Landry Jones signs with XFL; terms not disclosed

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Landry Jones signs with XFL; terms not disclosed

Post by MikeMitchell »

Shooter McGav1n wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:41 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:55 pm
LeoNY wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:42 pm This is getting a lot of play online right now from all NFL news sources.

It will be interesting to see if the terms of the deal ever get released. Was the pot sweetened to get Landry on board now. With him getting sniffs from NFL teams recently.

What will also be interesting is how the XFL creatively puts Landry Jones up in Dallas with Bob Stoops, Hal Mumme and Daryl Moose Johnston.
During Oliver Luck’s interview with Cowherd today. Which I gotta go back and listen to again. He was asked about quarterback pay in the XFL and Oliver did not give out a specific number. It would not shock me in the slightest if Landry Jones is getting a bit more than what the league has initially earmarked for their top tier quarterbacks. The XFL average for their head coaches is supposed to be 500k per year but would anyone be shocked if Stoops is getting paid more than that.

By the way Bob Stoops posted on Twitter about Landry Jones a little while ago. Touting that Landry Jones is #3 all time in passing yards in NCAA history.

Talk about tipping your hat. There’s no way Landry won’t be playing in Dallas.

https://twitter.com/CoachBobStoops/stat ... 86466?s=20
I recall someone giving me a hard time a few months ago when I tweeted about the XFL finding a way for Manziel and Jones to play in Houston and Dallas respectively. 🙂
You got me Shooter. I am assuming that this in relation to me. You were right about your suggestion. I took what was the company line at the time and part of me is still against this. I prefer a wide open draft but I get why the league is doing this. It's only for 8 players. Each team gets one. So a full league wide allocation/territorial draft is not happening. At least, I hope not. That's not a fair league if that happens.

At the time of The Texas showcases, where this possibility was brought up by you and others. The XFL and Oliver Luck himself made strong statements against any type of player allocation. More specifically any type of territorial designations. On the This is The XFL show at the LA Showcase. Oliver Luck made real some strong statements against it. By the time, we got to the Seattle showcase. I posted a report on here of the top tier player distribution plan. The league didn't like the term allocation and reached out to state that no firm decisions were being made yet on what the league planned to do with their eight top tier quarterbacks.

Since Seattle and now. Things are slightly more clear. As we speculated together here on the board. It makes sense from a business standpoint that if any of the players are to be allocated throughout whatever process, the league wants to call it. That it made sense for the top tier quarterbacks and teams to have a say in that process. I think that this is really more about Bob Stoops and ensuring that he gets Landry more than anything else. That may very well happen now with all 7 of the other head coach/gm's. It could be a case where each team gets their pick in requesting that the league sign a particular player. Hopefully there is some type of balance in that.

If you are going to make this exception. As I have stated before. The exception should be for who you feel will be the league's 8 best and most important players. There has to be some level of balance and the teams need a say in the process. The competitive standpoint is a tricky one. Even if you are showing favoritism to an extent, give every team a shot to hand pick someone. The other side is that the player has to agree to it. So let's pretend that Jon Hayes wants Jeff Driskel. Driskel has to want to play for Hayes and no one else. Which seems to be the case with Landry Jones.

Kudos to you by the way. I have pointed you out on this board in the past for your work on social media repping the league and putting people who are not in the know, in check. The community is growing but it's important we support each other because trust me, the league will have plenty of naysayers and enemies. I have seen many of your social media battles defending the league online.

Ultimately what XFL Board has always been about is discussions and sometimes disagreements. We should have plenty of those. Wait till the team names and rules come out. Back in 01, this was a war zone. We were all supporters of the league back then but we were critical of the league and each other. What makes a place like this cool is the group posting here now is the true die hards. Like XFL Fan, Andibald, Greg Parks, Tank, GDawg, XFLinSTL, yourself, so many others and even.....the poster.....Sounder...…. . I enjoy his posts.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

I guess for Bridgewater......being backup for an aging icon on a team as good as the Saints...... isn't such a bad gig.
XFLGUY
Quarterback

Post by XFLGUY »

I think Ryan Mallett would be in there as well
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Shooter McGav1n wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:39 pm
LeoNY wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:50 pm

I recall someone giving me a hard time a few months ago when I tweeted about the XFL finding a way for Manziel and Jones to play in Houston and Dallas respectively. 🙂
You got my tweet in there with you. I am 2020Hindsight. I didn’t think that the league would have allocations because the commissioner said there wouldn’t be.

You were right and it makes sense to do it for the top tier players.
Yeah I remember, I just felt that it made too much sense for them not to do it.
Also, it’s good to be able to place the twitter name with your name on here, I feel like we spend a lot of time arguing with the same knuckleheads on Twitter.
I listened to Oliver Luck on the Herd. He says that they haven’t figured out yet how the league’s eight signings will be distributed. Cowherd specifically asked Oliver What if another coach wants Landry?

We have to assume that Landry is Dallas bound by hook or by crook but Oliver made it sound like the teams schemes and what they are looking for, will determine it. We shall see if there is a top tier draft or not, or some type of allocation.

The eight signings and distributions are supposed to happen before the big league wide draft/drafts in October. According to Oliver Luck. So we will find out soon enough.
Shooter McGav1n
Receiver

Post by Shooter McGav1n »

LeoNY wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:02 pm
LeoNY wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:50 pm

You got my tweet in there with you. I am 2020Hindsight. I didn’t think that the league would have allocations because the commissioner said there wouldn’t be.

You were right and it makes sense to do it for the top tier players.
Also, it’s good to be able to place the twitter name with your name on here, I feel like we spend a lot of time arguing with the same knuckleheads on Twitter.
I listened to Oliver Luck on the Herd. He says that they haven’t figured out yet how the league’s eight signings will be distributed. Cowherd specifically asked Oliver What if another coach wants Landry?

We have to assume that Landry is Dallas bound by hook or by crook but Oliver made it sound like the teams schemes and what they are looking for, will determine it. We shall see if there is a top tier draft or not, or some type of allocation.

The eight signings and distributions are supposed to happen before the big league wide draft/drafts in October. According to Oliver Luck. So we will find out soon enough.
I check out so much content, that’s it hard to remember where I read or hear things sometimes. I remember an interview with Landry where he talked about trying out for the XFL and said something to the affect that he got a call from Coach Stoops asking if he wanted to play some football. A lot of people, myself included have assumed he find his way to Dallas, but that was kind of an affirmation to me.
I don’t know how they’ll do it, but my assumption is the league and teams will get together, some coaches will have their qb based on relations and history (Stoops/Jones) and the others will be sorted out according to who they think will fit best with each teams system and location.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Shooter McGav1n wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:14 pm

I check out so much content, that’s it hard to remember where I read or hear things sometimes. I remember an interview with Landry where he talked about trying out for the XFL and said something to the affect that he got a call from Coach Stoops asking if he wanted to play some football. A lot of people, myself included have assumed he find his way to Dallas, but that was kind of an affirmation to me.
I don’t know how they’ll do it, but my assumption is the league and teams will get together, some coaches will have their qb based on relations and history (Stoops/Jones) and the others will be sorted out according to who they think will fit best with each teams system and location.
I check out a lot of content too. It sounded like Marc Trestman played a hand in getting Ryan Mallett to agree to work out in Tampa. Trestman coached Mallett in Baltimore. I think I posted a full video in the discussion area here on the site for Tampa. Mallett also mentions Trestman being the factor in working out. I do think that coaches and team execs personally reached out to players and pulled some strings for the showcase process.
Shooter McGav1n
Receiver

LeoNY wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:26 pm
Shooter McGav1n wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:14 pm

I check out a lot of content too. It sounded like Marc Trestman played a hand in getting Ryan Mallett to agree to work out in Tampa. Trestman coached Mallett in Baltimore. I think I posted a full video in the discussion area here on the site for Tampa. Mallett also mentions Trestman being the factor in working out. I do think that coaches and team execs personally reached out to players and pulled some strings for the showcase process.
In a league where every team is starting from scratch, getting a qb who’s familiar and has a few years of experience in your system will be a big advantage. I think Mallett and TB are a pretty good bet, and Mallett May end up being the second player signed to a contract.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

If Paxton Lynch keeps playing like he did in the first pre-season game he will be backing up Russell Wilson. Guess that would leave both Geno Smith and JT Barrett potentially available.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

@GregParks (or anyone else) -- do you have an opinion on Caylin Newton's NFL/XFL potential? Pep Hamilton is obviously pretty plugged into Howard football.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Shooter McGav1n
Receiver

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:43 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:55 pm

During Oliver Luck’s interview with Cowherd today. Which I gotta go back and listen to again. He was asked about quarterback pay in the XFL and Oliver did not give out a specific number. It would not shock me in the slightest if Landry Jones is getting a bit more than what the league has initially earmarked for their top tier quarterbacks. The XFL average for their head coaches is supposed to be 500k per year but would anyone be shocked if Stoops is getting paid more than that.

By the way Bob Stoops posted on Twitter about Landry Jones a little while ago. Touting that Landry Jones is #3 all time in passing yards in NCAA history.

Talk about tipping your hat. There’s no way Landry won’t be playing in Dallas.

https://twitter.com/CoachBobStoops/stat ... 86466?s=20
You got me Shooter. I am assuming that this in relation to me. You were right about your suggestion. I took what was the company line at the time and part of me is still against this. I prefer a wide open draft but I get why the league is doing this. It's only for 8 players. Each team gets one. So a full league wide allocation/territorial draft is not happening. At least, I hope not. That's not a fair league if that happens.

At the time of The Texas showcases, where this possibility was brought up by you and others. The XFL and Oliver Luck himself made strong statements against any type of player allocation. More specifically any type of territorial designations. On the This is The XFL show at the LA Showcase. Oliver Luck made real some strong statements against it. By the time, we got to the Seattle showcase. I posted a report on here of the top tier player distribution plan. The league didn't like the term allocation and reached out to state that no firm decisions were being made yet on what the league planned to do with their eight top tier quarterbacks.

Since Seattle and now. Things are slightly more clear. As we speculated together here on the board. It makes sense from a business standpoint that if any of the players are to be allocated throughout whatever process, the league wants to call it. That it made sense for the top tier quarterbacks and teams to have a say in that process. I think that this is really more about Bob Stoops and ensuring that he gets Landry more than anything else. That may very well happen now with all 7 of the other head coach/gm's. It could be a case where each team gets their pick in requesting that the league sign a particular player. Hopefully there is some type of balance in that.

If you are going to make this exception. As I have stated before. The exception should be for who you feel will be the league's 8 best and most important players. There has to be some level of balance and the teams need a say in the process. The competitive standpoint is a tricky one. Even if you are showing favoritism to an extent, give every team a shot to hand pick someone. The other side is that the player has to agree to it. So let's pretend that Jon Hayes wants Jeff Driskel. Driskel has to want to play for Hayes and no one else. Which seems to be the case with Landry Jones.

Kudos to you by the way. I have pointed you out on this board in the past for your work on social media repping the league and putting people who are not in the know, in check. The community is growing but it's important we support each other because trust me, the league will have plenty of naysayers and enemies. I have seen many of your social media battles defending the league online.

Ultimately what XFL Board has always been about is discussions and sometimes disagreements. We should have plenty of those. Wait till the team names and rules come out. Back in 01, this was a war zone. We were all supporters of the league back then but we were critical of the league and each other. What makes a place like this cool is the group posting here now is the true die hards. Like XFL Fan, Andibald, Greg Parks, Tank, GDawg, XFLinSTL, yourself, so many others and even.....the poster.....Sounder...…. . I enjoy his posts.
I was just giving you a hard time, because I’ve made a few predictions and typically you shoot them down with your darned facts and insider info. It felt nice to slip one by the goalie for a change, although that’s making the assumption that Jones does end up on Dallas.