Team names

XFL Football discussion.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: Team names

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

The only thing I don't want to see is them try to name one of the teams "Washington Redskins" under the premise that the trademark isn't valid. That's something incredibly stupid and I think there's zero chance of that happening...

...so at this point, I don't care as long as they name them SOMETHING already!
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

jcestl wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:19 pm
And again, what’s with the Stallions name?? I thought the idea was to be original and professional sounding with strong ties (if possible) to the region….historically or otherwise. Can someone please explain to me what Stallions has to do with St Louis in any way? Other than being the planned name for the failed NFL expansion team and the proposed name for the Patriots had they made the move to St Louis, I see absolutely NO connection at all. In the first place, why would anyone want to be reminded of the snub the NFL perpetrated on St Louis? I think (at least for now) there’s a lot of anti-NFL sentiment in St Louis. Secondly, talk about an overused mascot!! Why not be the Wildcats or something (no offense to Wildcat fans out there) but come on. Recycled doesn’t even begin to describe Stallions. If someone can explain to me what Stallions has to do with St Louis, I’m all ears. Did herds of stallions roam free through the wide open plains of St Louis in the past…..um….no. No plains around St Louis at any point in history. And don’t tell me it’s a reference the Clydesdales. I also very much dislike that name although I will admit it at least has some ties to St Louis through A-B. But co-opting a corporate symbol? I think they can do better than that. In case you didn’t know, the Clydesdales are geldings. I don’t know about you, but naming a football team after a castrated horse doesn’t sound like an effective marketing plan. So, by definition, the A-B Clydesdales are not stallions since a stallion by definition still has his junk. There’s alliteration. That’s about all Stallions has going for it. What it has going against it greatly outweighs that. And, it definitely sounds bush league to me. (my opinion). I’ve asked a bunch of people to explain to me how stallions relates to St Louis. All I’ve ever gotten was blank stares and…”it doesn’t”
The way I've always looked at it is that the Stallions were supposed to be our team. St. Louis' team. Yeah, NFL teams have been here before, but they weren't born here. The Cardinals came from Chicago. The Rams came from LA. The Stallions were going to be our team. And now, after being stabbed in the back and having the knife twisted just 4 years ago, many St. Louisans, including myself, want a born and bred St. Louis football team. So we latch onto the Stallions.

Plus, St. Louis Stallions just sounds cool.
St. Louis BattleHawks
jcestl
Running Back

Post by jcestl »

SamTheRam28 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:28 am
And again, what’s with the Stallions name?? I thought the idea was to be original and professional sounding with strong ties (if possible) to the region….historically or otherwise. Can someone please explain to me what Stallions has to do with St Louis in any way? Other than being the planned name for the failed NFL expansion team and the proposed name for the Patriots had they made the move to St Louis, I see absolutely NO connection at all. In the first place, why would anyone want to be reminded of the snub the NFL perpetrated on St Louis? I think (at least for now) there’s a lot of anti-NFL sentiment in St Louis. Secondly, talk about an overused mascot!! Why not be the Wildcats or something (no offense to Wildcat fans out there) but come on. Recycled doesn’t even begin to describe Stallions. If someone can explain to me what Stallions has to do with St Louis, I’m all ears. Did herds of stallions roam free through the wide open plains of St Louis in the past…..um….no. No plains around St Louis at any point in history. And don’t tell me it’s a reference the Clydesdales. I also very much dislike that name although I will admit it at least has some ties to St Louis through A-B. But co-opting a corporate symbol? I think they can do better than that. In case you didn’t know, the Clydesdales are geldings. I don’t know about you, but naming a football team after a castrated horse doesn’t sound like an effective marketing plan. So, by definition, the A-B Clydesdales are not stallions since a stallion by definition still has his junk. There’s alliteration. That’s about all Stallions has going for it. What it has going against it greatly outweighs that. And, it definitely sounds bush league to me. (my opinion). I’ve asked a bunch of people to explain to me how stallions relates to St Louis. All I’ve ever gotten was blank stares and…”it doesn’t”
The way I've always looked at it is that the Stallions were supposed to be our team. St. Louis' team. Yeah, NFL teams have been here before, but they weren't born here. The Cardinals came from Chicago. The Rams came from LA. The Stallions were going to be our team. And now, after being stabbed in the back and having the knife twisted just 4 years ago, many St. Louisans, including myself, want a born and bred St. Louis football team. So we latch onto the Stallions.

Plus, St. Louis Stallions just sounds cool.
They can do better.....hopefully. We'll see
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

In my XFL sim league I relocated the Outlaws (uncertainty with Raiders move/new stadium) to St. Louis and was considering Viceroys, which would have been something of a running gag considering their new status as rivals in the I-70/Missouri Mayhem battle with the Kansas City Monarchs, and the Monarchs went six for six against them in the playoffs. So ultimately I went with Stallions.

On that note, I also went with Sharks for Tampa Bay as a nod to the late legend Burt Reynolds the same way Bandits was (Sharkey's Machine, BTW Machine was also considered but Tampa Bay Machine, despite having obvious connections, plus the added bonus of 'Rage against the Machine' for the war on I-4 against Orlando, would have been too easy)
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

MGB01 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:22 pm In my XFL sim league I relocated the Outlaws (uncertainty with Raiders move/new stadium) to St. Louis and was considering Viceroys, which would have been something of a running gag considering their new status as rivals in the I-70/Missouri Mayhem battle with the Kansas City Monarchs, and the Monarchs went six for six against them in the playoffs. So ultimately I went with Stallions.

On that note, I also went with Sharks for Tampa Bay as a nod to the late legend Burt Reynolds the same way Bandits was (Sharkey's Machine, BTW Machine was also considered but Tampa Bay Machine, despite having obvious connections, plus the added bonus of 'Rage against the Machine' for the war on I-4 against Orlando, would have been too easy)
Where did you play a sim league and how do I get in? I actually created an entire alternate league in Madden by moving and relocating an entire conference. Madden only gives you a limited amount of places to relocate to and a limited amount of names. By the way, I have always liked the Stallions name. How ticked would some people be if it was The Dallas or Houston Stallions instead of St. Louis.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

I started my own XFL sim league out of a "What if" thread on the old XFL board circa Feb 2002, on Madden (which had built-in CATs, might have been the last one that did). The scene was a Hitmen/Xtreme game at the Coliseum on a glorious Sunday afternoon, which I was in the 619 (stationed there) at the time so I could appreciate it, as to where I am normally when February's miserable.

PM me if you're interested and I'll give you all the details
XFLGUY
Quarterback

Post by XFLGUY »

Vipers as a team name for Houston has come up in a different thread recently and I have to be honest that’s the sort of name that just seems entirely cringeworthy. Again it’s just my opinion, but it sounds very arena leaguish.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

XFLGUY wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:45 pm Vipers as a team name for Houston has come up in a different thread recently and I have to be honest that’s the sort of name that just seems entirely cringeworthy. Again it’s just my opinion, but it sounds very arena leaguish.
There are very few teams that I can think of that have snake themes in pro sports. Like Cobras, Rattlesnakes, Venom, Anacondas, Copperheads Or Vipers. I guess there is the Diamondbacks. There is also the Rattlers in college football. You are right that the Arena league has had it’s share of snake names.

It’s such a menacing and intimidating creature and has some religious undertones as well. The latter is probably why some teams have shied away from embracing a snake as it’s logo.

I have no issue with it. Snakes are fascinating creatures. You will just never see me own one.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

XFLGUY wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:45 pm Vipers as a team name for Houston has come up in a different thread recently and I have to be honest that’s the sort of name that just seems entirely cringeworthy. Again it’s just my opinion, but it sounds very arena leaguish.
Agreed.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GoDogs
Running Back

Post by GoDogs »

XFLGUY wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:09 am Mmm, how about the Seattle Nirvanas lol..?
Seriously though I always thought the Seattle Steelheads was a pretty cool name.

I do get the reason and sentiment for local flair for names which is why I really like the idea of naming St. Louis the Stallions.
Anyway….sorry about the rant…but come on!!
Names I’ve heard for St Louis that’d at least relate to the city somehow:
Guardians, Sentinels, Pioneers, Explorers, Crusaders (I know that’ll never fly in today’s PC world) there’s others.
I’ve always been partial to Ironclads. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City-class_ironclad
Armored warships that battled up and down the Mississippi (and elsewhere) during the Civil War. Many of them designed by James Eads (also the designer of the famous Eads Bridge – at the time of it’s construction, the longest in the world) and built at the Carondelet Marine Ways in St Louis.
Enough about St Louis.
I personally am not a fan of most singular names or abstract names. I prefer persons, places and things. Nouns, not so much verbs, adjectives etc. Fury, Rage etc ….meh.
I’m not really in a position to make informed decisions about other city’s team names, but I like LA Mammoths, I think Galleons is a cool idea for Tampa. Seattle Emeralds maybe. Dallas Drivers works for me. Houston (maybe we borrow from AAF here) and go with Apollos. New York….Liberties? I dunno. Washington (I’m gonna break my own rules here) and go with DC Power
But back to original idea of this thread. I prefer more old school name ideas. People, places and things. Not a fan of singular…Wild, Force, Fury etc.

Let’s all hope the XFL does a great job with these names. The best part of getting the names out is that we can stop the bickering amongst ourselves about what will make a good (or bad) name. But then again, I guess once the names finally do come out we can start complaining about the choices they made.
Oh well….let’s play some football!
Oh my god bro! Thank you for that!!! I literally was LOL’ing!!!

I’m with you on those “singular sounding names”. They seem too “current” and won’t hold over well over time.

But I gotta disagree on the “Dales”. Huge majestic, regal horses, (the most famous being) from the area!! Balls or no balls, they still kick tail!!!