Team Names Coming when?

XFL Football discussion.
Xtremedb3
Running Back

Team Names Coming when?

Post by Xtremedb3 »

I'm thinking the week of the final pre-season game would be an ideal date to announce the team names.

A Monday announcement may generate more buzz for that week of football seeing that will end up creating 40-60% of the draft pool.

October is just around the corner!
Sounder
Coach

Re: Team Names Coming when?

Post by Sounder »

I believe college football starts up that weekend. They waited too long already. Having the names in time for summer would've been ideal. The showcases would've been better with a brand attached..... people should have team apparel on. I understand all the blah blah about complex this and that but they've had two years to do this . And please don't remind me again how the AAF waited till September because why do you want to draw comparison to that?
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

I don’t know if the league has a timing strategy involved. Other than to release them all at the same time. End of this month would be my guess. Week before Labor Day.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

At this point we have no idea until they announce the date. I don't feel like speculating anymore lol.
Ready for the team reveals...again
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

XFL_FAN wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:05 pm At this point we have no idea until they announce the date. I don't feel like speculating anymore lol.
Yes, anyone who dared to speculate has been proven wrong. It is time to wait now.

Could be next week, and could be next month. Yes, I know... the longer they wait, the less time they'll have for marketing. But, clearly the XFL is focused on getting this right, and nothing else seems to matter.
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

mnelson wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:30 pm
XFL_FAN wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:05 pm At this point we have no idea until they announce the date. I don't feel like speculating anymore lol.
Yes, anyone who dared to speculate has been proven wrong. It is time to wait now.

Could be next week, and could be next month. Yes, I know... the longer they wait, the less time they'll have for marketing. But, clearly the XFL is focused on getting this right, and nothing else seems to matter.
Well, they botched that already by forgetting that getting it right also means getting it done at the right time.

At the current rate, we might NEVER get team names this year. As Sounder stated, and I'm surprised someone actually agrees with me on this (!), the XFL missed its window of opportunity to catch its fans when they're not focused on the NFL.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Sounder wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:09 pm And please don't remind me again how the AAF waited till September because why do you want to draw comparison to that?
Heh. From another perspective, AAF got its team names six months after league launch and three months after its last markets were unveiled. The XFL is at 19 months and counting from league announcement and eight months and counting since the announcement of the cities. I think any sane person would admit that that's plenty of time to figure out any trademark issues.

At this point, any reason for not having their teams named by now is going to be a cheap excuse or acknowledgement of gross failure.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Everything XFL related is happening during NFL periods.

The XFL season takes place during NFL Free Agency in March.

The XFL season takes place during the NFL combine and the lead up to The NFL Draft.

The XFL draft happens during the NFL season.

XFL mini camps happen during the NFL season.

XFL training camps happen during the NFL playoffs.

XFL Team Schedules are being released during the NFL season.

XFL team names, logos and colors are being released during the NFL season.

XFL uniforms are being released during the NFL season.

Broadcast teams for XFL games will be announced during the NFL season.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Sounder wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:09 pm I believe college football starts up that weekend. They waited too long already. Having the names in time for summer would've been ideal. The showcases would've been better with a brand attached..... people should have team apparel on. I understand all the blah blah about complex this and that but they've had two years to do this . And please don't remind me again how the AAF waited till September because why do you want to draw comparison to that?
The XFL hasn’t had two years to name the teams. They didn’t have cities until December.

I agree that they should have been released by now. The names and logos at least. Less than ideal that we are going to get them in August or early September but we don’t know the reason behind it. For all we know, the league may be working behind the scenes to secure specific names that were tied to the AAF, that they didn’t foresee becoming available until they folded in April.
greensoup
Kicker

Post by greensoup »

I disagree that the team name announcements are overdue. If anything, announcing too soon is a greater risk. The league is new and the real excitement around it won't happen until 2020. The team names and logos can come at that time - for now the city can be the focus and it keeps attention on the XFL itself. Marketing will be more local and team-oriented once play starts, because honestly as far as fans care there's no team until they are playing games.