What should the location/name of the XFL championship game be?

XFL Football discussion.
Firecop
Coach

Re: What should the location/name of the XFL championship game be?

Post by Firecop »

Weren't they past Division rivals when the Seahawks were in the AFC?
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

XFLInSTL wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:59 am
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:40 pm I'm definitely of the opinion that they should NOT choose a city that hosts the XFL already before the season is decided. That might set up a nightmare scenario: say they use the crossover, and they end up with Seattle and Los Angeles, playing in St. Louis which hates them both. Why would they turn out for that?
Off topic but why is St. Louis supposed to hate Seattle?
Division rivalry.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

XFLInSTL wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:59 am
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:40 pm I'm definitely of the opinion that they should NOT choose a city that hosts the XFL already before the season is decided. That might set up a nightmare scenario: say they use the crossover, and they end up with Seattle and Los Angeles, playing in St. Louis which hates them both. Why would they turn out for that?
Off topic but why is St. Louis supposed to hate Seattle?
Because the city of Seattle and it’s people deserve to be hated just for their overall essence and being. Plus Jim Zorn is a goofbalI. I am just kidding. I love Seattle.

I suppose the two cities have some history as rivals in the NFL. St.Louis is great because it’s in the middle of everything location wise. So it’s easy for them to build natural rivals with teams in the west and east.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

EDSN wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:04 pm 1st post! Hey everyone!

I don’t really have a strong opinion on where the game should be held, but for the sake of the question I think a neutral site is the fair way to do it.

I do have a strong opinion about the name of the championship game though. I said this on twitter and I’ll say it again here...The Classic. It’s not another bowl name, and it still has that grand feel to it. The Classic 2020, 2021, etc. It has a nice ring to it.
That’s pretty cool. One of the options could be to call it The Spring Football Classic. Since this is after all a Spring Pro Football League.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

One neutral site option for the league’s championship game could be Las Vegas.

The championship game is scheduled for Sunday April 26th. The NFL draft is also taking place in Vegas from April 23rd through the 25th.

You could do what wrestling companies do during WrestleMania weekend. The XFL can piggy back the NFL during draft weekend. There are guaranteed to be over a hundred thousand football fans in town for the NFL draft. The XFL could run the game at Sam Boyd stadium. A good enough size to get a near sellout. ESPN/ABC is already in town for the draft. So it works from a logistics and promotion standpoint since the game is going to be on ESPN. The game is also scheduled at a good time. 3pm eastern. So out of town fans can watch the game and then not have to leave late or the next day.

This is what wrestling companies do during WrestleMania weekend. Take advantage of the fact that WWE fans from all over the globe are going to be in town.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Great idea on Vegas for the championship; although, that might slightly benefit the two west coast teams. If I'm not mistaken Boyd Stadium is the home of UNLV and also the Las Vegas Bowl, so that would be ideal. Great thoughts LeoNY! The weather would be great and as far as betting goes.... it is Vegas Baby!
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

LeoNY wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:49 pm One neutral site option for the league’s championship game could be Las Vegas.

The championship game is scheduled for Sunday April 26th. The NFL draft is also taking place in Vegas from April 23rd through the 25th.

You could do what wrestling companies do during WrestleMania weekend. The XFL can piggy back the NFL during draft weekend. There are guaranteed to be over a hundred thousand football fans in town for the NFL draft. The XFL could run the game at Sam Boyd stadium. A good enough size to get a near sellout. ESPN/ABC is already in town for the draft. So it works from a logistics and promotion standpoint since the game is going to be on ESPN. The game is also scheduled at a good time. 3pm eastern. So out of town fans can watch the game and then not have to leave late or the next day.

This is what wrestling companies do during WrestleMania weekend. Take advantage of the fact that WWE fans from all over the globe are going to be in town.
Excellent idea. Something that the XFL brass needs to consider.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Sam Boyd was the AAF's original plan. My understanding is that ticket sales were dismal before they made the call to move the game to the Cowboys' practice facility. But hopefully the XFL will be in a different situation.

Piggy backing on the NFL Draft and sort of positioning it as a the bookend on a pro football festival is an interesting idea. It could also be marketed to locals as the final event ever in Sam Boyd, as the new Raiders/UNLV stadium is supposed to open in July 2020. That could work.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Tank55 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:48 pm Sam Boyd was the AAF's original plan. My understanding is that ticket sales were dismal before they made the call to move the game to the Cowboys' practice facility. But hopefully the XFL will be in a different situation.

Piggy backing on the NFL Draft and sort of positioning it as a the bookend on a pro football festival is an interesting idea. It could also be marketed to locals as the final event ever in Sam Boyd, as the new Raiders/UNLV stadium is supposed to open in July 2020. That could work.
The thing about Vegas is that 1) it has an extremely poor track record when it comes to selling tickets for pro football. The Posse, Locomotives, a few arena teams that came and went... all were at or near the bottom of their respective leagues in attendance. 2) The original XFL was the exception to that. The XFL and the Outlaws embraced Vegas culture and they ended up with attendance right around league average. But that was the old XFL. If the new XFL is distancing itself from its past, Vegas is probably out of the question.

A semi-related note 3) Canadian football had a similar approach: their university championship (Vanier Cup) is held on the same weekend as the Grey Cup, and when the same network held both, they used to use one to piggyback on the other. It was a major success and helped build attention for university football. When the rights to the Vanier and Grey Cups got split up, the ratings for the former plummeted. With ESPN holding both the NFL Draft and the XFL title game, feeding off that "we want football" vibe that the NFL Draft gives off offers that same opportunity, regardless of where the game is held.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Well, maybe things are hanging, look at the Golden Knights.