Team names

XFL Football discussion.
jcestl
Running Back

Re: Team names

Post by jcestl »

GoDogs wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:48 am
jcestl wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:19 pm
XFLGUY wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:09 am Mmm, how about the Seattle Nirvanas lol..?
Seriously though I always thought the Seattle Steelheads was a pretty cool name.

I do get the reason and sentiment for local flair for names which is why I really like the idea of naming St. Louis the Stallions.
And again, what’s with the Stallions name?? I thought the idea was to be original and professional sounding with strong ties (if possible) to the region….historically or otherwise. Can someone please explain to me what Stallions has to do with St Louis in any way? Other than being the planned name for the failed NFL expansion team and the proposed name for the Patriots had they made the move to St Louis, I see absolutely NO connection at all. In the first place, why would anyone want to be reminded of the snub the NFL perpetrated on St Louis? I think (at least for now) there’s a lot of anti-NFL sentiment in St Louis. Secondly, talk about an overused mascot!! Why not be the Wildcats or something (no offense to Wildcat fans out there) but come on. Recycled doesn’t even begin to describe Stallions. If someone can explain to me what Stallions has to do with St Louis, I’m all ears. Did herds of stallions roam free through the wide open plains of St Louis in the past…..um….no. No plains around St Louis at any point in history. And don’t tell me it’s a reference the Clydesdales. I also very much dislike that name although I will admit it at least has some ties to St Louis through A-B. But co-opting a corporate symbol? I think they can do better than that. In case you didn’t know, the Clydesdales are geldings. I don’t know about you, but naming a football team after a castrated horse doesn’t sound like an effective marketing plan. So, by definition, the A-B Clydesdales are not stallions since a stallion by definition still has his junk. There’s alliteration. That’s about all Stallions has going for it. What it has going against it greatly outweighs that. And, it definitely sounds bush league to me. (my opinion). I’ve asked a bunch of people to explain to me how stallions relates to St Louis. All I’ve ever gotten was blank stares and…”it doesn’t”
Anyway….sorry about the rant…but come on!!
Names I’ve heard for St Louis that’d at least relate to the city somehow:
Guardians, Sentinels, Pioneers, Explorers, Crusaders (I know that’ll never fly in today’s PC world) there’s others.
I’ve always been partial to Ironclads. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City-class_ironclad
Armored warships that battled up and down the Mississippi (and elsewhere) during the Civil War. Many of them designed by James Eads (also the designer of the famous Eads Bridge – at the time of it’s construction, the longest in the world) and built at the Carondelet Marine Ways in St Louis.
Enough about St Louis.
I personally am not a fan of most singular names or abstract names. I prefer persons, places and things. Nouns, not so much verbs, adjectives etc. Fury, Rage etc ….meh.
I’m not really in a position to make informed decisions about other city’s team names, but I like LA Mammoths, I think Galleons is a cool idea for Tampa. Seattle Emeralds maybe. Dallas Drivers works for me. Houston (maybe we borrow from AAF here) and go with Apollos. New York….Liberties? I dunno. Washington (I’m gonna break my own rules here) and go with DC Power
But back to original idea of this thread. I prefer more old school name ideas. People, places and things. Not a fan of singular…Wild, Force, Fury etc.

Let’s all hope the XFL does a great job with these names. The best part of getting the names out is that we can stop the bickering amongst ourselves about what will make a good (or bad) name. But then again, I guess once the names finally do come out we can start complaining about the choices they made.
Oh well….let’s play some football!
Oh my god bro! Thank you for that!!! I literally was LOL’ing!!!

I’m with you on those “singular sounding names”. They seem too “current” and won’t hold over well over time.

But I gotta disagree on the “Dales”. Huge majestic, regal horses, (the most famous being) from the area!! Balls or no balls, they still kick tail!!!
I thought it was "Less Stall....More ball!" ;)
XFLGUY
Quarterback

Post by XFLGUY »

DC coyotes has been mentioned and I’m not a fan of that particular pairing but wouldn’t mind coyotes for a different team. Coyotes to me has more of a western flair and think it would be a more natural fit for a team in the southwest.
GoDogs
Running Back

Post by GoDogs »

XFLGUY wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:18 pm DC coyotes has been mentioned and I’m not a fan of that particular pairing but wouldn’t mind coyotes for a different team. Coyotes to me has more of a western flair and think it would be a more natural fit for a team in the southwest.
Guilty. My thought process was that a patriotic theme was too on the nose, and my prior thinking (the Generals) was taken by a spring league team. Quick search of native animals resulted in coyotes or red foxes. (Lazy attempt for an animal mascot). Could play well on a flag or T-shirt tho?
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

XFLGUY wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:18 pm DC coyotes has been mentioned and I’m not a fan of that particular pairing but wouldn’t mind coyotes for a different team. Coyotes to me has more of a western flair and think it would be a more natural fit for a team in the southwest.
Then you're treading close to the Arizona Coyotes hockey team... not that anyone outside of Gary Bettman even cares about them, lol
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:02 am
Then you're treading close to the Arizona Coyotes hockey team... not that anyone outside of Gary Bettman even cares about them, lol
I kinda forgot the AZ Coyotes existed lol. I wonder what the final 2 logos will look like... We'll know in about 3 or so hours (I think).
Ready for the team reveals...again
XFLGUY
Quarterback

Post by XFLGUY »

Well I should have said western and not just southwestern because it would fit practically anywhere out there, not just specifically Arizona.
jcestl
Running Back

Post by jcestl »

XFLGUY wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:09 am In the first place, why would anyone want to be reminded of the snub the NFL perpetrated on St Louis? I think (at least for now) there’s a lot of anti-NFL sentiment in St Louis. Secondly, talk about an overused mascot!! Why not be the Wildcats or something (no offense to Wildcat fans out there) but come on. Recycled doesn’t even begin to describe Stallions.
Sorry LA.....but you got stuck with THE most overused name of all time. Half the high schools in the country are the Wildcats. Not to mention a bunch of colleges. VERY generic.

It will take me a bit to get used to the names, but my first impression is Underwhelmed. Not offended or anything....but they sound very Minor League to me. Pretty much all of them except NY Guardians. Again, I may get used to the names eventually.

Strangely, I woke up the other day with the idea St Louis Swords. Kinda prophetic in a way
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

XFLGUY wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:09 am In the first place, why would anyone want to be reminded of the snub the NFL perpetrated on St Louis? I think (at least for now) there’s a lot of anti-NFL sentiment in St Louis. Secondly, talk about an overused mascot!! Why not be the Wildcats or something (no offense to Wildcat fans out there) but come on. Recycled doesn’t even begin to describe Stallions.
Sorry LA.....but you got stuck with THE most overused name of all time. Half the high schools in the country are the Wildcats. Not to mention a bunch of colleges. VERY generic.

It will take me a bit to get used to the names, but my first impression is Underwhelmed. Not offended or anything....but they sound very Minor League to me. Pretty much all of them except NY Guardians. Again, I may get used to the names eventually.

Strangely, I woke up the other day with the idea St Louis Swords. Kinda prophetic in a way

If the NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB all started today, would their names be seen as generic, especially teams from 1990 onward: Sharks, Senators, Lightning, Panthers(2), Jaguars, Ravens, Grizzlies, Raptors, Dbacks, Rays, Predators, Thrashers, Texans, Bobcats, Golden Knights? (since the NFL recognizes Ravens as an expansion team for historical purposes they're included)
jcestl
Running Back

Post by jcestl »

[/quote]

If the NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB all started today, would their names be seen as generic, especially teams from 1990 onward: Sharks, Senators, Lightning, Panthers(2), Jaguars, Ravens, Grizzlies, Raptors, Dbacks, Rays, Predators, Thrashers, Texans, Bobcats, Golden Knights? (since the NFL recognizes Ravens as an expansion team for historical purposes they're included)
[/quote]

I'd agree that half those team names are "generic". I like a few, dislike most...not that that matters to anyone but me.
My point is still valid however....Wildcats is the poster child of overused and generic team names. See the Simpson's clip previously posted. All that "creativity" in LA and they came up with Wildcats? Just WOW!
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Yeah it is but sometimes "safe and boring" is better than trying to be too cute (I went with Stars but that could be accused of the same thing), example, they could have been Guardians instead of NY, that gives you (playing in the same stadium) the whole "Guardians of the Galaxy" thing but that gets stupid and gimmicky. It's exactly why I didn't go with Tampa Bay Machine in my sim league (the War on I-4 would have been Rage Against the Machine). That and Heather Brooks-Karatz comes from LAFC so that's not gonna work.

Let's see what the marketing looks like.