What should the location/name of the XFL championship game be?

XFL Football discussion.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: What should the location/name of the XFL championship game be?

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Well, it won't be the 2nd Big Game at the End of the Season, that much is sure. :lol: Other than that, they can call it whatever they want.

I think—for the most part—that the best-ranked regular season team is going to be the most viable. New York, Tampa Bay, St. Louis, Dallas, Houston—none of those cities have conflicts with their home venues during the spring. Los Angeles, Washington and Seattle might be more problematic depending on MLS... but there are other options, some of them bigger to accommodate a larger, championship crowd (assuming there isn't a 2001-style collapse in interest). The idea of using it as a potential expansion test bed, though, I find that intriguing. I'm definitely of the opinion that they should NOT choose a city that hosts the XFL already before the season is decided. That might set up a nightmare scenario: say they use the crossover, and they end up with Seattle and Los Angeles, playing in St. Louis which hates them both. Why would they turn out for that?

The X trophy they used in 2001 would be one thing worth reviving, though...
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

I'm for the top seed hosting as well. It'll guarantee the best possible attendance.....and give teams something to play for right to week ten. Should they do a one week break between semis and x bowl?.......or two? Just to hype it up more and give fans of the visitor a chance to travel.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

The Alpha Bowl is fine but I still prefer the X Bowl. I think that the overall best team gets the X Bowl with the proviso that their attendance during the regular season is minimally acceptable. How about the Madden Trophy? In the case of Seattle winning the X Bowl, they could hold the game at nearby Husky Stadium if Century Link is not available; it can hold 70k and somechange.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
bigtimejimmytim
Rookie

Post by bigtimejimmytim »

i was always partial to "The Big Game at the End" from the original XFL that they changed before it even occured, but that has probably a stigma of gimicky too it , i just thought it was funny

could go the route of the movie semi pro and call it the MEGA BOWL lol but X Bowl is probably the easiest to market as many fans may not get the Alpha Bowl relation
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

bigtimejimmytim wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:38 am i was always partial to "The Big Game at the End" from the original XFL that they changed before it even occured, but that has probably a stigma of gimicky too it , i just thought it was funny

could go the route of the movie semi pro and call it the MEGA BOWL lol but X Bowl is probably the easiest to market as many fans may not get the Alpha Bowl relation
Mega Bowl is funny. I suppose that the XFL could sign a sponsorship deal and name the game that way.

You are right that people might not get the Alpha reference. Alpha has different meanings. It can mean first or in this case supreme like an Alpha Male.

I think X Bowl is probably a safer bet. If the league names the game at all.
EDSN
Kicker

Post by EDSN »

1st post! Hey everyone!

I don’t really have a strong opinion on where the game should be held, but for the sake of the question I think a neutral site is the fair way to do it.

I do have a strong opinion about the name of the championship game though. I said this on twitter and I’ll say it again here...The Classic. It’s not another bowl name, and it still has that grand feel to it. The Classic 2020, 2021, etc. It has a nice ring to it.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

EDSN wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:04 pm 1st post! Hey everyone!

I don’t really have a strong opinion on where the game should be held, but for the sake of the question I think a neutral site is the fair way to do it.

I do have a strong opinion about the name of the championship game though. I said this on twitter and I’ll say it again here...The Classic. It’s not another bowl name, and it still has that grand feel to it. The Classic 2020, 2021, etc. It has a nice ring to it.
Welcome to the board EDSN. The classic is a classy name for a football game. It has an old school feel to it. I like it. Not sure if any other name would be attached to it. Sounds like you are going for just 'The Classic'.
EDSN
Kicker

Post by EDSN »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:40 pmWelcome to the board EDSN. The classic is a classy name for a football game. It has an old school feel to it. I like it. Not sure if any other name would be attached to it. Sounds like you are going for just 'The Classic'.
Thanks for the warm welcome!

That’s correct. Much like how the Super Bowl isn’t the NFL Super Bowl. It’s just the Super Bowl.

I originally was thinking of calling it the XFL Football Classic, but The Classic seemed strong enough on its own. Feels like something that has been around for years even though it’s brand new.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Strong first post. My first thought is the World Baseball Classic, which returns in 2021.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:40 pm I'm definitely of the opinion that they should NOT choose a city that hosts the XFL already before the season is decided. That might set up a nightmare scenario: say they use the crossover, and they end up with Seattle and Los Angeles, playing in St. Louis which hates them both. Why would they turn out for that?
Off topic but why is St. Louis supposed to hate Seattle?
St. Louis Battlehawks