Team names

XFL Football discussion.
jcestl
Running Back

Re: Team names

Post by jcestl »

youngorst wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:36 pm
jcestl wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:01 pm

If the NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB all started today, would their names be seen as generic, especially teams from 1990 onward: Sharks, Senators, Lightning, Panthers(2), Jaguars, Ravens, Grizzlies, Raptors, Dbacks, Rays, Predators, Thrashers, Texans, Bobcats, Golden Knights? (since the NFL recognizes Ravens as an expansion team for historical purposes they're included)
I'd agree that half those team names are "generic". I like a few, dislike most...not that that matters to anyone but me.
My point is still valid however....Wildcats is the poster child of overused and generic team names. See the Simpson's clip previously posted. All that "creativity" in LA and they came up with Wildcats? Just WOW!
[/quote]

The Los Angeles Wildcats is not generic. It is a historically defendable name. The first pro team to "represent" Los Angeles (even though it was based in Chicago and was a traveling team) was the LA Wildcats.

If you don't understand why LA Wildcats is a very solid choice you should look into football history some more.
[/quote]

Not from LA and I'll admit I wasn't familiar with that. If they like it...that's fine.
I just used it as a joke....like..."what's the most generic overused mane of all time.....?"
I guess St Louis should have been the Gunners then............or maybe not ;)
jcestl
Running Back

Post by jcestl »

ugh...proofread
*name
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

jcestl wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:10 pm I guess St Louis should have been the Gunners then............or maybe not ;)
That would've been cool. Not sure if anyone owns that name anymore.

But there is definitely a sense of trying to tie into market history, which is definitely a sign they care about their local markets and aren't just trying to impose this top-down brand like they did in '01.