blog was 210 Command, should have stayed with that)

St Louis Stallions: References the would-have-been NFL expansion team as well as what Baltimore ended up as in the CFL two years later (not really going for SL so much).

Tampa Bay Sharks: Being lazy and going with my sim team name. An undersold point, similar to STL, this cannot be anything in any way related to Wrestlemania next year or else you risk major undoing of the product. Besides, the JAX Sharks just won the NAL bowl, they might be the only pro football team in FL winning a title in the near future.

Seattle Dragons: I wouldn't have considered this even a month ago, but DRAGON ENERGY BABY!!!!!!!!! Also a nod to Bruce Lee, who went to UW (FU Tarantino)

New York Empire: Sure the chances of this are following Slim down the road, but why not? Much like the Sharks, the Albany Empire just won the ArenaBowl, and might be the last time a NY/NJ wins a title for a while.

Houston Roughnecks: June Jones coached for the Ottawa Rough Riders way back when, so there's a tie in there. I think the name would be appreciated. Maybe a little too Rockets-y alliteration-wise, we'll get over it.

Los Angeles Stars: Eh, maybe too easy and I'd personally keep Xtreme for obvious reasons. But I'd rather go the safe route here and incorporate the team history as we go. LA Stars was a team in both the original ABA (Anaheim Amigos) and revival version, and it's just a natural fit.

I put odds of these being the names in the ballpark of Jeff Brohm resigning from Purdue tomorrow and taking a job as coach of the ninth team, which becomes a barnstorming team and claiming to be the real champion (although that's a good what-if. If Brohm doesn't get hurt do we get a LA/O-town rematch in the MDG?). Of course in that case............
XFLSTLOUIS
Receiver

Post by XFLSTLOUIS »

Based on the video preview, a guess would be:
Dallas Nighthawks
Houston Roughnecks
Los Angeles Renegades
New York Guardians
St. Louis Aviators
Seattle Dragons
Tampa Bay Vipers
Washington Defenders
XFLGUY
Quarterback

Post by XFLGUY »

Nighthawks would be a great name. I was a fan of the Omaha Nighthawks from the UFL days.
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

XFLSTLOUIS wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:29 pm Based on the video preview, a guess would be:
Dallas Nighthawks
Houston Roughnecks
Los Angeles Renegades
New York Guardians
St. Louis Aviators
Seattle Dragons
Tampa Bay Vipers
Washington Defenders
I think you're pretty close. Nighthawks would be awesome. I think Houston will be the Roughnecks or Drillers. Guardians is a good guess for NY. Aviators or Sounders is a good guess for STL. Dragons or Kraken for Seattle. Vipers for Tampa and Defenders for DC. I would like a lot of those names.
St. Louis BattleHawks
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

XFLGUY wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:26 pm Nighthawks would be a great name. I was a fan of the Omaha Nighthawks from the UFL days.

New York Nighthawks, after the movie Nighthawks and the recently deceased Rutger Hauer (not my fav RH film, always be Wanted Dead or Alive, but always something about Sly running down the street in the censored TV version yelling YOU'RE FREAKIN DEAD!!!!!!!!!!! :D )

Unfortunately, the Streets (NAL) were a FREAKIN disaster. True like less than .1% of NY even knew about them but they also made enough headlines for all the wrong reasons (like the Carolina Cobras getting robbed during their game as well as a literal 50-yard field--complete with crammed-in endzones) that we won't, nor shouldn't, be doing 'street' names for a while